Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Hi, can anyone recommend a box for under 50 euro that I could find from an Irish supplier? I just need it to play Netflix and Youtube so it doesn't need to be high spec.

EDIT: I found this one, any opinions?

https://www.loveshopping.ie/product/android-tv-box-q-plus-android-9-0-tv-box-2gb-ram-16gb-rom-h6-quad-core-support-2-4ghz-wifi-6k-hdmi-dlna-3d-smart-tv-box

Opinions yes, it's a pile of dung. Get yourself a 2020 Chromecast from Argos for 58. Read the last page or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Petyr Baelish

Opinions yes, it's a pile of dung. Get yourself a 2020 Chromecast from Argos for 58. Read the last page or 2

If I got a Chromecast I would need a device to cast from so that defeats the purpose. I'm looking for a box, if you have any suggestions I would be grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If I got a Chromecast I would need a device to cast from so that defeats the purpose. I'm looking for a box, if you have any suggestions I would be grateful.

The new chromecast is a box/dongle. It has Google/Android TV that you can sideload apps to and download from the playstore.

The NEW 2020 Chromecast is Android TV, has apps and the Google play store and comes with a remote. It's exactly what you need.

https://uk.pcmag.com/review/128924/chromecast-with-google-tv

The NEW 2020 Chromecast is Android TV, has apps and the Google play store and comes with a remote. It's exactly what you need.

https://uk.pcmag.com/review/128924/chromecast-with-google-tv

The Chromecast is gone from Argos, they only have the old one now. I'm not going to pay 70 euro anyway, it's more than required.

It's only needed to connect to a small tv for the kids bedroom but there are so many options between 35 to 50 euro (and that is my budget) that I don't know what to look out for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Which is better for streaming. Amazon fire stick 4k or the new t95 android 10.0 box 4bg 32gb

I have the latest Android 10 T95 and the Amazon Prime app ( from Android TV store ) refuses to play anything on it. Tried absolutely everything. It's fine if you want to use only specific apps like TiviMate....

The Chromecast is gone from Argos, they only have the old one now. I'm not going to pay 70 euro anyway, it's more than required.

It's only needed to connect to a small tv for the kids bedroom but there are so many options between 35 to 50 euro (and that is my budget) that I don't know what to look out for.

Then get a fire stick 4k on the black Friday Amazon sale. Avoid buying cheapo nasty Chinese boxes, they run a hacked version of touchscreen Android and get no support.

You won't get the latest version of Netflix or Amazon prime on this T95 box which tells you all you need to know!

That's incorrect. You do get the latest version of Amazon Prime ( for Android TV ) on the T95 as it actually only has the Android TV ( as opposed to standard Android ) apps available on the Play Store. The latest version of Amazon Prime is 5.4.0-armv7a dated Nov 16th which is what my T95 installed from the official Play Store. Having said that!!! It doesn't work lol

Then get a fire stick 4k on the black Friday Amazon sale. Avoid buying cheapo nasty Chinese boxes, they run a hacked version of touchscreen Android and get no support.

It's actually a hacked version of Android TV now.

carbsy wrote: »
    That's incorrect. You do get the latest version of Amazon Prime ( for Android TV ) on the T95 as it actually only has the Android TV ( as opposed to standard Android ) apps available on the Play Store. The latest version of Amazon Prime is 5.4.0-armv7a dated Nov 16th which is what my T95 installed from the official Play Store. Having said that!!! It doesn't work lol

That says all you need to know, it's working on my Shield, Mibox and Mibox S

• Advertisement

I don't want an Fire Stick.

I don't want a Chromecast.

I want a cheap android box for a small TV in the kids bedroom.

Here are some I found:

T95 Android 10.0 TV Box 4G/64G
    Transpeed Android 10.0 TV Box 4G/64G
    Pendoo Android 10.0 TV Box

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Here are some I found:

Get this for about $50 delivered from Germany, no custom duty.

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/X96-MAX-Plus-Amlogic-S905x3-Android-9-0-8K-Video-Decode-TV-Box-4GB-64G-422932.html

Got this for a friend, working very well.

Here are some I found:

I can vouch for the T95 ( Sunvell ) 4GB 32GB. It works perfectly for my needs.The only problem I have found so far is that I can't get Amazon Prime to work. Having said that... I only received it last week so I'm still fliddling about with it... good value imho as the specs are much higher than the Firestick etc

Thanks lads, that gives me something go on. What are Gearbest and Ali like for delivery times? It's for a birthday present so I'd need it within a week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Thanks lads, that gives me something go on. What are Gearbest and Ali like for delivery times? It's for a birthday present so I'd need it within a week or so.

Gearbest / Geekbuying / Ali etc - If you are buying from their EU warehouses (like Germany / Spain) you should get them in a week.

From China anywhere between 6-8 weeks.

Here are some I found:

Mi box s?

Xiaomi Mi Box S is on sale for €42.54 delivered from Poland on DHGate using code DHS1103

https://www.dhgate.com/product/original-xiaomi-mi-tv-box-s-smart-4k-ultra/479497883.html

Ali atm would be 6 weeks ish. I had stuff arrive in Ireland on 2/10 and only got it a few days ago so beware. Got the T95 from Banggood circa 10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

ebay has loads. Filter it to find Irish suppliers if you want fast delivery times.

basill wrote: »
    ebay has loads. Filter it to find Irish suppliers if you want fast delivery times.

Or just buy from Amazon. They have the same stuff although a tad more expensive...

rob316 wrote: »
    Mi box s?

Xiaomi Mi Box S is on sale for €42.54 delivered from Poland on DHGate using code DHS1103

https://www.dhgate.com/product/original-xiaomi-mi-tv-box-s-smart-4k-ultra/479497883.html

Great price, I have one in a bedroom, the only streaming box I let use WiFi but it works well and gets regular updates (for now). I have an older Mibox in the kitchen with Ethernet adapter don't think there's any more updates for it.

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    Mi box s?

I'll take a look but I have MiCool and the WiFi isn't great. Don't like how it's locked down but your one may be different.

I'll take a look but I have MiCool and the WiFi isn't great. Don't like how it's locked down but your one may be different.

The Mibox S is an official Android TV box. It works well on a 1080 TV, but struggles with 4K if this makes a difference to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

The box you linked to was €40,there is every chance the Firestick will be a similar price,I bought one for €39 a few months ago and its likely to be similar in BF deals.

If you are willing to spend €50 would you not wait and see will the new Chromecast come back again for €58( i know its over budget but not by much and its brand new) or less.

Just ordered a Firestick for £30.Thats as cheap as they have ever been AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

yabadabado wrote: »
    Just ordered a Firestick for £30.Thats as cheap as they have ever been AFAIK.

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,824 ✭✭✭✭muffler

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Link?
    The were on sale earlier on Amazon but sold out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

100% plug it into a fused adaptor (€1.50 in Dealz) or buy a fused plug for it.

Should be one anyway, but many don't. In a kids room, I would make sure.

If your still looking Tesco UK, very and John Lewis have them for £30 too but you'll have to add PW or PM too that.

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Link?

Seem to be sold out now but as post above says other options available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Zardoz

coldfire1x wrote: »

Would that be a big upgrade over a Tanix T3 Mini ?

Advertisement