Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Ireland news thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭nice bit of green

Very disappointing, hope the players recover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

minitrue wrote: »
    10 years ago they probably wouldn't even have started by the time the innings was over. New drainage means they are out there very quick after the rain stops but still dank conditions. Floodlights (which help the ball move around even more) means they are playing in conditions that might have been too dark for any sort of pace. We were easily the better team over the entire game and things outside of our control (and taking a wicket a minute too early) means we end up with people who know no better calling it a shambles.

1 minute later and we wouldn't have got an over at them at the end of day 1 and their man of the match (the only batsman who could play without any pressure) wouldn't have had a chance of scoring 10 let alone be sick he missed out on 100.

Are you not grasping at straws a bit there? Their tail end night watchman scored 90+ of us and we couldn't get him for ages. Sure we did well to contain several of the other Eng batsmen and it was overall a great job in the field.

If you had reversed the positions this morning, we'd have been facing into some struggle to contain Eng to 180 odd runs in 2 days... It would have appeared a lost cause. Sure we got them for 85 on Day 1 but we'll never repeat that, it was a one off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Letting their nightwatchman run away and not putting up more runs in the first innings was what lost it.

That and strolling out in the 4th innings with the intention to nudge our way to 182. The conditions were in England's favour. We were going to lose wickets no matter what. The only way to play was to attack. Get them off their line and length and get them to push the field back.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Are you not grasping at straws a bit there? Their tail end night watchman scored 90+ of us and we couldn't get him for ages. Sure we did well to contain several of the other Eng batsmen and it was overall a great job in the field.

If you had reversed the positions this morning, we'd have been facing into some struggle to contain Eng to 180 odd runs in 2 days... It would have appeared a lost cause. Sure we got them for 85 on Day 1 but we'll never repeat that, it was a one off.

Yes, the only one of their batsmen who had no pressure top scored for them. He lived quite a charmed life in the very best of the conditions. They pride themselves on their middle order and regard themselves as having a nightmare when it comes to the top order (Nasser didn't even bother picking openers for his Ashes 11), what did their middle order do in this game? Very little, 171-2 saw them have another collapse.

Before the game there was plenty of talk about the lack of desire anyone would have to go out and try and take on Murtagh at Lord's with the new ball, he'd have been a much bigger handful this morning in those conditions and it looks like in Adair we might have found someone else who can bowl with real skill with a red ball when there's anything on offer to the bowlers, though I'm far from holding him up as a great hope as he needs to produce like that time after time! In the conditions from day 1 after the morning or day 2 we would have faced a lost cause to contain them to under 180 but in those conditions?

Post game there was plenty of questions from the Sky Panel on how any team could have handled this morning's bowling in those conditions. Balbirnie and Stirling have both been in wonderful form, if wildly undercooked for red ball cricket, but couldn't survive it.

And to Richard Hillman, what we needed was to survive long enough for the sun to come out and the lights to go off without losing a bunch of wickets. If anything it was our desire to try and play too expansively this morning to knock them off their game which put the nails in the coffin :(

I'm not saying we we're perfect but the way the weather fell really killed us ... combined with them sending out a night watchman without a care in the world until he reached the 90s at which point that pressure appeared and we even dropped him before he repeated the dose a couple of balls later. Yes, we got a tiny break with the weather last night and them deciding to bat on day 1, but it was nothing compared to this morning which was the stuff nightmares are made of.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,026 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Yep, Porterfield certainly didn't come out to push and prod anyway.

The weather hurt, the conditions suited England down to the ground unfortunately and when they got their tails up we had no answer.

Decent showing ending in disaster but still a great couple of days

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Yep, Porterfield certainly didn't come out to push and prod anyway.

Contributed 14 in the 1st innings and 2 in the 2nd... didn't push & prod alright but also didn't score any other way.

On a wider level, will we see a few retirements now?

BarryD2 wrote: »
    On a wider level, will we see a few retirements now?

Possibly. Playing a test match at Lords is pretty much the pinnacle of a cricketers career. That’s one of the reasons why England have a very average record there.

This could be the point a few of the older lads decide that it’s time for the younger generation to step up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Aegir wrote: »
    Possibly. Playing a test match at Lords is pretty much the pinnacle of a cricketers career. That’s one of the reasons why England have a very average record there.

This could be the point a few of the older lads decide that it’s time for the younger generation to step up.

Tbh Murtagh is probably the only guy we'd really miss at the moment, none of the batsmen are consistent enough and it might as well be a team of youngsters out there failing but getting the experience as old guys just failing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

The issue has been looming for years now.

If 3 of Porterfield, Wilson, o’brien And rankin (which is not beyond the realms of possibility) decide to pack it in then we will find ourselves in a situation where we have to replace 3/4 of our starting XI with players of such little experience.

The series against Zimbabwe offered some hope that some players might be coming through but it is an awful lot to ask for positive performances(let alone results) with such an inexperienced team.

*Granted there is a lot of “ifs and ands”

Ed Joyce did the right thing in my mind last summer. I’d still take him over porterfield or OBrien in a flash now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Always amazes me how much anti Irish horseh1t there is on the bbc comments section, many of which are getting upvoted if they haven't been banned. I understand it for something like Rugby which Ireland are more competitive at and a direct rival to England.

But for Cricket? Jesus, how bitter are some of these people? Plenty of slurs calling us micks and tinkers, referencing Brexit, WWII and Nazi's, the IRA, "take up bog snorkling instead" etc. Many also were happy to smash Ireland as they were fed up with hearing about Irish sporting success over the past week. Basically a reference to Shane lowry. Lol Golf?! Christ how sad and bitter are some of these people.

Wouldn't normally take sides for the Ashes, but I'm certainly not supporting England.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Always amazes me how much anti Irish horseh1t there is on the bbc comments section, many of which are getting upvoted if they haven't been banned. I understand it for something like Rugby which Ireland are more competitive at and a direct rival to England.

But for Cricket? Jesus, how bitter are some of these people? Plenty of slurs calling us micks and tinkers, referencing Brexit, WWII and Nazi's, the IRA, "take up bog snorkling instead" etc. Many also were happy to smash Ireland as they were fed up with hearing about Irish sporting success over the past week. Basically a reference to Shane lowry. Lol Golf?! Christ how sad and bitter are some of these people.

Wouldn't normally take sides for the Ashes, but I'm certainly not supporting England.
    The BBC comment section is surprisingly crap in general though, it's full of that kind of posting after every sporting event between any set of countries

Some people are w@nchors, happens everywhere. As the years pass, it’s upsets you less.
    The one thing we can all agree on tho is that sports are great, cricket or otherwise. And we’ll do them one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

Despite the rock bottom low of Day 3, the highs of the first two days have me really looking forward to Ireland's next tests. Unfortunately these are a while away: versus Sri Lanka in February, Afghanistan in March, and Zimbabwe in April, all away. We will then finally get our second home test, against Bangladesh in June of next year.

Despite the progress that's been made, it is slightly frustrating looking at the ICC schedule (https://icc-static-files.s3.amazonaws.com/ICC/document/2018/06/20/6dc2c8d4-e1a5-4dec-94b4-7121fab3cd7f/ICC_Tours.pdf) and seeing how empty Ireland's is in comparison to most of the other nations. Regular cricket (not just tests but ODIs and T20s too) is so important to growing the game and improving the side. Particularly disappointing is the lack of games for the last half of this year, when the rest of the full members seem to have quite full schedules. I wonder why we weren't fit in there somewhere.

The one consolation is five Ashes tests to look forward to for the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

There are a few games against Zimbabwe scheduled over the next few years. Are they in doubt now after their ICC membership was suspended?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,068 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Conchir wrote: »
    Despite the rock bottom low of Day 3, the highs of the first two days have me really looking forward to Ireland's next tests. Unfortunately these are a while away: versus Sri Lanka in February, Afghanistan in March, and Zimbabwe in April, all away. We will then finally get our second home test, against Bangladesh in June of next year.

Overall the future is bright I think.

Despite the progress that's been made, it is slightly frustrating looking at the ICC schedule (https://icc-static-files.s3.amazonaws.com/ICC/document/2018/06/20/6dc2c8d4-e1a5-4dec-94b4-7121fab3cd7f/ICC_Tours.pdf) and seeing how empty Ireland's is in comparison to most of the other nations. Regular cricket (not just tests but ODIs and T20s too) is so important to growing the game and improving the side. Particularly disappointing is the lack of games for the last half of this year, when the rest of the full members seem to have quite full schedules. I wonder why we weren't fit in there somewhere.

The one consolation is five Ashes tests to look forward to for the next few weeks.

Ireland will have the T20 World Cup qualifiers in October in the UAE. Tests are organised on a bilateral basis and I suppose still early days for Ireland to get regular test matches and to establish series rivalries. The World Cup Super League starts next year and Ireland will get 24 ODIs in that over 2 years including visits from NZ next summer and South Africa in 2021 amongst others.

The future is bright I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

50% refund being issued for friday will cover the drinking i did in camden town after lunch

• Registered Users Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

50% refund being issued for friday will cover the drinking i did in camden town after lunch

I believe you were 5 balls away from a full refund.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,324 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Is there an Irish Barmy Army?

It's the Blarney Army

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

"One song, we only have one song, we only have one song"

Beasty wrote: »
    It's the Blarney Army

As opposed to the Indian “Swarmy Army”.

• Advertisement

Or the Bharat Army.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,324 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

When I saw India in the World Cup it was definitely all "Bharat Army"

Long shot,

Does anyone know the stories of Macrus O'Riordain, Jack Carson, Mattie Foster and Sean Terry? All seem to have turned their back on Ireland to pursue a domestic career in England. What's the story there? If Ireland are a test nation then you're considered a foreign player in England and they can only have X amount, possibly none at academy level, and they're not going to waste that player on an average enough Irish lad when you can go for AB de Villiers or someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Derco

BOHtox wrote: »
    Long shot,

Does anyone know the stories of Macrus O'Riordain, Jack Carson, Mattie Foster and Sean Terry? All seem to have turned their back on Ireland to pursue a domestic career in England. What's the story there? If Ireland are a test nation then you're considered a foreign player in England and they can only have X amount, possibly none at academy level, and they're not going to waste that player on an average enough Irish lad when you can go for AB de Villiers or someone?

Sean Terry was playing in the BBL earlier this year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Derco wrote: »
    Sean Terry was playing in the BBL earlier this year

Perth Scorchers I think, but I think he retired completely, got a job offer outside cricket.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

Ireland will play England in a three match ODI series in September 2020, at Trent Bridge, Edgbaston, and the Oval.

Don't know about the other two, but tickets for Edgbaston are being offered in a ticket ballot which is open now, and will then go on general sale on the 10th of October. I've entered the ballot, fingers crossed!

Excellent, thanks for the info.

Mark Adair signs a central contract. You think if we're to have another "golden generation" and start qualifying for world cups again, Mark Adair is only 23, he took wickets at Lords. He's tall, he bowls fast and he's decent with the bat. He'll definitely be one to keep an eye out for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

Ireland have made a good start to the Women's T20 qualifying. They beat Namibia yesterday and the Netherlands today. That means they've qualified for the semi final. If they can beat Thailand on Tuesday then they should get an easier draw in the semi final. Only the two finalists qualify so two big games coming up for them.

Advertisement