Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Zardoz wrote: »
    Would that be a big upgrade over a Tanix T3 Mini ?

Definitely. Better hardware and software.

The processor itself will make the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Definitely. Better hardware and software.

The processor itself will make the difference.

Just to note, the Tanix and X96 firmwares are nearly always interchangeable if you find the correct one.
    E.G. the X96 fw is interchangeable with the TX3 mini (Tanix FW is much better in that case)

I think the X96 max plus is interchangeable with TX3 (the Tanix FW in this isn't great), and also the TX5 Plus 'deluxe edition' too. Much better box. The TX5 FW is good, and the wifi is excellent in that box, but harder to find.
    X96 seem to have evolved into a brand name.
    Like almost everything Chinese, the naming conventions are confusing. There are a few different TX5's but I am not sure how many. Same applies to X96 boxes (and TX3's).
    If you look around you will the different brands that those boxes are made under (and are sold differently on other sites as the same box)
    For example Lihetun, Vontar, Kepnix and iLepo all sell both Tanix and X96 boxes.

Handy to know if looking for a better firmware. Make sure it's the correct board too...
    Sorry if I made it more confusing... :o
    Also some Geekbuying coupons from here:
    $2 off Over $20 Code: BFGKB2001
    $5 off Over $50 Code: BFGKB2002
    $10 off Over $100 Code: BFGKB2003
    $15 off Over $200 Code: BFGKB2004

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

Hi All,

Appreciate any help here. I am looking for an android box for IPTV. Something reliable. I can't use the fire stick as this user doesn't want devices listening to them aka Alexa !
    Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

6541 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Appreciate any help here. I am looking for an android box for IPTV. Something reliable. I can't use the fire stick as this user doesn't want devices listening to them aka Alexa !
    Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
    The A95X F3 is a good box with MIMO wifi (if wifi is important), but none in stock at the minute in Europe.
    The X96 Max Plus mentioned above is also good, with plenty of firmwares to fix issues if you experience any.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

6541 wrote:
    Appreciate any help here. I am looking for an android box for IPTV. Something reliable. I can't use the fire stick as this user doesn't want devices listening to them aka Alexa ! Any help appreciated.

You might wanna tell them to get rid of all phone's, as they also listen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Hi All,

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

The mi tv stick (720p) or mi box (4k)would be good options, both run official Android tv os so you'll have a smooth experience.

Google only listens if you press the microphone button on the remote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Hi All,

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Does a fire stick listen all the time? I'm pretty sure it only listens when you press the mic button on the remote

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

Thanks folks - I have an anti vaccine, anti mask, devices are listening to us, massive USA vote fraud member in my family.
    Mi Stick or Mi Box it is.

Thanks folks - I have an anti vaccine, anti mask, devices are listening to us, massive USA vote fraud member in my family.
    Mi Stick or Mi Box it is.

Fine chinese craftsmanship!

Joking aside they are great value for money. You can buy a stick for under €30. It'll run all your apps and iptv just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭BandMember

Any Cyber Monday deals worth talking about?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Henryq.

Hi
    I'm trying to get my android box to switch off.the display when not in use

Box is a H96 pro+, using keyboard and mouse with it

If i select sleep it switches off the box so no good
    If I add a screensaver, the screensaver keeps the the monitor display on

Any ideas thanks

^^
    It must be just asleep ?

Power button on remote brings display straight back on, is there any way to wake it with the keyboard or mouse?

Henryq. wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm trying to get my android box to switch off.the display when not in use

Box is a H96 pro+, using keyboard and mouse with it

If i select sleep it switches off the box so no good
    If I add a screensaver, the screensaver keeps the the monitor display on

Any ideas thanks
    I think their is an app called sleep screen, there are probably loads of them but I wouldn't guess on which is the best.
    There is also a timer one I remember using for testing wifi, but may be an option in many of them.

Suckit wrote: »
    I think their is an app called sleep screen, there are probably loads of them but I wouldn't guess on which is the best.
    There is also a timer one I remember using for testing wifi, but may be an option in many of them.

They seem to do the same thing as sleep

It turns off the display but keyboard /mouse won't wake the box unfortunately

You could try Tasker or IFTTT. I've not tried it for something like that.
    I'm guessing it might be possible with a different firmware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭thebourke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Henryq. wrote: »
    ^^
    It must be just asleep ?

Power button on remote brings display straight back on, is there any way to wake it with the keyboard or mouse?

Yea I had the one before it xiaomi my box 3 and they are top notch and well worth the money

I've literally had loads of android boxes from mkpro to hk96 to different variants of cheap 20 quid Chinese ones etc

I now have an android Sony bravia android tv and it's a beast for iptv, only Xiaomi have come close

For me it goes

Nvidia shield
    Android tv
    Xiaomi

Nothing else compares, rest can be rubbish

The extra 40/50 quid you'd spend on Xiaomi compared to 20/30 quid variants will save you a big headache

I was thrilled with mine in the end and its the only brand I would suggest for an android box going forward after the shield which 99.9% of people don't wanna buy and are trying to keep it cheap

thebourke wrote: »

Yes, have 2 of them, the older Mibox and the S. Great on a 1080p TV, but poor enough with 4k. If your TV is 4k you would be better with a new Chromecast

Just got an update for my Mibox 3, Android security patch level 5 October 2020. Certainly didn't expect any more updates for this box
    https://www.mi.com/global/mibox/

• Advertisement

Just got an update for my Mibox 3, Android security patch level 5 October 2020. Certainly didn't expect any more updates for this box

Seen that yesterday, it was 726mb which is fairly big considering it said it only was bringing some extra remote control functionality. Haven't bothered googling to see what else it brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

Suckit wrote: »

Stopped shipping to Ireland from Czech warehouse similar to UK.
    All boxes I've tried will only ship from HK/China - EU warehouse options appear to be no longer available.

Losing the ability to readily piggyback on UK supply chains that are becoming Brexit defunct is going to hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Zardoz

styron wrote: »
    All boxes I've tried will only ship from HK/China - EU warehouse options appear to be no longer available.

Losing the ability to readily piggyback on UK supply chains that are becoming Brexit defunct is going to hurt.

Balls.
    I was waiting for the European warehouses to get stock and not they pull this stunt.

I was on to their chat, they originally told me that is nothing to do with Brexit and that

"Because of the sudden closure of the British city, which affected Ireland and England the routes of many express companies, our logistics colleagues still working on it, needs to wait the lockdown finished from govenment then they can ship to it out again."

I asked about Brexit again ("So, it's not related to Brexit - Britain leaving the EU?"), to confirm and was told that they hope soon to be able to ship to England and Ireland again soon.
    So it may be to do with Brexit.

They then said to "wait a min" and I got this message:
    "According to the latest news from our tracking department, we stopped to ship to England and Ireland, still waiting for the next notification."

"We will forward your concerns to our tracking department and the possibilities of Spain Warehouse direct shipping."

I hadn't asked any further details, so they must have been looking at something themselves there. At a guess, they are waiting for the agreement to be signed in to law or whatever the next stage is, and then will start shipping here again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

styron wrote: »

I bought a box a while back and while it took several weeks to get here, the seller sent it via Holland.
    Possibly he still does this.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Shamrock 64

Ordered an x96 max + box on 26/10,rang An Post 2 weeks ago, said they could see it via their tracking information but didn't know where it was.Chinese tracking shows it's been in Ireland since 24/11, 5 weeks now,are parcels held over so the Amazon and eBay stuff get through first ,was told I'd get it sometime in new year, didn't know when as they were waiting for it first,so they could then deliver it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Have a roku streaming stick, love the remote and youtube (bar the fact I can't read comments).

Is there any good reviews online comparing different android boxes instead of trawling through this thread?

Want an android box so I can install apps and have a web browser. Bought a cheap mibox before but it was always glitchy, looking for something as smooth as the roku without being as tied into what they have available vs what I want.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

timple23 wrote: »
    Have a roku streaming stick, love the remote and youtube (bar the fact I can't read comments).

Is there any good reviews online comparing different android boxes instead of trawling through this thread?

Want an android box so I can install apps and have a web browser. Bought a cheap mibox before but it was always glitchy, looking for something as smooth as the roku without being as tied into what they have available vs what I want.

http://chigztech.com/charts.html - nothing on 2021 charts yet

timple23 wrote: »

I have 2x Miboxes, the old one and the newer S. The old one is fine on 1080p and gets even better if you add an Ethernet adapter. It struggles a little with 4k, but would be fine on a 1080p TV in a kitchen or bedroom.

Check out the new Google Chromecast, it runs Android TV and comes with a remote

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

I have 2x Miboxes, the old one and the newer S. The old one is fine on 1080p and gets even better if you add an Ethernet adapter. It struggles a little with 4k, but would be fine on a 1080p TV in a kitchen or bedroom.

Check out the new Google Chromecast, it runs Android TV and comes with a remote

i use a chromecast with an ethernet adapter atm you can sideload firefox for tv on for a browser

Advertisement