Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your lowest point during the Bailout Years

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Plates wrote: »
    The last few years have been a wet dream for Joe Duffy and his "tell me something awful" band of followers. There seems to be a huge chunk of the population who refuse to acknowledge that things are getting better.

Wheres my NAMA joe?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,033 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

After really cutting back everything for years and using savings to also get by...its really only starting to bite in badly now.
    Next on the cards is not fully paying the mortgage.

im deeply concerned of the thousands of families in arrears here. this is a ticking time bomb for the country

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

syklops wrote: »
    Wheres my NAMA joe?
    Actually I always thought that was a fair question.

I always thought that if you were going to prop-up any properties on the banks' balance sheets, surely you should start with the ones that have people living in them. Maybe there's something I'm missing. There was something odd about the idea of paying a developer to erect buildings in the middle of a collapse in demand.

conorh91 wrote: »
    Actually I always thought that was a fair question.

I always thought that if you were going to prop-up any properties on the banks' balance sheets, surely you should start with the ones that have people living in them. Maybe there's something I'm missing. There was something odd about the idea of paying a developer to erect buildings in the middle of a collapse in demand.

you just hit the nail on the head. theres very little out there to protect the ordinary man and we re the ones propping it all up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭blackcard

shuffles88 wrote: »
    My lowest point was when I managed to get a part-time job after being out of work and ended up worse off as a result. It was one of the bad winters we had and I couldn't afford to heat my house. I had to go to bed with gloves, a hat, a hoody and two duvets on the bed to keep warm.

There were a lot of stories of people like you going to bed, often hungry, just to keep warm. You have to admire the spirit of people who came through such times

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

The first low point for me was the day the bank guarantee was announced. I was seething at the gombeenism. Workmates laughed at me, they just couldn't see what it meant but they all came around in time.

I had worked in construction related industries until 06 when the writing was clearly on the wall so I took a pay cut by going to a service job that nobody wanted back then that I knew would get me through the property bust. My net pay was never affected as pay increments swallowed the tax hikes and because of deflation I actually had better purchasing power than during the bubble. We got some great holiday deals!

However the atmosphere in work had gone from very good in 2007 to terrible by 2010, the management went on sadistic power trips because they felt people were desperate for their jobs and they took advantage of it. Around 2010 my wife lost her job and after that we both said we'd had enough, packed out bags and went to Australia in 2011. I told work I was leaving six months in advance and they didn't bother me after that.

Back now a few months, we've both had no trouble picking up work. Don't know how long for, but my rainy day fund is being expanded so I can live for a few years in a cheap sunny country if Ireland goes nuts again.

Looking back on it now I'm still far more scared by my low point in the 80s than recent times. Materially it was far worse, part of rejoices everytime another young person abandons Finna Fail.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 Realist2

it didn't affect me, i have been going on more holidays, around 4 a year, i don't have a house, if i ever did buy a house, i would pay for it in cash, cut out the middle men, auctioneer, bansters, just a clean buy, didn't effect my job, work private sector, no kids, so its all good

• Registered Users Posts: 33,741 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The bailout years...in farming there wasn't a big boom in the Celtic Tiger era, it was seen as very unfashionable and by some rather backward, given the money to be made elsewhere.
    So when the recession started and the bailout came, it didn't initially make much difference, farming can be like a steady boat in a stormy sea.
    There were cuts in farm payments, the rural environment scheme was cancelled once the five year plan was up, replaced by a far inferior scheme with a lot less money.
    If one lived in a disadvantaged area farming wise, that was cut.

I was doing ok, until 2009 my cattle/cows got TB. It went on for two full years, I had young cattle not fit for a factory, and you can't sell on the open market as your herd is restricted.
    What was worse it was my main source of income that was being hit, milking cows were getting the TB.
    I had told the department of agriculture about dead badgers turning up, and thankfully they decided to cull badgers when the problem was not going away, and still doing it to this day. But once they started culling, the TB problem got solved.
    Whatever about cuts to payments from the state, th TB problem cost me thousands and thousands, a five figure sum, had to buy in much more feed for the extra animals and the loss in milk.
    But you get through these things, but at one stage you would wonder if it would ever end.
    That to me was worse than any recession or bailout.
    I wouldn't have been too badly affected by the recession, because just like farming wasn't affected by the celtic tiger, it wasn't overly affected by the recession, and had positives like making farmland much cheaper.
    People need food in good and bad times...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Tbh my life has only got better from 2008 onwards.

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

Some people here miss the point of the thread..."lowest point"
    Now feck off and start a "it didn't effect me at all thread" somewhere else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

and Fianna Fail support continues to surge :-

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/fianna-fail-in-poll-boost-as-fine-gael-big-losers-31317155.html

Were they not in power for a decade before the crash , then was it not there leader who agreed to the Bailout and was in power when the IMF took over the country .

That was less than 5 years ago , and people still think they are fit to rule. My mind boggles.

thebaz wrote: »
    and Fianna Fail support continues to surge :-

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/fianna-fail-in-poll-boost-as-fine-gael-big-losers-31317155.html

Were they not in power for a decade before the crash , then was it not there leader who agreed to the Bailout and was in power when the IMF took over the country .

That was less than 5 years ago , and people still think they are fit to rule. My mind boggles.

oh dont be surprised now come election time! im ready for it, are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭average hero

Well I've had an interesting few years! I suppose it all came to a head around a point in 2009-ish or so. My family had lost the (small) business in construction and my father was struggling with bills and the mortgage. He was probably going through some issues mentally too. My mother just left the family to eventually move in with the man she was having an affair with and my brother had dropped out of school due to both his behavioral issues and the stress around the house at the time.

Me personally, I dropped out of university twice (2007, 2008) and had a horrible breakup with a girl I was seeing. She was a toxic arse at times and I was to be better away from her, but I was responsible just as much but in different ways. I was dumped and I took the breakup very badly. There were weeks I had NO money in supposedly the prime of my life but I took it on the chin and marched on

Luckily I am a fighter, have completed a 4 year degree, am currently on a paid-for Masters course (not in the industry I want though ha) and have something of a career going. Martial arts saved my life - I kid you not.

Wow - just reading that now. Puts a lot into perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Plates wrote: »
    The victim mentality is alive and well unfortunately.

Thanks to your crowd many people have hardship.

Yes because putting FF/FG/Labour in time and again has worked out well for us

I don't believe we would be any better with Lefties or SF either.
    Just like the other parties they will probably be there just for themselves.
    Politics is rotten.

I don't believe we would be any better with Lefties or SF either.
    Just like the other parties they will probably be there just for themselves.
    Politics is rotten.

id agree with you there. i dont think theres anybody capable of sorting this mess out. it deeply concerns me. it seems like we re going around in circles. im expecting fianna fail to waltz back into power. as the asians say, same same! nothing has really changed in this country. i dont think we ve learned a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Couple of low points, losing my job, my husband losing his job, being subject to a repossession order and subsequent court stuff, day to day worry about how to pay this or that....its been tough and its still tough but life could be worse. I only have to think of the families of those kids in the U.S. to realise how lucky I am really.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Lending money to mates to help with mortage/rent,.

It wasnt pleasant going to liquidated companies and removing stuff whilst staff were there demanding wages, altho some liquidators are utter *****. One **** springs to mind in a womens fashion shop she was going around picking clothes and shoes for herself whilst staff where there protesting for their wages.

Thankfully never had a single issue with ex staff in these places, they knew we were just doing our jobs and didnt work for the liquidators as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Sparklygirl

The recession didn't effect us hugely as we still paid our bills and had good food on the table. We just don't have luxuries like holidays or meals out or expensive clothes. It was more the uncertainty than anything else that kept me awake at night. It was very stressful for my husband as he is self employed. I really believe it hit the men I know the hardest as they felt more pressure to provide and seemed to lose their jobs while my female friends kept theirs. Things are improving but to be honest the real problems will hit our family big time when the interest rates go up and we will have to pay 1600 quid again a month on the mortgage, we pay 1000 right now due to the ridiculously low interest rates. When they rise, there will be many families like ours in big trouble.

It is tough to have children with little disposable income, we would have had more children if we felt we could provide a good standard of living and education for them. We decided it best to have less children and give them a good start rather then more and not be able to provide well for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Simonigs1.0

I drove a 1988 Nissan Bluebird that people used to genuinely laugh at. I watched friends and family members take out mortgages, buy new cars, go on holidays etc. All of which they couldn't afford and somehow I was the mad one for not following. Suffice to say they are not exactly living lives of luxury now.

I'm sitting here, in my own house, car in the garage, wife-to-be by my side and a business doing well for itself. Absolutely no debt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭blackcard

I drove a 1988 Nissan Bluebird that people used to genuinely laugh at. I watched friends and family members take out mortgages, buy new cars, go on holidays etc. All of which they couldn't afford and somehow I was the mad one for not following. Suffice to say they are not exactly living lives of luxury now.

I'm sitting here, in my own house, car in the garage, wife-to-be by my side and a business doing well for itself. Absolutely no debt
    I got laughed at for buying a second hand car, the same people who laughed at me came looking for sympathy when they were struggling to make repayments for their mansions, landcruisers etc

ah dont throw it back at people folks, we can all make mistakes in life. be glad you some how made the right decisions in life but spare a thought for those that are in trouble. no debts myself but im deeply concerned for the families that are in trouble.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    ah dont throw it back at people folks, we can all make mistakes in life. be glad you some how made the right decisions in life but spare a thought for those that are in trouble. no debts myself but im deeply concerned for the families that are in trouble.

Me too.
    I just hate to see the young lads I coached at football having to up and leave because of the greed of others and seeing the pain of their parents at them leaving. That prat Noonan saying they leave because they want to was a kick in the balls to very good and decent people while he looked after his cronies.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Unfortunately lads the world over, the main cities is where the work is, it's just the way things are.
    No surprise really as it's been that way for the last 9,500 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Me too.
    I just hate to see the young lads I coached at football having to up and leave because of the greed of others and seeing the pain of their parents at them leaving. That prat Noonan saying they leave because they want to was a kick in the balls to very good and decent people while he looked after his cronies.
    Nothing to do with people borrowing way beyond their means, nope it's someone else's fault.

Nothing to do with people borrowing way beyond their means, nope it's someone else's fault.

Some obviously did but not everyone and young people just out of college certainly didn't.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Some obviously did but not everyone and young people just out of college certainly didn't.

There was a recession the world over, people have always had to emigrate to find work in countries the world over.

The bailout had nothing to do with the recession, my father told me this is the 4th recession he has seen Ireland come out of in his lifetime.

It's a cycle that will happen again in years to come.

There was a recession the world over, people have always had to emigrate to find work in countries the world over.

The bailout had nothing to do with the recession, my father told me this is the 4th recession he has seen Ireland come out of in his lifetime.

It's a cycle that will happen again in years to come.

That has nothing to do with the post you commented on.

eviltwin wrote: »
    That has nothing to do with the post you commented on.

It has though.

The poster said young people were leaving because of peoples greed.

Im pointing out the recession wasn't to do with greed, it was a global recession which was always going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

It has though.

The poster said young people were leaving because of peoples greed.

Im pointing out the recession wasn't to do with greed, it was a global recession which was always going to happen.

A bit of a climbdown there?

Advertisement