Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General FPL Chat 2015/16

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Payet is on my watchlist now. Looking at his stats on Wiki, 337 career games, 71 goals, 77 assists. That's a goal or an assist every 2 games. Not too bad at 7.5m. Will keep an eye on him anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Strongly considering the Krelliott combo for the first 8 gwks at least. They face United, Arsenal, Chelsea and City in that time...could be save points galore for Krul. Though that could be offset by all the goals they might concede :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

FHFC wrote: »
    So you were lying awake thinking about it as well!?!? :D

Yeah, I was thinking along those lines. If you tie up big bucks in three premium defenders youeffectively need to tie up another 8-9m on your bench as well.

You also have to sit through periods where the top guys are conceding silly goals and you're getting 2 points for your 6-7m.

Whereas if you rotate cheaper defenders you can hopefully get a similar points per game for the games you play them by getting a higher chance of clean sheets based on the fixtures.

Another point is that the average ppg season long is not what its about in this game. You have transfers etc so you can "surf" on the form players and strong fixtures. As an example, if Ivans ppg was 4.9 last year what would take you from an average rank to an elite rank would be owning him when he was averaging 6-7ppg (because he was on form or had easy fixtures) and not owning him when he was getting 1-2ppg (when he was getting all those yellow cards for example).

The follow on is having 27, 28m tied up in 5 defs gives you far less flexibility to "surf" the waves of form/fixtures for the big attackers. I.e. if Hazard, Sanchez and Aguero were all in good runs you'd be struggling to accomodate them.

I think we are on the same page with this one:D.
    Here is my thoughts on it hopefully it doesnt turn out as complicated as my points hit theory:eek:
    For the sake of keeping this relatively simple Im going to assume the 6 million defenders get 16 c.s per season and you play them every week and that the 4.5 defs get 9 c.s per season and you rotate them. Im also assuming we will play 3 at the back.
    Option 1
    kos azpil smalling and two 4.5 defs 27 million
    Option 2
    five 4.5 defenders 22.5 million
    With option 1 you get 48 c.s the 3 big hitters get 16 each.
    With option 2 there are 45 c.s up for grabs as you are rotating the 5 players(5x9). If you nail this rotation and leave no c.s on the bench you will get 45 c.s or an average of 15 c.s per def selected even though each def only got 9 c.s in isolation. Obviously you are going to leave c.s on the bench but it would be quite attainable to get 36 c.s an average of 12 c.s per def selected.
    I think the mistake people would make here is compare the big hitter c.s of 16 to the cheapie c.s of 9 and think their back 3 would bring in 48 c.s (16 x 3 )instead of 27 c.s (9 x 3) an extra 21 c.s when the reality would be in and around 10 maximum imo. With option 2 you also have an extra 4.5 to spend which means you can have hazard instead of hendo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

If Chelsea started with nice fixtures, I'd consider Ivan more but I'm not going to spend 7m and mostly rely on attacking returns for points. I'd have Azpi all day over him if I had the cash to upgrade my cheap defence. Right now, I'm on 8.5m for keepers and 23m for defenders

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Re the def strategy and CS analysis.

Again, whatever option you go for, the most important thing is to adapt quicker than most and not always try to outsmart everyone. e.g. it quicky became obvious last year that at least 1 Saints defenders was "necessary". Just before Christmas it also became obvious that a Chelsea def Terry :p was "needed". Associated with these 2, many 3-way cheapies rotations gave excellent returns.

I'd say the key at the start of the season could be to keep a bit of flexibility, maybe more this year than the previous ones since Copa America last year favourites will start the season later and you may need the cash at some point and obviously want to avoid a big pts hit or a premature WC. Whether you keep some cash from a very cheap defense or store some cash in defence is as valid an option as another. I'm not set up on any options yet but the big teams don't start very well CS wise as someone mentioned earlier in this thread so that's a start... Will have to confront that with the fixtures list...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

All this analysis hurts my head :(

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

Filipe Luis sold according to sky - does that mean Dave is nailed on for LB or have they another option ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

Filipe Luis sold according to sky - does that mean Dave is nailed on for LB or have they another option ?

Azpi will be nailed.

be surprised if they dont have a replacement lined up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

manual_man wrote: »
    be surprised if they dont have a replacement lined up

Baba Rahman from Augsburg. Approx 15m Sterling is a decent fee for a full back so he'll be pushing Azpil. No idea how he plays though so not sure if he'll be a fantasy asset if he can oust the boring Spaniard.

• Advertisement

Baba Rahman from Augsburg. Approx 15m Sterling is a decent fee for a full back so he'll be pushing Azpil. No idea how he plays though so not sure if he'll be a fantasy asset if he can oust the boring Spaniard.

Azpi should be safe to start off, with a full pre-season under his belt. might be a worry thereafter tho £15m is pricey enough for a fullback

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭basillarkin

manual_man wrote: »
    Azpi should be safe to start off, with a full pre-season under his belt. might be a worry thereafter tho £15m is pricey enough for a fullback

Luis was the Same or more if I recall and he saw very limited game time

Luis was the Same or more if I recall and he saw very limited game time

it didnt work out for him. doesnt say it wont for the new guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

Redmond worth a punt as a cheap 4th midfielder? Hadn't considered him at all before I read this.

http://fantasypremierleaguehints.blogspot.ie/2015/07/canary-watch-norwich-city-fc-guest-post.html?spref=tw&m=1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

The sound of Matteo Darmian being turfed out of a million FPL teams sounds like this.....http://www.espnfc.com/manchester-united/story/2529589/matteo-darmian-back-up-for-antonio-valencia-at-united

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

FHFC wrote: »
    The sound of Matteo Darmian being turfed out of a million FPL teams sounds like this.....http://www.espnfc.com/manchester-united/story/2529589/matteo-darmian-back-up-for-antonio-valencia-at-united

Wow didn't expect that! Weird I read that exact interview and it had everything else but that. Bet that journo has an FPL team and wasn't wanting to let the cat out of the bag! It could also be one of LVGs motivational techniques you never know with him he may well just be trying to keep Valencia sweet in case he is thinking about looking elsewhere.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Tim Sherwood has confirmed that Brad Guzan will start the season as Aston Villa’s No.1.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-boss-tim-sherwood-9695397

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

• Registered Users Posts: 48,184 ✭✭✭✭km79

jimmii wrote: »
    Wow didn't expect that! Weird I read that exact interview and it had everything else but that. Bet that journo has an FPL team and wasn't wanting to let the cat out of the bag! It could also be one of LVGs motivational techniques you never know with him he may well just be trying to keep Valencia sweet in case he is thinking about looking elsewhere.

valencia is currently injured too so you would imagine if darmian plays well next few games he will start

Who do you think will start up front for Sunderland? Would Defoe be your best bet?

• Advertisement

If there are any high rollers around there is a 1k (although will probably drop to $1k) buy-in league going round just in case anyone is interested looks to be 3 or 4 in so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,752 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

ugh dont like this 2-5-3, triple captain and bench boost bullshít

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

If there are any high rollers around there is a 1k (although will probably drop to $1k) buy-in league going round just in case anyone is interested looks to be 3 or 4 in so far.

Mother of God:eek:

stephenl15 wrote: »

Mother of God:eek:
    Last year the $500 got 13 (paid top 3) be interesting to see how many these get. Last year the total buy-ins across $50-$500 leagues was $20k pretty crazy alright.

Trilla wrote: »
    ugh dont like this 2-5-3, triple captain and bench boost bullshít
    Me neither but hey what can you do! I guess you could on strike and refuse to use all three that would show em!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Is Ibe likely to be a regular starter, would be tempting at 5.0 if so?

Is Ibe likely to be a regular starter, would be tempting at 5.0 if so?
    Been decent in pre-season unlikely to start the real thing though. He could play his way in with his pace has struggled with end product to date but everyone has to break out at some point be nice to have a 5m attacking player at a decent team. He's probably well down the pecking list for now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

sheroman01 wrote: »
    Who do you think will start up front for Sunderland? Would Defoe be your best bet?

Don't do it to yourself. Sunderland will be the lowest scores in the league this season unless they sign a creative central player and new striker before the window closes.

Paully D wrote: »
    Don't do it to yourself. Sunderland will be the lowest scores in the league this season unless they sign a creative central player and new striker before the window closes.

But....their fixtures are just so good.... :P

Ah, I know. It is risky. Not sure if I'll commit to it just yet. My current draft is quite cautious and I'm not taking many risks...Defoe is the only one so far :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Interesting - Patrick Bamford on loan at Palace for the season - surely going to be in the Wilson/Deeney range?

Advertisement