Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Scams have you only just Realised?

Options
  • 15-06-2015 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

I'm going to say energy saver light bulbs and gyms.

Energy saver light bulbs because they have never made a difference to my electricity bill, they don't last longer and they are way more expensive. They perfected the light bulb a long time ago, leave it at that.

The gym because so many gyms are filled with machines and machines do not built muscle, and in order to do muscle building compound movements you have to be trained on how to do these and the instructors don't do this. They only give you crappy programs that don't help you in achieving your goals

It is in the gyms interest for you to fail. A gym has a theoretical limit to how many members it can hold, which means it has a limit to how much money it can make. However, if the gym is signing people up but those people are not attending, there is no limit to how many people the gym can sign up and so no limit to how much money it can make.

How many people attend a gym for 3 months and then give up because they don't see any results? And then they have to keep on paying the membership fee. This is what the gym wants. This is why they don't show people how to diet properly or how to use the equipment properly to get results.

The gym is a scam.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

What about energy saving lightbulbs in the gym? How do you feel about that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭The Dark Side

AlphaRed wrote: »

And I've stopped reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

my friend wrote: »
    What about energy saving lightbulbs in the gym? How do you feel about that?

Pyramid scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Weight watchers and other diet type foods - you loose weight because there's less of it - yet they charge you more.
    There must be some correlation between being fat and being stupid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

Most charities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭LadyFenghuang

Yuri Bezmenov: Psychological Warfare Subversion & Control of Western Society (Complete) for one!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

Energy saver light bulbs because they have never made a difference to my electricity bill, they don't last longer and they are way more expensive.

LED bulbs use a fraction of the energy, last massively longer, and cost you considerably less in the long run.
    They perfected the light bulb a long time ago

They didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Most charities.

Just €3 per week will pay for enough adds to torment half of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think OP's definition of a scam is not consistent with mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

Yuri Bezmenov: Psychological Warfare Subversion & Control of Western Society (Complete) for one!

???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Homeopathy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭LadyFenghuang

???

That's what I thought :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

The laws of physics would suggest that your point about light bulbs is wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I'd agree with the gym one. You can go running outside, free of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

The lotto, but luckily I've found myself a Nigerian prince who is actually a long lost cousin willing to give me a fortune in return for me just paying the transaction fees....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

Energy saver light bulbs because they have never made a difference to my electricity bill, they don't last longer and they are way more expensive. They perfected the light bulb a long time ago, leave it at that.

The gym because so many gyms are filled with machines and machines do not built muscle, and in order to do muscle building compound movements you have to be trained on how to do these and the instructors don't do this. They only give you crappy programs that don't help you in achieving your goals

It is in the gyms interest for you to fail. A gym has a theoretical limit to how many members it can hold, which means it has a limit to how much money it can make. However, if the gym is signing people up but those people are not attending, there is no limit to how many people the gym can sign up and so no limit to how much money it can make.

How many people attend a gym for 3 months and then give up because they don't see any results? And then they have to keep on paying the membership fee. This is what the gym wants. This is why they don't show people how to diet properly or how to use the equipment properly to get results.

The gym is a scam.

Is this going to actually an elaborate scam you're cultivating here?

Is it some sort of lightbulb scam which also gives us gym results for doing sweet F all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Just €3 per week will pay for enough adds to torment half of Europe.

But €3 just €3 please will make a difference ;)

Also agree with the gym one go buy a bike and get out and see the world instead of sitting on an exercise bike paying to watch tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭TOMP

Car insurance; if it was based on risk there would be more uniformity among the insurers. They just think up the amount of the premium and chance their arm.

Standing charges on ESB/gas etc. 20 years ago there were none. What is a PSO levy anyway? Just another scam

Booking office ticket booking fees/service charges

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

The amount of vulture capital funds picking the bones off businesses in the country with complete disregard for workers and how KPMG seem to be at the centre of it all. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Depends on the gym though. I give Ben Dunne €175 a year, I go more than 175 days a year.

Less than a euro a visit to use his facilities. I think I'm winning that battle.

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

Working as a paye employee...

TOMP wrote: »
    Car insurance; if it was based on risk there would be more uniformity among the insurers. They just think up the amount of the premium and chance their arm.

Standing charges on ESB/gas etc. 20 years ago there were none. What is a PSO levy anyway? Just another scam

Booking office ticket booking fees/service charges

Ahh, the PSO levy, my pet hate. I have a small shop which I run by myself. If I were to lock up in the morning and not come back for 12 months (without so much as leaving a phone charger plugged in) my ESB 'bill' would be €1700. I sh1t you not :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

Huge parts of the civil 'service'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭3qsmavrod5twfe

emeldc wrote: »

Daily Mail in Sensationalized Story Shocker.

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

Prepare for another mass scam, 1c and 2c are to be withdrawn, watch everything get 10% more expensive due to profiteering i.e. rounding off. Just like the Euro rollout.... :-(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Saipanne wrote: »

No. Ireland. Rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,468 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

The gym is a scam.

Do you even lift?

Daily Mail in Sensationalized Story Shocker.

Nope, spoke to a customer the other day who was 'skimmed' at an airport. The scam artists are walking around with mobile wireless terminals and anyone with a contactless card gets hit for €15. Think about it. It's simple.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Saipanne wrote: »
    That's not gonna help me lift though

Advertisement