Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Music-All information provided here

Options
  • 12-06-2015 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

I know there is a lot of confusion when it comes to apple music in Ireland.
    However I emailed Apple and I can confirm that we will be getting Apple Music 2 weeks AFTER the June 30 Launch.
    So roughly around the 14 of July.
    Hope I cleared everything up.

Anyone getting this service or switching from a service like Spotify?
    Discuss

Apple music 130 votes

I won't be getting Apple music
    0% 0 votes
    I will be getting Apple Music
    50% 65 votes
    I am going to switch from another streaming service such as spottily
    50% 65 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

I will definitely consider it. I commute every day and use Spotify for at least 4 hours daily. And even more the weekend. The fact they are including music videos, integration with siri and other stuff sounds great. Especially the live curated broadcasts from DJ's around the world, 24/7. Plus it will automatically import your spotify playlists. On a minus I have read somewhere the highest bitrate will be lower at around 256 kbps, lower than Spotify. Then again I don't exactly have audiophile headphones and even 320kbps is pretty pants compared to Tidals offerings.. I will probably run the trial side by side with Spotify and decide then which is better for me. Looking forward to it.

Here is a decent article about it.
    http://www.macworld.com/article/2934744/apple-music-faq-the-ins-and-outs-of-apples-new-streaming-music-service.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Actually Apple Music will be 256kps AAC which is takes up less space and sounds as good if not better than the 320kps MP3 used by Spotify. You won't be able to tell the difference.

However I haven't heard anything about you being able to import Spotify playlists. I'd be doubtful about that tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

I have switched from Spotify to Deezer Elite. Same price as Spotify but lossless. Only available to Sonos customers at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭bert911

6 member family plan for 14:99 works out very good value

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭nokia211

I have spotify which I love but I think I may make the switch. I also heard that Apple music will have 7 or 8 million more songs than spotify.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

nokia211 wrote: »
    I have spotify which I love but I think I may make the switch. I also heard that Apple music will have 7 or 8 million more songs than spotify.

It's about the same as Spotify: over 30 million songs. It was in the Apple press release. It was misreported in some places as being the entire ITunes Store library of 40+ million but it's not.

I know not all the iTunes library is included, such as the Beatles.
    But there will still be about 7 million more songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Who or what email address at Apple did you email to get the launch date info from?

I know not all the iTunes library is included, such as the Beatles.
    But there will still be about 7 million more songs.

What's your source for that? Apple's press release says over 30 million, same as Spotify.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I might be getting old, but I like the idea of owning music, even if it's in digital format. I'll definitely take out the free trial, and I might still subscribe, but I'll probably still continue to buy music from artists I really like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Zcott wrote: »
    I might be getting old, but I like the idea of owning music, even if it's in digital format. I'll definitely take out the free trial, and I might still subscribe, but I'll probably still continue to buy music from artists I really like.

Same here, I still buy about 50 CDs a year. A subscription to a music service allows you to hear the music first (legally) and then decide whether or not to purchase. It also can introduce you to new music and allows you hear music from artists with whom you may be unfamiliar or barely familiar.

What's your source for that? Apple's press release says over 30 million, same as Spotify.

Here is my proof, there are many other websites which say the same thing this is just one

http://www.techradar.com/news/audio/apple-music-vs-spotify-vs-play-music-vs-tidal-vs-deezer-1296240

Here is my proof, there are many other websites which say the same thing this is just one

http://www.techradar.com/news/audio/apple-music-vs-spotify-vs-play-music-vs-tidal-vs-deezer-1296240

All blogs copying each other. None of them give a source for 37 million. The Apple press release says “over 30 million”.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Actually Apple Music will be 256kps AAC which is takes up less space and sounds as good if not better than the 320kps MP3 used by Spotify. You won't be able to tell the difference.

However I haven't heard anything about you being able to import Spotify playlists. I'd be doubtful about that tbh.

It's mentioned on the link I posted above. I guess we will see. Good to know about it being 256kbps AAC.

Flaccus wrote: »
    It's mentioned on the link I posted above. I guess we will see. .

It only says iTunes and Beats playlists will be carried over.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

Flaccus wrote: »
    It's mentioned on the link I posted above. I guess we will see. Good to know about it being 256kbps AAC.
    If you use Beats Music and switch your subscription to Apple Music, your playlists will sync over. But we're not so sure about playlists from other music services like Spotify and Rdio.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭jeromeof

bert911 wrote: »
    6 member family plan for 14:99 works out very good value

Guys, Has this been confirmed as the pricing for Ireland?

jeromeof wrote: »
    Guys, Has this been confirmed as the pricing for Ireland?

No, nothing has been confirmed for Ireland yet.

Mr.S wrote: »
    But safe to assume it will be same as Spotify, tidal etc.

9.99 single use
    14.99 family use

For single use, definitely. For family use, the price will probably be the same but it remains to be see whether it will allow up to 6 people to share it like the US service. That’s a big advantage over the competition and not all the non-US license holders may go for it.

The other difference is that radio most likely won't be free to non-subscribers, at least at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I've never been a big fan of streaming but I'll be trying out the trial for Apple Music. Have Spotify but rarely use it, i'd definitely be more likely to use Apple's offering based on the fact it's so tightly integrated.

That release date I wouldn't put too much faith in, unless somebody high up in Apple told you two weeks after the 30th it's most likely bs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

So this showed up today running 8.4 public beta. If you press any buttons on the second screen it does nothing bar grey the options.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    So this showed up today running 8.4 public beta. If you press any buttons on the second screen it does nothing bar grey the options.

Clicking an album link through Twitter or Facebook opens up the apple music page for that album with options to stream it, but it's not active yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Looks like the euro price will be the same as the U.S. Dollar one, unless that's just a placeholder for Europe.

DubDJ wrote: »
    Looks like the euro price will be the same as the U.S. Dollar one, unless that's just a placeholder for Europe.

Think it's just a placeholder, because I was getting £9.99/£14.99.

Surely it will be €9.99. Spotify in UK is £9.99, U.S $9.99 and €9.99 here.

guil wrote: »
    Surely it will be €9.99. Spotify in UK is £9.99, U.S $9.99 and €9.99 here.

Yeah i'd say so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Spotify premium only costing me €5/month with Vodafone... Don't know if I'd be willing to pay double for apple, already think it's expensive considering Netflix is €7/month. In my thinking series/movies cost more than music. Yes you may listen to music more than once (unlikely with video content) but generally you only pay for it once though. Great, millions of songs for €10 a month, however I think hardly anyone listens to 99.9% of what's on offer.

Currently I pay nothing for my own spotify sub, I got it as part of a deal like the vodafone one but they never cancelled it when i left them. I pay full price for my girlfriends one and my daughter will be looking for something soon enough too so the family price is a no brainer for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

DubDJ wrote: »

this article seems to lean the same way

http://9to5mac.com/2015/06/17/apple-music-pricing-uk-europe/

• Advertisement

Hm, bit on the expensive side for the UK! I was hoping for maybe £7.99...

Advertisement