Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General FPL Chat 2015/16

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

FHFC wrote: »
    Kane is flying well under the radar around here, and that's a dangerous place for him to be. Spurs have a quite good start after Utd game... STO, lei, EVE, sun, CPL.

Any thoughts?

Haven't given him a second thought. If he starts scoring I'll get him in. I'm hoping ade gets sold to villa to replace Benteke.

Haven't given him a second thought. If he starts scoring I'll get him in. I'm hoping ade gets sold to villa to replace Benteke.

Villa have just opened talks to sign ade. That's my 3rd striker sorted if that goes through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

Villa have just opened talks to sign ade. That's my 3rd striker sorted if that goes through.

ade?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

ade?

Adebayor

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Really? I've seen him in a lot of people's teams and he's the 4th most selected player in the game. Not in my team at the moment, I see Rooney and Aguero/Costa as being better shouts than him but..I didn't realize how good their opening fixtures are! Either way looks like I need Spurs cover!

Hadn't seen him in too many teams on here. Seen him much more on FFS. he was certainly not on my radar till I saw the fixtures. It's pretty much between him and Costa for me for gw1. Can't get it out of my head that Costa killed Swansea last season, a brace and a hat trick if i recall.

Edit. Yep, checking on that link I posted on the Resources thread and Costa scored 16 and 17 points in the two games vs Swansea last season.

• Advertisement

Really!? Don't think I've gotten over captaining him that time last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Julabo

So my 6th year doing fantasy. But 1st where I actually want to win!

So going to thank all in advance for your advise. I shall be lurking here all season.

Really!? Don't think I've gotten over captaining him that time last year!

Think of all your other captain fails and don't just pick on poor ade ha.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭Paddy Dreadful

Anyone have sadio mane in there team , has an eye for goal and can be explosive ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,689 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Anyone have sadio mane in there team , has an eye for goal and can be explosive ?

Really tempted to put him in, at 8.0 he is a reasonable price plus is a starter. Currently in my draft team with a real good chance of staying there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Julabo wrote: »
    So my 6th year doing fantasy. But 1st where I actually want to win!

So going to thank all in advance for your advise. I shall be lurking here all season.

I had my best season by far last season. It's no coincidence that I stumbled across this thread and followed it all season that helped me. Watch your rankings soar :P!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

He blows hot and cold. Unfortunately I had him last season when he was cold, so not for me as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

He blows hot and cold. Unfortunately I had him last season when he was cold, so not for me as yet.
    It's funny how what a player had done previously for you impacts your desicion. Mane's hattrick last May pretty much won me a money league so he's definitely back for me.

10 goals in 30 appearances last season.

Its quiet around here, three long weeks to wait.

Heres one I'd like to see some of the opinion on around here. This FFS Hot Topic makes a case for spending big on defence, something that is against the grain for quite a few of us around here, myself included.

I'm sure there is something wrong with this argument, but it is making me reconsider maybe going with Ivanovic. What do yous think?

http://www.fantasyfootballscout.co.uk/comment/10549220

Heres one I'd like to see some of the opinion on around here. This FFS Hot Topic makes a case for spending big on defence, something that is against the grain for quite a few of us around here, myself included.

I'm sure there is something wrong with this argument, but it is making me reconsider maybe going with Ivanovic. What do yous think?

I read that last night and have been giving it a bit of thought. I think there is a bit of a flaw to it due to only having to pick 3 from 5 defenders will need to get the paper and pen out to think it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I've been doing it for a while people get too wrapped up in having certain players. Every season is different though and a lot of how to approach it best depends on where the value players emerge. Last season we had ridiculous value up front which allowed for a bigger spend further back than most sesaons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Invincible

I'll go with budget defense again, as in last few seasons game, having had Ivanovic and Kolorov intermittently. The case for not having Ivanovic is based on his short spells of assists/goals followed by mediocre scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Traditionally, and this is totally anecdotal on my behalf but defenders from the big hitting teams concede more often early on in the season before tightening up as they push past Christmas.

Especially with the budget at 100.0 at the start and not having the luxury of defenders it's easy enough even if I'm wrong. Especially perhaps after European games where there can be rotation or tiredness or both. The fixtures also seem to favour the cheap teams early on.

Like I said I can base this on nothing but my own memory. In saying that Ivanovic should then score huge for the first few GWs before not scoring again until about February :pac:

Also I've had Austin in my GW1 team last year and JRod in my GW1 team the season before as cheap 3rd forward. Both had cracking seasons but didn't do anything for the first 2 months before igniting. Austin even missed a penalty and then got injured in GW2 but became a hero later. Coincidence, probably but these little things stick in my head.

Further evidence as to why I like to play things my way. It'll work one year and that'll be better than a top 5k-10k season each year playing it by consensus and logic.

Attacking players should score more than defenders, even if it's in bursts. So while it's an interesting notion I'd rather not limit my points scoring potential to a possible clean sheet and occasional attacking return. This may have turned into a ramble halfway through :)

I read that last night and have been giving it a bit of thought. I think there is a bit of a flaw to it due to only having to pick 3 from 5 defenders will need to get the paper and pen out to think it through.

So you were lying awake thinking about it as well!?!? :D

Yeah, I was thinking along those lines. If you tie up big bucks in three premium defenders youeffectively need to tie up another 8-9m on your bench as well.

You also have to sit through periods where the top guys are conceding silly goals and you're getting 2 points for your 6-7m.

Whereas if you rotate cheaper defenders you can hopefully get a similar points per game for the games you play them by getting a higher chance of clean sheets based on the fixtures.

Another point is that the average ppg season long is not what its about in this game. You have transfers etc so you can "surf" on the form players and strong fixtures. As an example, if Ivans ppg was 4.9 last year what would take you from an average rank to an elite rank would be owning him when he was averaging 6-7ppg (because he was on form or had easy fixtures) and not owning him when he was getting 1-2ppg (when he was getting all those yellow cards for example).

The follow on is having 27, 28m tied up in 5 defs gives you far less flexibility to "surf" the waves of form/fixtures for the big attackers. I.e. if Hazard, Sanchez and Aguero were all in good runs you'd be struggling to accomodate them.

Yeah I tried to work through this logic a few times last year with a Baines (which I failed to explain properly).

You need to consider 2 positions together to get the true picture. So if ya take a DEF/FWD together, a Baines/Ivanovic works well when you have cheap strikers to balance (Austin/Kane etc). If there's no cheap on-form forwards, then you're better off with 5m Def and 8m striker than Ivanovic/Naismith (for example).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

So! I'm back in business "early" this year though I'm far from being in full FPL mode :D...

Nice to see the forum already so lively (just went through the last 30 pages of this thread to catch up with THE game :P).

About the new features in the game. Let's be frank: I don't particularly like them. It just adds more luck and "flukyness". But I can see why they did it.
    It seems obvious (now) that the 3X(C) and 15men squad are to be used on a post WC DGW which will make us need everything to go our way for two consecutive weeks to take the biggest advantage of it.
    Don't see the point in the 2-5-3 one. I'm sure stats could prove that with the budget we have it is the weekest set-up.
    Not sure yet what to think about the WC change. I'm actually surprised it appears to be nicely accepted here since I remember many (most?) boardsies "complaining" about the second WC last year which was not really the case since one of the WC was a 1 month one. But now 2 WC it officially is indeed!
    All that said, as I like to say, this is a game about how fast you can adapt to any situation.

About the French players.
    Shall I remind you all that next year will see the Euro taking place in France. So all French players close to Les Bleus will be eager to shine to get included in the team.
    First name that comes to mind here is Dimitri Payet!
    Second is Yohann Cabaye. He left PSG to get gametime and not lose his place with Les Bleus (though Deschamps loves him).

But. But! BUT!
    Payet has disappointment written all over him. Very very very inconsistent player. He had a great season last year with Bielsa but I'd be careful about him.
    Cabaye is a big unknown. I really like him as a player. He was great in Lille and should have been given the central midfield role with Les Bleus back then. He eventually got it with his good performance with Newcastle but his time with PSG was a disaster for him. No game time. He's lost his efficiency and his poor form was also reflected with Les Bleus. I do agree that we can't take his PSG stats as a guide for what he'll do in CP but he's lost a lot of confidence. Apparently he liked and is happy to be working again with Pardew. I don't know how quick the latter can boost his confidence back up but FPL-wise I'd wait and see. That said his price is great.

Well I have some reading to do now with all the links already flying in here :P...

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Yeah I tried to work through this logic a few times last year with a Baines (which I failed to explain properly).

You need to consider 2 positions together to get the true picture. So if ya take a DEF/FWD together, a Baines/Ivanovic works well when you have cheap strikers to balance (Austin/Kane etc). If there's no cheap on-form forwards, then you're better off with 5m Def and 8m striker than Ivanovic/Naismith (for example).

This is spot on also.

Effectively, using yer mans ppg premise:

If you go for Ivan at 4.9ppg but as a result can only afford Naismith (for example) at a (notional for illustration purposes) ppg average of 2.5, then your combinded average return in 7.4ppg.

If you have a decent rotating 9m pair who return 3.9ppg on average and can then afford Benteke or JRod or someone in that range who can score 3.5-4.0ppg then you are matching or bettering the other combo, but have a more balanced, flexible team.

iroced wrote: »
    First name that comes to mind here is Dimitri Payet!.....

But. But! BUT!
    Payet has disappointment written all over him. Very very very inconsistent player. He had a great season last year with Bielsa but I'd be careful about him.
    Think Payet will be my gamble to begin with. 2 goals and an assist in a preseason friendly on Saturday

Hoping Bilic will play a full strength team in one of the Europa League games before the season kicks off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Piece in Irish Examiner claims Van Gaal has no plans to sign another striker this window - Depay to play in an advanced role, just off Rooney?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

Anyone considering going with Hazard AND Fabregas?

I have both in my current draft as I can't predict who will be better value for the first few gameweeks.

Piece in Irish Examiner claims Van Gaal has no plans to sign another striker this window - Depay to play in an advanced role, just off Rooney?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jul/19/louis-van-gaal-wayne-rooney-manchester-united

Its in the Guardian also. Rooney a must for now. Hard to justify both him and Depay at least from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Think Payet will be my gamble to begin with. 2 goals and an assist in a preseason friendly on Saturday

Hoping Bilic will play a full strength team in one of the Europa League games before the season kicks off.

I'm leaning towards Siggy over Payet

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

haven't read that but have 1 each from Arsenal, Chelsea and Man U in defense currently (17M of budget used). i think they'll be the 3 standout teams in defense this season so i think there's value there. Also takes away the headaches of when you have a bunch of cheaper defenders and wondering who to rotate

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Yeah but that's exactly the trap with him! He can be on fire for a month and then... no sign of life for a couple.

The hope is Bielsa changed him last year. If he can reproduce last season in the PL he'll be a must have. If...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

iroced wrote: »
    Yeah but that's exactly the trap with him! He can be on fire for a month and then... no sign of life for a couple.

The hope is Bielsa changed him last year. If he can reproduce last season in the PL he'll be a must have. If...

stats-wise(and i'm not so sure u can read much into this!), he's not followed up what you might call an excellent season with another one the following season...

definite potential to be explosive there though. is he a bit like Mane in that respect? all about getting him when he's on a mini hot-streak?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimitri_Payet

Advertisement