Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭BandMember

Thanks for the very helpful post! Can I ask which one is the better box or which one would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

BandMember wrote: »
    Thanks for the very helpful post! Can I ask which one is the better box or which one would you recommend?

The KM3 and KM1 have MIMO WiFi (2T2R) which is better than the KM9 Pro WiFi
    and the KM1 has a better cooling system and maybe a slightly better chip.
    If better wifi (already decent) is a must have, then the KM3 or KM1, other than that they are all pretty similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

any chance of a pm for the obvious, thank you?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    any chance of a pm for the obvious, thank you?
    Just seeing that now. Is that to me?

PM away, :) (no idea what the obvious is :o )

Suckit wrote:
    Just seeing that now. Is that to me?

Sorry, to the whole forum
    Suckit wrote:
    PM away, (no idea what the obvious is )

Pm for a 'gift' for these boxes, thank you

• Advertisement

^^^ Not sure what that means, but if you PM me, I can try to help..

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Xiaomi Mi Box S is on sale for €42.54 delivered from Poland on DHGate using code DHS1103

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I have a shield downstairs in the main room, its the best piece of kit ever but I want to get a setup for the bedroom too. I was looking at the Philips Ambilight with the android tv built in but I'm a bit skeptical of the hardware in these smart TV's, would I better getting a separate box like the Mi Box S and not bothering with the built in?

rob316 wrote: »
    I have a shield downstairs in the main room, its the best piece of kit ever but I want to get a setup for the bedroom too. I was looking at the Philips Ambilight with the android tv built in but I'm a bit skeptical of the hardware in these smart TV's, would I better getting a separate box like the Mi Box S and not bothering with the built in?
    Imho, that is a personal preference for the most part.
    I'm not sure how often Philips TV's get updates, maybe somebody else can answer here.
    The Mi Box S comes with Android TV on it, but whenever it eventually stops getting updates, you can discard it and get another box with same TV.
    Again, it is more of personal choice more than anything and/or price.

Suckit wrote: »
    Imho, that is a personal preference for the most part.
    I'm not sure how often Philips TV's get updates, maybe somebody else can answer here.
    The Mi Box S comes with Android TV on it, but whenever it eventually stops getting updates, you can discard it and get another box with same TV.
    Again, it is more of personal choice more than anything and/or price.

Thanks

My bro is back from canada in a week so he's grabbing me the new Chromecast with Google TV and I'll buy the ambilight without android.

rob316 wrote:
    My bro is back from canada in a week so he's grabbing me the new Chromecast with Google TV and I'll buy the ambilight without android.

Are these far better than a firestick?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Yes, it's Android TV which comes with Google assistant and Google cast. It has the Google play store which has a better selection than Amazon. The Google play store is very awkward install in a fire stick. It's also newer faster hardware than a fire stick 4k

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Yes, think of it as the fire stick is just a chromecast with an amazon prime skin. The chromecast is a much nicer interface and still offer amazon prime etc.

DopeTech wrote: »
    Yes, think of it as the fire stick is just a chromecast with an amazon prime skin. The chromecast is a much nicer interface and still offer amazon prime etc.

so i assume 'alternative' services such as iptv would work no problem on this stick?

so i assume 'alternative' services such as iptv would work no problem on this stick?

Yes, Android TV has been around for years on the Nvidia Shield, Xaoimi Mibox and others

Google TV is replacing Android TV so this is the most up to date piece of hardware out there. It also supports HDR10, Dolby Vision, for €70 its a great price for $70 canadian its an absolute steal. The only comparable device on the market would be the Shield and thats 200 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Mibox S is another cheaper alternative, not as good as the shield but for the price is fairly decent, wifi only though but the wifi seems to be decent on it. Tivimate works well on it also.

Google TV is replacing Android TV so this is the most up to date piece of hardware out there. It also supports HDR10, Dolby Vision, for €70 its a great price for $70 canadian its an absolute steal. The only comparable device on the market would be the Shield and thats 200 quid.
    Yes and no.
    Google TV is not replacing Android TV. Google TV is just a different GUI on top of Android TV (best way to explain it) - still using Android TV, but with it's own interface.
    The new chromecast is half the price over the other side of the Atlantic, so may be cheaper for now to order it using a virtual address (e.g. addresspal) or look at the offers in Europe that have come up a few times already. It has been available for €50 (but mainly between €55 - €60).
    For that reason (and mainly only that reason) I wouldn't buy it for the €70 they are charging here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Zardoz

eamonnq wrote: »
    Mibox S is another cheaper alternative, not as good as the shield but for the price is fairly decent, wifi only though but the wifi seems to be decent on it. Tivimate works well on it also.

Having no ethernet port like the Firestick is a major flaw.

The new chromecast has no ethernet port and no usb port so a USB drive cant be connected , which is a major flaw too.

Is there anything like the Mi Box with an ethernet port ?

Suckit wrote: »
    Yes and no.
    Google TV is not replacing Android TV. Google TV is just a different GUI on top of Android TV (best way to explain it) - still using Android TV, but with it's own interface.
    The new chromecast is half the price over the other side of the Atlantic, so may be cheaper for now to order it using a virtual address (e.g. addresspal) or look at the offers in Europe that have come up a few times already. It has been available for €50 (but mainly between €55 - €60).
    For that reason (and mainly only that reason) I wouldn't buy it for the €70 they are charging here.

Every review I read said google is phasing out the android TV name for Google TV over the next couple of years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Zardoz wrote: »

The new chromecast has no ethernet port and no usb port so a USB drive cant be connected , which is a major flaw too.

the new Chromecast has an ethernet adapter available - so other options can be added aswell

https://store.google.com/gb/product/chromecast_ethernet_adapter_gen_2

• Advertisement

Every review I read said google is phasing out the android TV name for Google TV over the next couple of years.
    I haven't read any reviews on it, so I can't vouch for that. But it's not incorrect exactly.
    Google TV will be the version everybody will see on their devices in the coming years, but it is not instead of Android TV.
    Google TV runs on Android TV 10.
    It sits on top of it, and the Google TV interface will be replacing the current interface.

I've added an Ethernet adapter to my Mibox, it was 15 quid on Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Nowso wrote: »
    the new Chromecast has an ethernet adapter available - so other options can be added aswell

https://store.google.com/gb/product/chromecast_ethernet_adapter_gen_2

£20 though, very saucy.

I've added an Ethernet adapter to my Mibox, it was 15 quid on Amazon

This is a decent one too

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32401431234.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

£20 though, very saucy.

30 for simular ones in shops

ethernet adapters have issues on the latest mi box firmware

• Registered Users Posts: 2 daithicrowley

Which is better for streaming. Amazon fire stick 4k or the new t95 android 10.0 box 4bg 32gb

Which is better for streaming. Amazon fire stick 4k or the new t95 android 10.0 box 4bg 32gb

You won't get the latest version of Netflix or Amazon prime on this T95 box which tells you all you need to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Did anyone get one?
    Link is now dead,possibly a mistake?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Petyr Baelish

Hi, can anyone recommend a box for under 50 euro that I could find from an Irish supplier? I just need it to play Netflix and Youtube so it doesn't need to be high spec.

EDIT: I found this one, any opinions?

https://www.loveshopping.ie/product/android-tv-box-q-plus-android-9-0-tv-box-2gb-ram-16gb-rom-h6-quad-core-support-2-4ghz-wifi-6k-hdmi-dlna-3d-smart-tv-box

Advertisement