Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what constitutes a social justice warrior?

Options
15678911»

Comments

I would argue the opposite, the evidence is inequality is increasing in economic terms in the west
    Where? And compared to what time? 6 months ago? 6 years? 60 years? 600 years?

The rampage of creative destruction ebbs and flows, and is expected to be weakest during recessions, or when society, in the form of state intervention, curbs market freedoms.

For a hypothetical example, if a government in a relatively liberal, advanced economy were to drastically increase the minimum wage to 20 euro per hour, we would expect massive unemployment and weak public investment. Educational resources would diminish, and if a depression in the economy were to persist, the ability (and willingness) of the masses to challenge the wealthy would be compromised.

North Korea is a dramatic extension of my example. One of the greatest problems in North Korea is that the march of progress has been inverted so far that the masses are too uneducated and too inarticulate to critique and challenge the society around them.
    You mention polyamorous dating for example, whats one of the major sites used by them Ok Cupid, a site owned by the same company that own match.com and tinder, capitalism doesn't hate "alternativeness" its just another market to exploit.
    I'm not saying that capitalism hates alternative lifestyles. I'm saying that conservatives, by definition, tend to be hostile to social change or what leftists call 'progress', and I am claiming that in a capitalist society, those on the left are 'bound to win', as the theory of creative destruction would seem to indicate.
    The old school leftism that established real worthwhile things like the NHS decent pay and conditions and social housing wasn't greatly concerned with being "progressive" it was concerned with helping the working (wo)man.
    Nobody's doubting the sincerity of the motive. That's irrelevant. People who favour transgender rights are sincere; they are not consciously pursuing some long-term goal of destroying capitalism.

Nevertheless, it is interesting that you mention the NHS. The wealthy in Britain deplored the idea of an NHS, and decried Mr Bevan as a gauche caviar, British bolshevik. Today, you daren't say a bad word against him in polite company. We have civilised ourselves to the point where equal access to healthcare is a fundamental desire of almost everybody.

Creative destruction in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

What I find, and it is a good example of the contradiction of the left, promoting diversity is a good however that can lead to ideas such as...despite the fact that children in two parent low conflict family's do better on a host of outcomes, the belief that saying such stigmatises other types of family's so therefore look for alternative measures of successful outcome, in other words if the evidence doesn't suit you change the parameters till you can make the evidence suit what every outcome you want.

Advertisement