Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New left wing party. Will it succeed?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

The inclusion of Deputy Shortall in this new party is a little worrying, if it means they'll follow through with FG's ridiculous plans to increase the price of a bottle of beer to €2.20...
    Now there's what I'd call a 528th order worry. If one at all. You don't think it's somewhat more concerning that this is a redundant bunch of populist all-things-to-all-people reinventing the wheel types?
    Our policies? One for everyone in the audience.
    If you don't mind them half-baked, warm, and very fuzzy around the edges, at least!

alaimacerc wrote: »
    So... they on economic policy what Renua are on "matters if moral conscience (da bishop told me how ta vote)"? Definitely liberal on "social policy"... social justice there's an opt-out clause on?

All a little odd, methinks.
    Yep, it's like someone took a hacksaw to the Progressive Democrats; social policy went into the SDP; economic policy trotted off to Renua.

It's hard to take either of them seriously because they don't seem to have a whole political identity. Which is a shame: Donnelly & Creighton are both talented and intelligent TDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Yep, it's like someone took a hacksaw to the Progressive Democrats; social policy went into the SDP; economic policy trotted off to Renua.
    Did the PDs really ever have any actual "progressive social policies"? Or just make vague mutterings about that, then crack on on with the vastly regressive economic stuff? I suppose the distinction might be pretty moot, given the small matter of coalition with FF.
    It's hard to take either of them seriously because they don't seem to have a whole political identity.
    Renua are FG without abortion. SDs are Labour without water charges. And in both cases, the "taint" of government -- and government with each other, what's more. Too much detail would just make that a little bit too obvious, so why no just keep a bit of possible deniability?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Did the PDs really ever have any actual "progressive social policies"? Or just make vague mutterings about that, then crack on on with the vastly regressive economic stuff? I suppose the distinction might be pretty moot, given the small matter of coalition with FF.

Renua are FG without abortion. SDs are Labour without water charges. And in both cases, the "taint" of government -- and government with each other, what's more. Too much detail would just make that a little bit too obvious, so why no just keep a bit of possible deniability?

You need to read up on the history of the PD's and its formation in the 80's. A big split emerged because FF were much more socially conservative than the PD's, just take for example contraception.

Did the PDs really ever have any actual "progressive social policies"? Or just make vague mutterings about that, then crack on on with the vastly regressive economic stuff?
    Yeah, you're right the overwhelming focus was on economic policy. PD manifestos were very weak on social issues from 1997 onwards. They were at least socially liberal in an official sense, I suppose, even if they did damn-all about it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

Well we've never had a nothing but right-wing parties in power since the Irish Republic was dissolved in 1922 & all the parties since the Free State era have been right-wing. So I hope this new party or Sinn Fein can take power. I just really hope it's not FG again

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Ummm, Labour and the Greens are both left of centre and have been part of the last two governments, albeit a junior partner. FG, yeah, solidly right of centre, Christian Democrat types. FF, if you're feeling generous you can describe them as centrist; if not, a populist party trying to be all things to all people.

I wouldn't really class the likes of SF, PBP, AAA or SWP as properly left wing. In reality they're even more populist than FF in their pomp. Which takes some doing.

Advertisement