Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi rank rules

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

http://www.aclassschoolofmotoring.com/news/where-and-when-to-use-the-right-lights
    http://www.drivingtesttips.biz/what-are-dipped-headlights-when-to-use-them.html
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlamp
    he had his dipped headlights on. claiming that headlights is only the correct term to use when you're talking about full beams would be an unusual position to take, i'd have thought.

Yes I thought it was unusual also,hence my question to you.
    anyway, i clearly don't have your powers to be able to tell the age and condition of a car when it's driving towards me in the dark, especially since you'd have to stare at a point between the headlights (or whatever you choose to call them) to be able to see the reg. certainly not when you're standing at the side of a road with cars passing at 50km/h.

Well thanks for the compliment, but unfortunately I dont have any "powers".

I'm 5"10" in height so I am a little taller than you it seems,so when a car approaches me I tend to look at the windscreen and then when the car is right up beside me I can clearly see the reg.
    I also look to ensure the taxi approaching has a "D" (is licenced to work Dublin) and check the dash to see if he is displaying his ID car .

But given your height restrictions and the unfortunate situation where you can only stare at the headlights I can understand your predicament.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what's the deal with roof signs and the door stickers taxis now display?
    at the time, it seemed to be suggested that the door signs would replace the roof displays - was this a move to try to make drivers commit to driving a taxi, i.e. reduce the numbers who would keep a plate just for busy periods to earn an extra couple of bob?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

at the time, it seemed to be suggested that the door signs would replace the roof displays - was this a move to try to make drivers commit to driving a taxi, i.e. reduce the numbers who would keep a plate just for busy periods to earn an extra couple of bob?

it never suggested that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

They were introduced on foot of the taxi regulation review report 2012 to supplement the roof signs, not replace them.

Also the idea was they would reduce the amount of illegal taxis and make off duty taxis more identifiable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

cheers, that was my understanding/what i'd guessed. someone had mentioned to me they were replacing roof signs, but that made no sense.

• Advertisement

tonight's taxi ride into town: 'sure it turns out i have an outstanding warrant for my arrest', followed by his tales of woe following his split from his wife and refusal to pay maintenance. weirdly, what made it even worse was his apparent misunderstanding of the function of the clutch and when to change gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

tonight's taxi ride into town: 'sure it turns out i have an outstanding warrant for my arrest', followed by his tales of woe following his split from his wife and refusal to pay maintenance. weirdly, what made it even worse was his apparent misunderstanding of the function of the clutch and when to change gear.

Presume you reported him to the Gardai

i would have done so had i not actually made a bollox of taking his details surreptitiously into my phone. i can remember his first name and that it was a corolla. i suspect that wouldn't be much to go on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Amazing the number of IDs that look nothing like the owner.
    I generally use halo. It's much easier... generally

Advertisement