Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveller families refusing to move to purpose built houses

Options
  • 11-06-2015 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/video-travellers-refuse-to-move-to-euro5m-facility-in-cork-336241.html
    Traveller families are refusing to move 200 yards from their old cramped halting site to a new purpose-built €5m housing scheme in a standoff over horses and other issues.
    Cork City Council unveiled the new St Anthony’s Park scheme which it has developed in Hollyhill, on the city’s northside, yesterday.
    It has been designed specifically to accommodate members of 16 Traveller families living in the nearby city-run halting site

The council said it plans to begin relocating the families next Monday, when the old halting site will no longer be deemed an official halting site. It is understood that those who do not move will be technically classed as trespassers. It is then proposed to rezone the old halting site to facilitate another massive expansion of Apple’s campus.

However, just seven Traveller families have signed up for Monday’s big move.

City Hall said housing officials have made “strenuous efforts” over the last 18-months to meet all the requirements and individual needs of the families.

But Traveller Visibility Group (TVG) spokesperson, Chrissie O’Sullivan, said several still have “outstanding concerns”.

It is understood some families want facilities for their horses on the new site, and some are holding out for disturbance money.

City officials said they only have a responsibility to provide housing for the Travellers, and that has been done.
    It has seven one-bed bungalows, three three-bed houses, three four-bed houses, and nine spacious bays upon which nine new caravans will be installed.

The bays are each equipped with a stand-alone welfare unit which includes a kitchen/dining area, a living area, a utility room, a bathroom, and generous storage space.

The development features solar panels and stoves with back boilers to maximise energy efficiency, built-in wardrobes, fully-fitted kitchens and flooring provided throughout.

A new community centre has been built on site to house community initiatives such as a homework club, computer literacy courses, learner driver courses and boxing. A grotto and two large green areas for recreational and play purposes have been provided.

8,700 people on the waiting list in Cork City

If they have not left the old halting site by Monday then give the houses to someone more in need on the housing list.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The accommodation is travellers specific. No one else is entitled to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Don't they cause regular disturbances for free? Why do they want to get paid for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

They deserve nothing because they contribute nothing

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Jesus, you couldn't make it up.

Chris___ wrote: »
    8,700 people on the waiting list in Cork City

If they have not left the old halting site by Monday then give the houses to someone more in need on the housing list.

Presumably it's specific halting site style houses. Not really applicable to normal accommodation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭weisses

I'll say we move over there in the weekend and start squatting

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Disturbance money. Ha. Clear them out and give the homes to people who would be thankful for them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

anncoates wrote: »
    Presumably it's specific halting site style houses. Not really applicable to normal accommodation.

It's still a roof over someone's head and gets an otherwise homeless family out of the cold even temporarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

What a complete waste of 5m.

Shoulda been put to building normal houses for the homeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭sjb25

eviltwin wrote: »

Traveller specific or not I'm sure plenty would take it even one of the homeless charity's to use them as temporary housing travellers offered it they said no so fcuk them back to the bottom of the list and they can p1ss off I'm sure that would be discriminating etc etc tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

But Traveller Visibility Group (TVG) spokesperson, Chrissie O’Sullivan, said several still have “outstanding concerns”.

It is understood some families want facilities for their horses on the new site, and some are holding out for

You would think that they would be ecstatic at the states generousity, but nope, they want more gibs. Unbelievable.
    City officials said they only have a responsibility to provide housing for the Travellers, and that has been done.
    It has seven one-bed bungalows, three three-bed houses, three four-bed houses, and nine spacious bays upon which nine new caravans will be installed.

The bays are each equipped with a stand-alone welfare unit which includes a kitchen/dining area, a living area, a utility room, a bathroom, and generous storage space.

The development features solar panels and stoves with back boilers to maximise energy efficiency, built-in wardrobes, fully-fitted kitchens and flooring provided throughout.

They sound pretty nice.
    A new community centre has been built on site to house community initiatives such as a homework club, computer literacy courses, learner driver courses and boxing. A grotto and two large green areas for recreational and play purposes have been provided.

A community centre, play area and a boxing gym too. Still not good enough. This is what the entitlement culture breeds. Imagine turning down a free seven bedroom gaff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

eviltwin wrote: »

I f*cking hate that word.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭sjb25

I f*cking hate that word.

+1

Horse berths, built-in grottos and boxing facilities as spec

Can you imagine the middle class, hand-wringing Tristan that came up with those gems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

They get all this stuff for free and don't even accept it...and then the people that actually contribute to society have to struggle with mortgages and the like.

Some joke.

Of course we can't do anything about it because they are an "ethnic minority" apparently. Which is also a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

What a fcuking joke! Disturbance money!! Disturbance of what? They don't work, they don't contribute to society in any meaningful way, they don't do anything to integrate with the settled community, they're getting purpose built housing for nothing, will not be charged rent or have a mortgage. They'll continue to get dole and a raft of other expenses and they have the neck to Ask for disturbance money. No wonder they're so hated by society.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Give me the address of this place I'll move my family down from Dublin then when Johnny or Mary want there traveller only accommodation they can pay me and my family to move out. call it resettlement payment

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

sjb25 wrote: »
    Traveller specific or not I'm sure plenty would take it even one of the homeless charity's to use them as temporary housing travellers offered it they said no so fcuk them back to the bottom of the list and they can p1ss off I'm sure that would be discriminating etc etc tho

I agree, they sound like great homes. My point is that councils won't allow non travellers to use traveller specific homes. It's discrimination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

5 million on 16 houses and some concrete:eek: Why can't we just have American style trailer parks where they pay rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Demanding disturbance money is just their culture. Hand it over, stupid taxpayers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

Outrageous that they forgot to build the stables and equestrian center, :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭LadyFenghuang

What a fcuking joke! Disturbance money!! Disturbance of what? They don't work, they don't contribute to society in any meaningful way, they don't do anything to integrate with the settled community, they're getting purpose built housing for nothing, will not be charged rent or have a mortgage. They'll continue to get dole and a raft of other expenses and they have the neck to Ask for disturbance money. No wonder they're so hated by society.

I understand all posters here will be weighing in with the best of intentions.

I appreciate that. However it is worth considering apart from this story for a moment travelers are a very hard persecuted group. From Roma to Irish travelers.

Before I make up my mind I intend to read through every inch of this story and ponder. They deserve that first.

I understand a home is an absolute dream for many.

A fair minded carefully thought out thought process is best when dealing with these kinds of stories. It might be true it might not. There might be justifiable reasons or none at all.

I will reserve my judgement for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

No mention of the fact it's genuinely walled off like District 9 :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Travellers that won't even travel 200 yards up the road for a free house! Lazy, good-for-nothing, inbred parasites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

Cormac... wrote: »
    No mention of the fact it's genuinely walled off like District 9 :pac:

That's to ensure they are not 'disturbed'

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

travelers are a very hard persecuted group.

No, no they aren't.

They are the definition of 'mollycoddled'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

hju6 wrote: »
    That's to ensure they are not 'disturbed'

Eh no, it's to ensure that Guards can easily seal the place off if they need to do a raid as there's only 1 entrance/exit point

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

I understand all posters here will be weighing in with the best of intentions.

I appreciate that. However it is worth considering apart from this story for a moment travelers are a very hard persecuted group. From Roma to Irish travelers.

Before I make up my mind I intend to read through every inch of this story and ponder. They deserve that first.

I understand a home is an absolute dream for many.

A fair minded carefully thought out thought process is best when dealing with these kinds of stories. It might be true it might not. There might be justifiable reasons or none at all.

I will reserve my judgement for the moment.
    Second post...welcome Lady Troll 😏

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 127 ✭✭Buzz Meeks

Before you make up your mind, open it.

• Advertisement

Second post...welcome Lady Troll ðŸ˜

Whenever a thread on a 'hot' topic opens now, I unconsciously lay bets as to when a new account with a boards logo will suddenly appear with a conspicuously antipodal opinion early on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement