Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Scams have you only just Realised?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭LadyFenghuang

bluewolf wrote: »
    That's not gonna help me lift though

Rocks. You can lift those!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Spreadable butter - straight from the fridge. It's a lie.

Resealable pack - who are you kidding? It's specifically designed not to seal just to make sure the ham dries out and curls up at the edges and has to be thrown out!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

AlphaRed wrote: »
    I'm going to say energy saver light bulbs and gyms.

Energy saver light bulbs because they have never made a difference to my electricity bill, they don't last longer and they are way more expensive. They perfected the light bulb a long time ago, leave it at that.

The gym because so many gyms are filled with machines and machines do not built muscle, and in order to do muscle building compound movements you have to be trained on how to do these and the instructors don't do this. They only give you crappy programs that don't help you in achieving your goals

It is in the gyms interest for you to fail. A gym has a theoretical limit to how many members it can hold, which means it has a limit to how much money it can make. However, if the gym is signing people up but those people are not attending, there is no limit to how many people the gym can sign up and so no limit to how much money it can make.

How many people attend a gym for 3 months and then give up because they don't see any results? And then they have to keep on paying the membership fee. This is what the gym wants. This is why they don't show people how to diet properly or how to use the equipment properly to get results.

The gym is a scam.

If they don't see results in the gym it's their fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I've been scammed into reading OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

No. Ireland. Rain.

It's only rain. Man up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

Graham wrote: »
    Spreadable butter - straight from the fridge. It's a lie.

Resealable pack - who are you kidding? It's specifically designed not to seal just to make sure the ham dries out and curls up at the edges and has to be thrown out!

More like 'extra hard to open lol don't even dream about trying to reseal this shít pack'

I miss the days when you could just buy 40 or 60 watt light bulbs, screw in or slot in. All this nonsense about CFLs and LED bulbs just annoys the shíte out of me. I have to take the old bulb to the hardware shop just to be sure I'm getting something that fits. And for what? My ESB bills are exactly the same, if not higher than they've always been.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

emeldc wrote: »
    Nope, spoke to a customer the other day who was 'skimmed' at an airport. The scam artists are walking around with mobile wireless terminals and anyone with a contactless card gets hit for €15. Think about it. It's simple.

Nah, it doesn't work like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Graham wrote: »
    This, waste of fecking time, you either use it all straight away or need another container. Resealable? To quote a great man "You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Nope, spoke to a customer the other day who was 'skimmed' at an airport. The scam artists are walking around with mobile wireless terminals and anyone with a contactless card gets hit for €15. Think about it. It's simple.

Not anyone some people have those special wallets. I bet those wallet companies were set up by the banks so they send everyone a contactless card and then everyone has to go and buy a special wallet to keep it safe! Dam you banks dam you to heck.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Nah, it doesn't work like that.

Been hearing stories about it for years there must be some truth to it there was even one from Forbes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,335 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Biggest scam ever is IMRO charging shops and businesses that play music over speakers

I used to work in a shop and play cds to keep myself entertained. I don't think Tom Waits, Sigur Ros, Alphastates, Lamb or any of the other non mainstream bands I was listening to ever saw a cent of the fee IMRO extorted out of the shop.

They never asked us what music I was playing. I bet yer man from boyzone got most of the money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Saipanne wrote: »
    It's only rain. Man up.

Offensive. Gender stereotyping. Demand ban.

Akrasia wrote: »
    Biggest scam ever is IMRO

I used to work in a shop and play cds to keep myself entertained. I don't think Tom Waits, Sigur Ros, Alphastates, Lamb or any of the other non mainstream bands I was listening to ever saw a cent of the fee IMRO extorted out of the shop.

They never asked us what music I was playing. I bet yer man from boyzone got most of the money.

I don't mind IMRO as much but PPI does my head in they've lost when been taken to court by people and still insist that by law everyone has to pay when you ask questions of them they just ignore you and send more letters. I wouldn't mind paying the licensing if it went to the artists we play but given that we play no Irish artists I am guessing they don't see any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭AlphaRed

Yuri Bezmenov: Psychological Warfare Subversion & Control of Western Society (Complete) for one!

Yeah? Where's the scam?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Prepare for another mass scam, 1c and 2c are to be withdrawn, watch everything get 10% more expensive due to profiteering i.e. rounding off. Just like the Euro rollout.... :-(

They've had that in Finland for years. But then again, that's Finland for ya.

Dog licences.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

jimmii wrote: »
    Been hearing stories about it for years there must be some truth to it there was even one from Forbes.

The interesting thing there is that there has been 0 reported cases of fraud from this.
    What they say is true, but how it's used is the more difficult thing. Encoding the data onto a mag card is all they can do, and they dont get the full track data. So a fairly useless bit of plastic. They can't create an Chip/EMV card from it either.
    Now if the fraudsters set themselves up as a financial institution and had mobile Contactless terminals and allowed to take transactions from all IMDs, then they would be onto a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,226 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

osarusan wrote: »
    Dog licences.

Have had dogs pretty much all of my life and not one was licensed. Wouldn't even know where to get one or how much they cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

bladespin wrote: »
    Huge parts of the civil 'service'.

Yawn...

• Advertisement

AlphaRed wrote: »
    Yeah? Where's the scam?

Deception was his job. Soviet Subversion of the Free-World Press. The scam. Deception was his very job.

Collie D wrote: »
    Have had dogs pretty much all of my life and not one was licensed. Wouldn't even know where to get one or how much they cost.
    I cannot understand what even the concept of a dog licence is - licence for what? Where does licence money go?

It seems a particularly blatant 'lets tax that' scam.

Collie D wrote: »

:-/

A post office you buy it over the counter. An individual license for one dog for one year is twenty Euro. For one lifetime (meaning you never have to get one again for that dog, it's the dog's lifetime not yours you still need to for other dogs) is 140 Euro.

PLEASE get one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Paying 50 euro at the doctors and getting the wrong advice. You should only have to pay if they diagnose and heal your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭AlphaRed

Deception was his job. Soviet Subversion of the Free-World Press. The scam. Deception was his very job.

Yes but what he says in the video is in our interests

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

International Driving License, a 5 year old could make it.

Also it's not even required in most countries anymore.

Ticket Master booking/handling fee, they charge that sh1t anyway why not just have it already in the ticket price.

PLEASE get one!

What for?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No. Ireland. Rain.
    It really doesn't rain that much in Ireland, especially on the East coast.
    More than likely skimmed at an ATM than by any kind of card reader. ATM skimming usually involves small test transactions to ensure the card hasn't been blocked and test banks automated fraud systems before they attempt to make big purchases.

Contactless is simple from the end-users' point of view, but it's not as open a system as it appears. Someone who actually has your card could make plenty of small purchases with it at legitimate retailers, but it's very hard to set up a "fake" retailer and attempt to charge cards. The system is based on the fact that there's a hierarchical trust relationship - the terminals are trusted by the payment processor, who in turn is trusted by the bank. One could quite easily create fraudulent terminals, but getting a payment processor to take payments from them would be fair more difficult. Like printing cheques with a fake bank name on them and seeing if BOI will cash them for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

osarusan wrote: »
    I cannot understand what even the concept of a dog licence is - licence for what? Where does licence money go?

It seems a particularly blatant 'lets tax that' scam.

And is the licence for the owner or the dog ie if I've two do I have to pay twice? What if one has pups?

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    The interesting thing there is that there has been 0 reported cases of fraud from this.
    What they say is true, but how it's used is the more difficult thing. Encoding the data onto a mag card is all they can do, and they dont get the full track data. So a fairly useless bit of plastic. They can't create an Chip/EMV card from it either.
    Now if the fraudsters set themselves up as a financial institution and had mobile Contactless terminals and allowed to take transactions from all IMDs, then they would be onto a winner.

Thats good to know! Its crazy how many stories there are when you search for it but as you say not a single example of someone its actually happened to!

Advertisement