Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Shamrock 64

I have the same box with a Panasonic TV with the same problem,I've seen reports for Sony TV's as well.Its that they are using a code for the box which is the same as the TV,so when you use the various functions you describe they are operating theTV.Mine is exactly the same.Ive spent hours trying to fix it,I'm also running it through a home cinema amp,the best solution I've found is just to plug out the box from the back and plug it back in when needed.I know this is not the best solution but it's the only thing that works with no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Shamrock 64

I have the same box and same problems, I'm using a Panasonic Oled TV and I've heard reports of Sony TV'S as well.Its that the box is using codes that interfere with the TV's.Ive tried for hours to find a solution but nothing worked,I'm also running it through a home cinema amp too.Its not perfect but the best solution was to pull out the power cord at the back of the box when not in use and put it back in when needed.Its not perfect but it solves the problem.Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

If your gonna use Netflix a lot then a supported box is a much better option. The official app is much nicer/easier to use and you also get HD. If you do opt for an unsupported box(like I did) the Netflix APK works away fine but I use the official one that was on my smart TV instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,951 ✭✭✭G1032

Thanks folks. Ended up buying the Mecool KM 2. Over budget at 70 euro but it basically gives me everything I want in one box. Thanks for the recommendation.

Is there an easy way to get a Chromecast to play AC3 audio?

Edit. It seems Bubble UPnP will do this for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭jj880

VLC app should cast it from network folder to chromecast.

Excellent. I will check that out also. BubbleUPnP working also

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Still got the original shield, best bit of AV equipment I have ever bought. Never crashed, worth every penny although the Google TV dongle I have on the bedroom TV is pretty good too.

The KM2 Plus was a fantastic recommendation and thanks to all who replied here. Ordered direct from Mecool on evening of 28th and it arrived today. Impressive delivery time from Hong Kong (I think). Home screen interface very similar to FireStick. Chromecast is a huge upgrade on the Chromecast I had (must be 5 or 6 years old I'd say). Vey happy with it. Thanks again

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

thats very quick - it had good specs and av1 - it is the android box version of the firestick 4k max , might get one if someone wants a box instead of a firestick

• Advertisement

Yes. This works. However - playing a file here at the minute. When I cast from VLC network folder to Chromecast it's fine. When I cast from Bubble UPnP app it's fine. But when I play the file from the VLC network folder on the KM2 Plus the aspect ratio is wrong. The video is stretched. Changing aspect ratio on the VLC app on the KM2 has no affect. Any idea why this could be and how to fix?

Ive VLC app on x96 max+ android box streaming from network folder. Aspect setting in the VLC is set to Best fit using the icon I have the pointer hovering on in the pic below. No problems for me with these setting. TV set to 16:9 aspect with Just Scan disabled for x96 hdmi input.

Edit: using this aspect button does change the aspect for me so not sure why it doesn't on KM2 plus.

What's this setting for? Just Scan disabled for x96 hdmi input.

Edit

Hmmmm

I will have to check if this is a setting on the KM2 but I don't remember seeing it

Its a setting in the TVs menu. Usually beside the aspect options. I said for the x96 input because my TV saves different TV aspect settings depending on the hdmi input device. Just threw it in there in case that's whats causing your problem.

Thanks. No such seeing I can set on my device but I tired Kodi and the files play perfectly from the local network through Kodi. Not sure what the issue with VLC is but it doesn't matter now.

My son spilled juice on my air mouse. Its fecked. Green signal light stuck on and not working right. Been over a week now of trying to dry it out so pretty sure its scrap now.

I did get my LG remote to be able to control my x96 max+ using HDMI-CEC. Which is really handy. The cherry on the cake would be if I could get the pointer from the LG remote to work with my box the same way as my old air mouse did. At present it doesn't do anything within the android OS (Android 9). Anyone manage to get this working?

Here is my LG remote:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Is there anyway to boost the hotspot signal from a phone

I'm using a h96 pro+ connected to my Samsung a21s

Signal breaks up after 4 feet line of sight away. I switched to 5ghz and that improved the speeds .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭ongarite

One for users here using cheap Chinese Android streaming boxes.

Unremovable backdoor malware found on these devices that is using your home network for malicious purposes.

Boxes include the T95 series, X88, Q9 and X12 PLUS devices. All run a hacked version of Android TV which is not secure.

Using an X96 Max Plus myself at the moment. It wasnt all that cheap.

Upgrading to a Mecool soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭WealthyB

Had a cheap Chinese piece of crap back in the day, first thing I did was flash it with a custom rom from the folks at xda developers..

Or of course you could just get a Shield. My mum is now running my old 2015 model, 7 years later it's still motoring along perfectly fine for Netflix, Kodi, TiviMate and still getting OS updates to boot!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

I'm still using a h96pro+

Working fine but think it's android 7

Damn maybe I'll get another year or 2 out of my x96 at that rate. Im on android 10.

Mecool have promised a new box this month. KM2 Plus Deluxe model. I need a new 4k Chromecast anyway and its built in to this box so thats whats making me go for it mainly. Unless there are other boxes that have this and not some dodgy app that charges a subscription.

Just got a PM from MECOOL that their latest box has been postponed again. Whoever runs their customer service needs to have a look at themselves. I politely asked when it would be released and the reply I got was "NO".

Anyway Im looking for a box that with built in Chromecast and can do the business on a 55 inch TV for streaming 4k TV and 4k films/boxsets. My X96 Max Plus is good but not quite powerful enough. I looked on geekbuying but they dont seem to have anything recent. Budget up to 100 euro. Any recommendations would be much appreciated?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,840 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

english is probably not their first language, so responses can be a little odd at times, its not an ideal situation when trying to respond to english emails, but.....

They've now followed up (8 hours later but still someone must have reviewed their Facebook PMs) saying its delayed until December and thanked me for asking about their latest box so I take it back. It was supposed to release in September though so not sure it will even be this year. So still looking for a good box for the winter now if anyone has seen any...

Recently used this on an android TV for my father that was running like a dog. Made a big difference to the speed of the OS. Then I thought why not use on my android box. Once again big speed improvement. Much snappier through the OS and apps. Pleased with the results. Only takes a few minutes. I did the 4 steps from 0:58 to 02:45. Highly recommend doing this.

Edit: something else Ive just noticed. My airmouse was sluggish so was using LG magic remote mostly. Airmouse is perfect now. Instant feedback on everything. Excellent.

MECOOL have just opened pre orders for their highest spec box KM2 Plus Deluxe.

My X96 Max+ is nearly there but not quite. Some ghosting and dropped frames for 4k streaming. I dont know enough about the different CPU/GPU combos.

Anyone know is the MECOOL box CPU/GPU a big enough step up to stream 4K IPTV to a large OLED panel (LG CS6) smoothly?

looks a bit outdated before it releases tbh

• Advertisement

Advertisement