Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New left wing party. Will it succeed?

Options
  • 11-06-2015 7:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭

According to the papers, we're going to get a new left of centre party in time for the GE.

Van Turnhout has already tweeted to say that's its news to her, but she may just be keeping her cards close to her chest.

Personally, I think that a move by independents away from permanent, no consequence, opposition and into the real world of a party, where they will have to agree a comprehensive set of policies, and possibly negotiate themselves into a government, is a good thing.

But will they get off the ground, can they raise the money they will need to fight a GE as a party, can they agree policies or will the first item on the agenda be the split?

And if they do get organised, who will they take votes from and who would they coalesce with?
    Independent TDs Catherine Murphy, Stephen Donnelly and Róisín Shortall are about to set up a new political party.

The three TDs are linking up with Senators Katherine Zappone and Jillian van Turnhout, who are both the Taoiseach’s nominees in the Seanad.

Mr Donnelly confirmed talks about the setting up of the new party are under way.

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/new-party-to-be-headed-by-murphy-donnelly-and-shortall-31293072.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Lets hope it works out, with Stephen Donnelly and Catherine at the helm they’ll have my vote.

I wonder if they do gather a little steam would that ignite a round of defections?

Lets hope it works out, with Stephen Donnelly and Catherine at the helm they’ll have my vote.

I wonder if they do gather a little steam would that ignite a round of defections?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭lundrum

I hope this is true. As a young person in Ireland, I really don't feel like any of the major political parties represent my views very well. I'm very interested in politics, but I can't bring myself to work with any of the political parties around my area. Hopefully this'll be a party that's actually different and not just the same with a different brand (*ahem* FF and FG *ahem*).

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

Does anyone have an issue with two Taoiseach's nominees being involved in this grouping? It seems to me that during the Seanad referndum we had a lot of talk about using the Seanad for expertise for people who wouldn't get elected as TDs or otherwise be involved in politics. I'm worried that if Taoiseach's nominees become politically problematic for the sitting government, we'll see less diversity in appointments and more party hacks getting the nod instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Labour already occupy that landscape, so aside from retaining those TD's their seats. I'm unsure as to its chances for larger success.

• Advertisement

Labour already occupy that landscape, so aside from retaining those TD's their seats. I'm unsure as to its chances for larger success.

There’s political ideology but there’s also political will, specifically in the area of true reform.

No better example of this DOB/IBRC shambles where Catherine Murphy had to move proverbial atlas stones to first be heard, to then be taken seriously and lastly to get a action. She’s achieved a lot but it’s taken a vast amount of time and resources to get there, and for what? What have FG to hide in all of this? There obtuseness on the matter only raises suspicions and the fact they EVENTUALLY relented to a commission of investigation is a very poor reflection on them.

Now, lets say Stephen and Co. were in power. What do you expect might happen? Personally I think a truly independent investigation would have launched on day one.

Ireland has only ever had ‘old guard’ politics, would be nice to have some people in charge that actually gave a sh1t about the actual people and not the preservation of their political dynasty.

Now, lets say Stephen and Co. were in power. What do you expect might happen? Personally I think a truly independent investigation would have launched on day one.

Great.... Another tribunal into the merits of why state owned banks arrive at the charged interest rate for their clients.

That's only about 2 million loans to investigate.... No problem at all.

(Leaving aside the fact that both Donnelly & Murphy campaigned against increasing the powers & abilities of oireachtas investigations!)

But even leaving that stupidity aside, looking at especially Donnelly's opposition to irelands economic improvement, there is nothing here to distinguish a these guys from the rest of the opposition noise.

At least Renua are trying to build a party organically..... If these 3 just want to create a brand to make reelection easier, I won't be impressed... Time will tell of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

once they don't get Averil Power or Healy-Eames involved they'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The economy is growing, confidence is returning, people see opportunities for themselves in the workplace. Leftwing politics (tax workers, distribute the money to the "vulnerable") doesn't play well in this sort of environment - people might feel vulnerable in a downturn, and are happy to attach themselves to left-wing politicians who advocate getting someone else to pay their mortgage, but in an upturn the last thing most people want is someone threatening to increase their taxes and hand it out to the rump who don't have a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Perhaps agreed on the 'lack of a need' but Donelly et-al aren't going to join Labour and rise to the top in record time. This is a bit of a land-grab imo, and is quite tactically astute.

I think that instead of joining and gazzumping, we're looking at the beginnings of a 'New Labour' re-write of similar policies. Destroy all legacy/historical baggage and start again with similar policies and more impressive faces/politicians.

Now that I've said this, they'll clearly go on to totally and utter fall flat and this post will be a 'look how wrong that guy got it'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

The more parties, the better in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

They are leaving it far too late imo to have any real impact in the next election.
    They'll end up fighting it with half developed policies and no policies at all agreed across a range of policy areas.

They will leave themselves open to people poking holes in what they do present without the benefits that independents traditionally have of being able to be against policies they don't like (usually anything that limits public spending) without having to put forward costed alternatives.

once they don't get Averil Power or Healy-Eames involved they'll be fine.
    Averil Power might be a fit and she needs a vehicle in Dublin Bay North.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Phoebas wrote: »
    Averil Power might be a fit and she needs a vehicle in Dublin Bay North.

a bandwagon?

a bandwagon?
    Cynic! :)

But yeah - she would have been in with a good shout with FF behind her, but as in Ind, she's competing with the likes of Finian McGrath, who for some reason is very popular.
    She'd be a high profile figure in this new party if she could convince herself that she's 'left' enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

it's hard to say what level of support this party could achieve, there is defiantly space for a new 'centre' left party (most of the so called far left are fairly centre. their economic policy is by and large modified keynesian economics. I also wouldn't have considered Catherine murphy ex workers party center left) the labour vote has been hit hard so a centre left party could take some of their support

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

If they play their cards right, they could be in a strong position in the next Dail. Labour picked up a hell of a lot of votes last time out, and while they'll be losing a lot of those at the next election, they won't lose many for being too leftwing. There's a lot of space for a party to the left of where Labour currently stand.

That said, it's space currently occupied by the Greens, who have quietly regathered and rebuilt over the last few years and are capturing a huge share of the under-30 demographic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

If they play their cards right, they could be in a strong position in the next Dail. Labour picked up a hell of a lot of votes last time out, and while they'll be losing a lot of those at the next election, they won't lose many for being too leftwing. There's a lot of space for a party to the left of where Labour currently stand.

That said, it's space currently occupied by the Greens, who have quietly regathered and rebuilt over the last few years and are capturing a huge share of the under-30 demographic.

Really?
    Where's the evidence for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Really?
    Where's the evidence for that?

No formal evidence, I'm afraid. Just a pattern I noticed in the last couple of years among the people I knew from college - where my generation's future candidates gravitated towards FF, FG and Labour, the cohort a few years later is throwing up a lot more Greens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

New party's policy priorities -

1. Double the price of drink

That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 otoolepw

do we really need more splinter party nonsense? so we can't bring about change from within then it's lets bail and create a factional interest party.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

There's a need for another left wing party? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Just a grab for the middle class left wing vote that Labour usually get but this time there will be a 'protest' vote against Labour, even though their voters don't know how well they have done in protecting their interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ackyboi

whether it'll be successful or not, a new leftist party would be a welcome addition to the irish political landscape. Labour can hardly claim to be left, they're the most right wing party in the country by now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

ackyboi wrote: »
    whether it'll be successful or not, a new leftist party would be a welcome addition to the irish political landscape. Labour can hardly claim to be left, they're the most right wing party in the country by now

Eh what?

ackyboi wrote: »

Agreed (on the proviso that neither of us know what 'right wing' means).

Donnelly is smart, Murphy is tenacious. Shortall is a idiot though. I wouldn't be surprised to see Power come in either. She's be a good fit.

Donnelly will get my vote again though, as I trust him. I saw him give speeches on equality funding before and I absolutely admire his stance on actually researching how measures will affect people in the budget instead of lashing it out with no concern how it will affect the public.t

I know he's in favour of budgets being released to other members of the oireachteas before budget day so submissions can be informed and discussed unlike these days where it's all a big "Surprise!"

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

They aren't a party though...

However impressive people might feel that Donnelly or Murphy are , that doesn't make them a party

Would people vote for random candidate X because they were in the Donnelly/Murphy Party??

Highly unlikely..

For now, it's just a vehicle to increase the profile of the 2 or 3 head-line members...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭mrduffy

the green party is as green as the paper green.
    1948 forestry act should be abolished.
    More sustainable payments for people with forests

Advertisement