Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy VII Remaster/Remake

Options

Comments

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I'm kind of split on demos. Always remember playing the Destiny one months before it launched. I was climbing the walls for weeks after.

That's the point :D

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

The demo is all of chapter 1, it's the same one that leaked so pretty lengthy. It's not the showfloor demo (which I played :D) which is just a few fights and a boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

giphy.gif

lol.
    it's what I read so take it with a pinch of salt :p

The demo is all of chapter 1, it's the same one that leaked so pretty lengthy. It's not the showfloor demo (which I played :D) which is just a few fights and a boss.

Wonder will it allow you keep your save and carry it into the full game?

thinking-face_1f914.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It won't and SE said the finished game may differ from the demo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Nothing but people playing this live on Youtube now when you search up Final Fantasy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,329 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

lol.
    it's what I read so take it with a pinch of salt :p

It's real.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Smaller than a Call of Duty update, result.

Vicxas wrote: »
    It's real.

Ah bolox, can't carry progress :(

Ah bolox, can't carry progress :(

I reckon it's a separate build to the retail version to stop people cracking it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,682 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Awesome but same day as Division 2 expansion. Any reports on how long it takes to complete the demo? Wonder if I can blast through it before heading to the Divison.

I typically have 2-3 games on the go at anytime unless I'm no lifeing something. At present it's COD, the Division 2 and up until this weekend the uncharted collection, where due to one bs section near the end of 3 got deleted in a show of frenzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Waiting to go home and play the demo is gonna make this a long day...

Finished the demo there in about 40 mins. Plays really well from the brief time i got with it.

Torn between normal and "classic" mode for combat

Vicxas wrote: »
    Finished the demo there in about 40 mins. Plays really well from the brief time i got with it.

Torn between normal and "classic" mode for combat

Do tell more!?

Do tell more!?

Essentially rather than the FFXV combat style where you fight and issue commands on the fly it's more command orientated like the old games (waiting for your ATB to fill to make attacks etc)

Even in the action mode the game is balanced around making commands. The mashy attack stuff is less about dealing big damage and more about building up ATB and stagger. I think it also builds up MP.

I think this is why it shouldn't be compared to XV and is actually more classic in style than people realise, you just have mechanics to avoid and guard against now.

Have to say though on a technical level the demo didn't impress me. It feels lightyears behind a lot of other Unreal engine games. I don't know how much better the final product will be. Cloud's hair looks really bad. That's my main gripe so far (visuals not Cloud's hair :p)

Are you on a 4K Hdr TV or just Full HD?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,682 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭endainoz

Zero-Cool wrote: »

No surprise there, people know how the game is just based in Midgar. It's also a bit of a spoilery article.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

FFVII wasn't that long a game. 40 hours to beat it. And midgar was the highpoint, it was a bit downhill after that.

To be honest, I'm looking forward to playing a short concise 20 hour RPG that doesn't outstay its welcome. Two of my favourite RPGs of all time, Panzer Dragoon Saga and Parasite Eve, were about 20 hours long and their brevity and fast pace was one of the reasons I loved them. All killer no filler. Bring it on.

Also interested in how the spruce up the less impressive middle and back end of FFVII. Would be nice to see them cut some of the bloat out of it and make it a more concise experience and add a few more sections to make it more fun. But we will probably have to wait 10 years to see that going by Square's track record!

I disagree that Midgar was the best bit but yeah I think they should use the opportunity to examine what parts need to be in this project and which don't. I would take out Huge Materia, or make that part way shorter.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Parasite Eve

Loved the second game, there's two games that could definitely do with a remaster of sorts.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Midgar was very hit and miss for me personally. Some places oozed character, others were monotonous and dull. Anyway each to their own.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Loved the second game, there's two games that could definitely do with a remaster of sorts.

Much prefer the first game. The second one to be is a poor mans resident evil whereas the first is one of the best action RPGs ever made.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Much prefer the first game. The second one to be is a poor mans resident evil whereas the first is one of the best action RPGs ever made.
    Meh, I'm not as picky :)
    I enjoyed both. Second is fairly Resi-ish, but I liked it.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Meh, I'm not as picky :)
    I enjoyed both. Second is fairly Resi-ish, but I liked it.

Didn't hate it but I think a lot of it was they went resident evil with it and as a result it was no where near as good or as interesting as the first game.

Anyway, yes to shorter RPGs! FFVII was meant to be a 20 hour RPG set in New York early in development but the management deemed it too much of a change so that idea became Parasite Eve (which I think is the better game). A shame Europe never got the first one.

I miss 90's Squaresoft.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭endainoz

Can't wait to give this a go later on. I went through the original on PS4 one more time but it's kind of unplayable at normal speed for me now. But it was very handy for grinding for character stats. Oh and I finally beat the two weapons for the first time ever! So I think I'll leave the original alone now. Game is truly complete for me now, only took 23 years.

Emerald Weapon was ok but Ruby was a headwrecker. When I beat it I was down to Tifa hitting it with limit breaks, Knights of the Round mimed, Ultima *4, staying alive with Phoenix and something connected to Life that auto cast on death. Battle went on for hours it seemed.
    Little Tifa looked tiny but she made it in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Just finished the demo there. really enjoyed it. Music / audio sounded great in surround sound and the boss battle was pretty challenging. I died 3 times. Nostalgia overload

Advertisement