Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveller families refusing to move to purpose built houses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I want to know when I, as a settled person, can get a free caravan so I can go on my summer holidays. It's in my culture you know, my family have been going on holidays for generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

eviltwin wrote: »
    The accommodation is travellers specific. No one else is entitled to use it.

I would suggest that the Title of Traveller's Visibility Group could well be misleading.

Irish Travellers,as a rule,have little problem with visibility and tend to be highly visible..other than when they do not wish to be seen.

The TVG spokesperson,Ms O Sullivan,would do well to note the imminent arrival of the first tranche of visitors from the Mediterranian region,whose journeys from Sub Saharan Africa would rather better qualify them for the title "Traveller" over and above her Grouping.

All it will take is an astute Lawyer,and a suitably sympathetic Court,to order Cork Co Co to reallocate this expensive flagship development to the alleviation of distress amongst the Afghani,Libyan and Syrian traveller families.

That would soon test the moral-fibre of this crowd :eek:

"Entitled"....yea right ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭LadyFenghuang

Second post...welcome Lady Troll 😏

It's certainly not a nice thing to call a lady. I am ...taken aback. I'll forgive you though. :-)

I simply have witnessed quite wild and vitriolic prejudice against this social group to the extent that I now feel I must go through every story with a fine toothed comb. And for both sides.

It's genuinely not trolling.

Just to be clear, seven of the 16 traveller families are already moving in.

Nine others have concerns. Those concerns include their horses' welfare.

We don't actually know how many travellers are looking for disturbance money: by that, it's not clear what is meant by disturbance money: does it relate to the expenses involved in such a big move, for example?

That article doesn't sit right with me, especially the way it repeatedly refers to the Apple site being adjacent, as though readers should be worried about the ongoing presence of Apple or something?

By the way, afaik this is the site the travellers currently live in, in case anyone thinks they've been living in the lap of luxury
    http://www.newstalk.com/Irelands-Shantytown

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

300,000 wasted providing protection for the contractors carrying out the work.

I am still trying to fathom that bit, I'll come back with a funny comment once I get my head around it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

It's certainly not a nice thing to call a lady. I am ...taken aback. I'll forgive you though. :-)

I simply have witnessed quite wild and vitriolic prejudice against this social group to the extent that I now feel I must go through every story with a fine toothed comb. And for both sides.

It's genuinely not trolling.

Of course it is! Those poor persecuted and misunderstood, social group you called them?

If you don't contribute to society and tax revenue then why should you expect a new house for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Buzz Meeks wrote: »
    Before you make up your mind, open it.

I have taken Buzz Meeks advice on this issue....I would like to suggest that the "Grottos" be demolished and replaced with Multi-Faith Spaces to include provision for Jewish,Moslem and Liverpool FC worshippers....Only then,can Cork's County Councillors claim to be totally Politically and Religiously Correct.

Put Up or Shut Up Boys.....:)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Turtyturd wrote: »
    300,000 wasted providing protection for the contractors carrying out the work.
    Surely that's because of settled people who don't want the site located there.

There have been a number of well-publicised instances of attacks on properties intended for traveller accommodation by members of the settled community.

Perhaps the biggest scandal here is that 300k security bill, which is presumably aa result of hostility to the new traveller site from non-travellers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Nine others have concerns. Those concerns include their horses' welfare.
    This made me laugh. Anyone who races their horses on the main roads, abandons wounded /dying horses or lets horses to starve on commonage can't really claim the moral high ground on animal welfare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

DCC are paying traveller families €10,000 each to let the council renovate Labre Park on the Kylemore Road. They are paying them to let them upgrade the site. €10m in total going into the renovation of 22 homes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

By the way, afaik this is the site the travellers currently live in, in case anyone thinks they've been living in the lap of luxury
    http://www.newstalk.com/Irelands-Shantytown
    I blame the settled community dragging their old caravans there and making that awful mess while the residents slept.

If I don't get the old weed whacker every now and then, my access lane would look like that too. But I suppose that would mean a little work for their own benefit.

This made me laugh. Anyone who races their horses on the main roads, abandons wounded /dying horses or lets horses to starve on commonage can't really claim the moral high ground on animal welfare.
    Do you know the 16 families in question?

Toddle off to the nearest police station and let them know if you have information that any of the 16 families in question have mistreated their horses & ponies in these ways.

Ah but you're generalizing about an entire group of people. I know that.

There is a problem with animal welfare in this country and in the traveler community. It's a strange mind**** for me. I know and have seen people in the community threaten anyone who reports them. I have also seen people who work with animals over zealously persecute this group.

There is a huge problem with abuse in the traveler community. It can't however be used as an excuse for prejudice.

Real action on things like sulkie racing in the traveler community which time and time again has shown up terrible animal abuse needs to be stopped.

But I think you take one story at a time. It could be the community is totally at fault. But I would like to see first.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

How many of youse would like to be told "feck off out of your house, Apple needs the space, we've built you a new space with a gym because you all love boxing. By the way, your pets can't come"

How many of youse would like to be told "feck off out of your house, Apple needs the space, we've built you a new space with a gym because you all love boxing. By the way, your pets can't come"

A new free house? With disturbance money too? Right next to my family? Fantastic. Where do I sign?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

My house and land that I worked hard to pay for, yeah?

A new free house? With disturbance money too? Right next to my family? Fantastic. Where do I sign?
    So why are you not a traveller already?

According to your garden variety traveller-basher, travellers have it great.

Why not join ranks?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

The travellers have been complaining about conditions at the site for years. However they moved in far more families than the site was originally intended for. They buy horses and put them on land they don't own.

So why are you not a traveller already?

According to your garden variety traveller-basher, travellers have it great.

Why not join ranks?

Are you suggesting you can just change ethnic background?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Surely that's because of settled people who don't want the site located there.

There have been a number of well-publicised instances of attacks on properties intended for traveller accommodation by members of the settled community.

Perhaps the biggest scandal here is that 300k security bill, which is presumably aa result of hostility to the new traveller site from non-travellers.

Yep that's it alright.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Do you know the 16 families in question?

Toddle off to the nearest police station and let them know if you have information that any of the 16 families in question have mistreated their horses & ponies in these ways.

Ah but you're generalizing about an entire group of people. I know that.
    You cannot keep a horse on the side of a road, you cannot keep a horse without some form of shelter. Do this16 families provide these things for their horses? Where do they ride them? Pretty sure that the answers are a) not in livery stables and b) not in arenas or on bridleways. I am also pretty sure they are used for sulky road racing, not for say dressage or showjumping.

I have a horse, I didn't buy one until I could to pay for its care, for making sure it gets proper veterinary attention, visits from the farrier and dentist. I don't go out at weekends, I don't go on foreign holidays, I use that money to pay for my horse's keep. He is chipped and has a passport, as per the law, I'd be interested to see if the horses above are.

They don't have the resources or lifestyle to look after horses to the standard that modern stables and equestrianism now have made the norm. That's the truth.

It's not indicative of the way all travelers treat their animals. However looking after horses requires a lot of money space and knowledge. I don't think it would be possible for them to give the same level of care as a modern working livery yard, even one of the worst.

The ISPCA wants a sulkie racing ban. It would go underground though. They do it on roads ...they race horse and harness with CARS! It's nuts!

In other countries sulky racing is done only on specially constructed tracks only with horses. Here they do it on open roads and race the cars with pony and trap. Many horses have had to be euthanized.

I will read this story fully before I make up my mind. But you obviously cannot have horses in a residential area without proper facilities. But i will not jump to conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

I appreciate that. However it is worth considering apart from this story for a moment travelers are a very hard persecuted group.

I think you mean prosecuted. They certainly are not persecuted. Quite the opposite!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭irishgeo

even if the pets were allowded they still want money to move.

must have got the notion of disturbance money from the civil serivce staff who demand the same thing.

Are you suggesting you can just change ethic background?
    You can certainly change your ethnic identity in my opinion. Yes.

Well? Why are you not on a campsite yet? Didn't you want to sign-up?
    Do this16 families provide these things for their horses? Where do they ride them?
    You tell me. You seem to think you know a lot about them, because you think you have the right to make generalizations about people based on their identity.
    I have a horse, I didn't buy one until I could to pay for its care, for making sure it gets proper veterinary attention, visits from the farrier and dentist. I don't go out at weekends, I don't go on foreign holidays, I......
    Listen. I... didn't ask for you autobiography.

. By the way, your pets can't come"
    The "pets" are hardly goldfish. I don't keep my horse in the garden, because, guess what, it's not a place for him. I pay to have him kept in a stables. Nothing to stop these horses doing the same.
    Oh and before someone does the culture thing, I am from an area where Vincent O' Brien and Johnjoe O' Neill grew up, home to the first ever steeplechase, the oldest horse fair in Europe etc. So it's my "culture" too but I make proper provision for my horse that I pay for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

Cormac... wrote: »
    Eh no, it's to ensure that Guards can easily seal the place off if they need to do a raid as there's only 1 entrance/exit point

It costs the state 1273 EUR per day to have Gardai at the housing project site.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/security-at-hollyhill-traveller-project-cost-euro300k-322169.html

I think you mean prosecuted. They certainly are not persecuted. Quite the opposite!

I do ! Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,333 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Cormac... wrote: »
    No mention of the fact it's genuinely walled off like District 9 :pac:

Fooking prawns!

• Advertisement

kowloon wrote: »
    Fooking prawns!

" I love watching you prawns die. "

Sorry had to! :-D

This discussion has been closed.