Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Scams have you only just Realised?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

fryup wrote: »
    €7.50 for parking just over an hour at dublin airport yesterday :mad:

at least its not the UK they charge far more than that! the missus waited for me in stansted for 14 mins and it cost her 8 pound!! granted thats just a set down area but really who is arsed walking to the short term area in stansted!?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Wood

Euro tolls are nothing, just back from Copenhagen. One toll was c.a €85 for a trip that was maybe dublin to belfast in length. Then we had to come back.

€170 quid round trip where the petrol was less than half the price of the toll.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^

:eek: €85

were you driving over a bridge made of gold ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

bank charges...

a new one BOI recently invented ....cash handling fee.

27c per 100e
    considering I paid my staff in cash until recently - i got the charges bill .. a wage run was costing me about 25e a month.
    That is one transaction - I'd like 9000k please - teller: *counts it* "there you are now boss"

and I'd walk back to the shop and put it in envelopes.

robbery...staff now get it by cash transfer which they dislike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭deadybai

Wood wrote: »
    Euro tolls are nothing, just back from Copenhagen. One toll was c.a €85 for a trip that was maybe dublin to belfast in length. Then we had to come back.

I remember this happened me in Portugal also. 85 quid each way. We were wondering on the way up why was the road empty. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭deadybai

Realised it over a year ago now but the Fifa PS3 games always promise to have the most up to date technology yet with improved physics and what not. Yet the game hasnt changed since Fifa 11. Now I just buy the one the year behind dirt cheap when the new one is released.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

arayess wrote: »
    bank charges...

a new one BOI recently invented ....cash handling fee.

27c per 100e
    considering I paid my staff in cash until recently - i got the charges bill .. a wage run was costing me about 25e a month.
    That is one transaction - I'd like 9000k please - teller: *counts it* "there you are now boss"

and I'd walk back to the shop and put it in envelopes.

robbery...staff now get it by cash transfer which they dislike.

Hardly a scam in fairness, they were charging you for the service.

Also, can't believe people were still getting paid in cash and 2015 and do you realise the security risk you were taking walking back from the bank every week with €9k cash.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Hardly a scam in fairness, they were charging you for the service.

Also, can't believe people were still getting paid in cash and 2015 and do you realise the security risk you were taking walking back from the bank every week with €9k cash.

do you think that charge is reasonable for taking my own money out of the branch in a 5 mins transaction? I'm not against paying bank charges but that's gouging.

my staff can be transient many of them prefer cash - i don't query their reasons. Some don't trust the banks , some don't have bank accounts. That's life on a low paid gig even though I pay them above min wage.

as for the security risk - I guess looking like a 15 stone al qaeda terrorist has served me well till now.
    But seriously , security and risk are overhyped - 9k fits in my breast pocket and nobody knows. I'd rather live my life free than be paranoid at every corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,335 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I'd like 9000k please - teller: *counts it* "there you are now boss"
    Did they put the 9 million into unmarked non sequential bills?

Akrasia wrote: »
    Did they put the 9 million into unmarked non sequential bills?

LOL...damn -

I demanded a plane to south america too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

as for the security risk - I guess looking like a 15 stone al qaeda terrorist has served me well till now.
    But seriously , security and risk are overhyped - 9k fits in my breast pocket and nobody knows. I'd rather live my life free than be paranoid at every corner.

sooooo...ah....which bank is this, and when are you usually there?

Your breast pocket you say...

/googles chloroform/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Yeah, I used to sell pensions.

Explains the "used to" at least :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Inheritance tax: Somebody over the course of their lifetime builds up assets, paying tax along the way for the accumulation of those assets... often paying double / triple tax such as income tax, VAT, stamp duty, household tax, USC etc. Then when they die and these assets are passed to someone, another tax has to be paid. Absolutely ridiculous. I have seen people who have inherited a house having to sell it because they cant afford the inheritance tax and getting bugger all for what was left to them.

Honestly cannot see the need for an inheritance tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

RoboRat wrote: »
    Inheritance tax: Somebody over the course of their lifetime builds up assets, paying tax along the way for the accumulation of those assets... often paying double / triple tax such as income tax, VAT, stamp duty, household tax, USC etc. Then when they die and these assets are passed to someone, another tax has to be paid. Absolutely ridiculous. I have seen people who have inherited a house having to sell it because they cant afford the inheritance tax and getting bugger all for what was left to them.

And as far as i know we have the privilege of being the highest in the world for that particular tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

Akrasia wrote: »
    Biggest scam ever is IMRO charging shops and businesses that play music over speakers

I used to work in a shop and play cds to keep myself entertained. I don't think Tom Waits, Sigur Ros, Alphastates, Lamb or any of the other non mainstream bands I was listening to ever saw a cent of the fee IMRO extorted out of the shop.

They never asked us what music I was playing. I bet yer man from boyzone got most of the money.

Thinly disguised "I have very non-mainstream and progressive taste in music"post.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭AlphaRed

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused:

Last I checked, lifting heavy things correctly for an hour a couple of times a week does build muscle.

And that's how gyms scam people. By their lack of knowledge. Believe it or not there are many different ways to lift heavy things a few times a week to get many different results. Not to mention having the right diet. For example you could lift to become a strong man and look like a barrel or you could lift like a fitness model and look like Rob Riches.

The world has become profit before people. Every year businesses have to make more than they did last year, this means coming out with B.S. that people don't need and it confuses them, this is especially so in the fitness industry. You know that ab roller that will give you a 6 pack, when the truth is abs are made in the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

The lotto is the biggest scam going.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

And as far as i know we have the privilege of being the highest in the world for that particular tax.

A quick google shows that we'e not.

http://taxfoundation.org/article/estate-and-inheritance-taxes-around-world

Japan is 60% higher than us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Inheritance tax is an odd topic, where people seem to miss the nuance, that the person who is being taxed, is not the person who has died and has already paid their taxes, but the person who is receiving income from the inheritance, and who must pay taxes on all their income (no matter what type - so long as they meet minimum income bounds for a particular tax).

Just about every transaction in the economy is taxed - when you buy a complex good made up of many components, such as a smartphone (or better yet, a car), the components have likely accumulatively gone through dozens/hundreds of taxes by the time the final product is put together and sold to you.

So, saying inheritance tax is unjust, is a bit like complaining about paying VAT on the final sale of a product, after all the components have already been through dozens of other taxes - or for paying VAT on a second hand product (e.g. car), when the person who originally bought it already paid VAT.

Nobody is entitled to a tax-free income - not even from family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Grayson wrote: »
    A quick google shows that we'e not.

http://taxfoundation.org/article/estate-and-inheritance-taxes-around-world

Japan is 60% higher than us.

Oh, it was prime time or some such on RTE that said we were, it was only in the last few weeks it was on.

Shops charging extra for X% free products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Inheritance tax is an odd topic, where people seem to miss the nuance, that the person who is being taxed, is not the person who has died and has already paid their taxes, but the person who is receiving income from the inheritance, and who must pay taxes on all their income (no matter what type - so long as they meet minimum income bounds for a particular tax).

But Irish inheritance tax is far too high:

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/our-inheritance-tax-regime-one-of-toughest-in-the-world-31291580.html
    Ireland has one of the most severe inheritance tax regimes in the western world, according to key US economic think tank.
    The rate that the tax is imposed at is the seventh highest in the countries that are members of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)
    And the tax kicks in here at a much lower value than in other western countries.

Also, the amount you can inherit before paying tax has halved, hitting people hard if they inherit a family home:

http://kclr96fm.com/families-nationwide-could-be-facing-huge-inheritance-tax-bills
    Rising property prices are pushing many people over the threshold for the amount you can inherit before tax which has dropped from €500,000 to €225,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Unsurprisingly, the think tank behind those stats is well known for fraudulent research:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Tax_Foundation#Criticisms

There are several hundred think tanks you can pick from, putting out garbage research like that, to give you the answer you want.

You get the first €225,000 tax free - that's one of the best deals out of any type of tax on income.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

" 5 euro credit for Vodafone, please."

"That'll be 5.50."

"Wait, what?"

Not really a scam, but feel totally mugged when it happens all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,347 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Wood wrote: »

Øresund_Bridge?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Billpay phones...just because

So, saying inheritance tax is unjust, is a bit like complaining about paying VAT on the final sale of a product, after all the components have already been through dozens of other taxes - or for paying VAT on a second hand product (e.g. car), when the person who originally bought it already paid VAT.

VAT is a tax on consumer spending. The customer pays VAT on the final item, ie the car, the hundreds of components may have had VAT applied throughout the process but most companies are VAT registered and can claim back that VAT, or the products are exempt as they may have been bought from another jurisdiction.

To put it simply, If the manufacturer makes a car, they have to charge VAT to sell to the distributor, they then sell to the garage and add their VAT... the manufacturer claims back their VAT. The garage then sell the car to a customer and the distributor claims back their VAT. Once the car is sold to the customer, the garage can claim back their VAT so therefore VAT is never really a cost in the chain. The person left paying the VAT is the customer, hence why VAT is a tax on consumer spending.

Also, I have never paid VAT on a second hand car, I have paid what they are asking and I can guarantee if its a private sale, no VAT has been paid.

What you are suggesting is not relevant. Its more relevant to say that it would be scandalous if someone received a birthday present and had to declare it and then pay a special tax on it when the purchaser has already paid a tax in the form of VAT.

Inheritance tax is wrong. it is not an income source, its a gift from somebody who has died so its wrong to apply yet another tax to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Enjoy Heroin Responsibly

Commission/Transaction charges on foreign exchanges -although not as bad as advertising "0% commission" but giving a crap rate.
    TOMP wrote: »
    Standing charges on ESB/gas etc. 20 years ago there were none.

There have always been standing charges on ESB bills

Telephone line rental is a bigger scam though -Especially when one only has the damn thing for broadband
    DuffleBag wrote: »
    TV licences
    Surprised thread got to 156 posts before that came up
    Because you don't see anything wrong with a sense of entitlement to an unearned, untaxed windfall either ?

• Advertisement

Because you don't see anything wrong with a sense of entitlement to an unearned, untaxed windfall either ?

Tax has already been paid, multiple times by the person who died... so no, I don't see the need to tax it, in the same manner as I don't see the need to tax a present/gift, or if a hard working parent gives their child an expensive gift or some money.

Not everything HAS to be taxed, especially when the government have already whetted their lips on it already.

Advertisement