Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what constitutes a social justice warrior?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tipparetops

Gbear wrote: »
    It's gas.

You're very much on the far side of the bell curve.

It's the same magnitude of ideologically driven, anti-factual bull****, but from the opposite side of the political spectrum.

In the end of the day, there's lots of people who just flat out reject reality. Their political leanings come after that, but the same fallacies in reasoning are at play.

lets me guess, your very much on the left side of the bell curve.
    With the rest of the the Slim and T Army loving oddities.
    You reject the truth and instead embrace the lies of the bourgeois.
    The ultimate BS talkers.
    But just like all nonsense, it must end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

The ultimate BS talkers.

I'm seriously having a hard time deciphering what you're talking about :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The ultimate BS talkers.

Nope.

If anything, right of center.

I just know out of hand rejection of science in favour of ideological bull**** when I see it.

Nope.

If anything, right of center.

I just know out of hand rejection of science in favour of ideological bull**** when I see it.

The evidence is 50/50.
    For a scientist who says global warming is caused by humans and the clock is ticking, there is another scientist who says the opposite.

Some may actually think that climate change policies are just another chain to put around the necks of the undeveloped world.

Science has done many good things buts let not all kneel at the altar.
    Lets not forget science probably made some of its greatest strides through research practiced in World War 2.

the right always question science, many scientists do think they are gods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

The evidence is 50/50.
    For a scientist who says global warming is caused by humans and the clock is ticking, there is another scientist who says the opposite.

Some may actually think that climate change policies are just another chain to put around the necks of the undeveloped world.

Lets not forget science probably made some of its greatest strides through research practiced in World War 2.

the right always question science when they dont like that the studies show, many scientists do think they are gods.

Fixed that. We saw before iona were using studies that the researches themselves said they were flawed and more research is required to draw conclusions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Humans will just have to adapt to the effects of climate change. They will be gradual so we will have plenty of time.

Fixed that. We saw before iona were using studies that the researches themselves said they were flawed and more research is required to draw conclusions.

not the only ones to do it, not the last.
    all one needs to get any type of research to back their standpoint, money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

not the only ones to do it, not the last.
    all one needs to get any type of research to back their standpoint, money.

Indeed, hence why peer review is so important. Something which gets often ignored. I can get my research to say anything I want but if 9 other researchers get different results to mine and point out where I went wrong then those 9 are probably right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

The evidence is 50/50.

No there's not, the vast vast majority of scientists studying climate change all agree that it's being accelerated by human acitivity.

Source: not my arse http://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,864 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Not to mention that tiny minority of "climate change skeptic" climatologists are often on the payroll of fossil fuel companies.

• Advertisement

Indeed, hence why peer review is so important. Something which gets often ignored. I can get my research to say anything I want but if 9 other researchers get different results to mine and point out where I went wrong then those 9 are probably right.

like the climate research unit emails - classic example of peer review not working if 9 out of 10 scientists wish the same outcomes.

Not to mention that tiny minority of "climate change skeptic" climatologists are often on the payroll of fossil fuel companies.

And those concerns about low frequencies caused by wind turbines? You can probably guess where those studies came from. And their academic worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

How on Earth can a climate change denier still exist ?

Look at the ever shrinking Aral sea, the fact Icebreakers are now capable of navigating the Northern passages in Canada, Polar Bears feasting on Dolphin carcasses who have migrated as far north as Svalbard, the trends in sea levels pointing toward the inevitable swallowing of entire seaboards and cities like Bangkok. Piss taking on another level.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The evidence is 50/50.

For whatever reason, you're deluding yourself.

I don't know what belief you have vested in climate change not being real - fixing it as a problem doesn't mean the downfall of capitalism, nor would it have much of an impact on our quality of life.

It's a terrific opportunity to clean up our environment and with a range of carbon-neutral options for transport, power generation and so forth, it needn't be particularly costly.

I know why companies that would stand to lose from enforcing carbon cutting policies want to lie about it - their entire business is at stake.

Unless you work for them you don't really have a dog in that fight though.
    Obviously, they pay people - politicians, news organistations and the like, to peddle their rubbish, but if you even have a rudimentary understanding of the issue, that nonsense won't fly.

It's nothing like 50/50. The overwhelming majority of climate scientists (97%) and scientists in general understand that it's a real problem - quite likely the biggest problem that the Western world faces.

The climate doesn't care about our politics.

It might be difficult to persuade developing nations to not make the same mistakes we did - taking shortcuts to industrialisation at the cost of the environment, but if we can't, then it won't be rich Western countries who pay for it, but the developing nations themselves.
    They have the most to lose from this problem.

Science is a tool. Nothing more, nothing less.

It has no moral implications in itself.

With that said, it hasn't done "many good things". It has done everything.
    Our entire society is built on science. It has allowed the safest, healthiest, wealthiest, most interconnected and most advanced society in the history of the world to exist.

There is literally no difference between the science you're happy to trust to fly you around, to drive you around, to call your family, to cook your dinner, to send your communications, to run your business, etc, and the process behind our understanding of climate change.

It's all different fields of the same process. An application of one broad method to a multitude of problems.
    the right always question science, many scientists do think they are gods.

An utterly vapid statement in every sense.
    You'd be as well saying it about bin men, cheese producers or dance instructors.
    Scientists are people, they have a profession and they have a useful set of skills but ultimately they have the same good and bad personality traits as everyone else.

Show us which scientists think they're gods, show us why they're representative of scientists as a whole and demonstrate how they differ from everyone else. I'm sure you've got some extensive evidence to hand to back up a statement slandering tens of thousands of people.

To bring this back to the thread as a whole;
    SJWs (a stereotype, I'll happily grant you, but we haven't bloody well got all day to go through the minutia) have, for whatever reason, a belief system that isn't rooted in testability, empiricism, rationality logic but rather, first and foremost, gut feelings.

If someone can just come along with figures and facts that invalidate one of your opinions, it strikes at the core of everything underpinning all of your beliefs. That's true whether you have a secular belief system that's about just making the world a "nicer" place as far as you're concerned, or you have a prescription to believe certain facts from a holy text.

To pre-empt that problem, you see how the holy texts often drum home the importance of faith, as do autocracies - there is one revealed truth that can't be questioned. Everything else must be denied and learning too much about competing ideas leads to temptation and must be avoided.

You see that too on the leftist-SJW side of things as well - empirical questions have no prejudice or morality but that doesn't stop certain questions surrounding things like race, culture, poverty, crime and so on being made taboo.

Look at the ever shrinking Aral sea, the fact Icebreakers are now capable of navigating the Northern passages in Canada, Polar Bears feasting on Dolphin carcasses who have migrated as far north as Svalbard, the trends in sea levels pointing toward the inevitable swallowing of entire seaboards and cities like Bangkok. Piss taking on another level.

so every natural disaster is due to climate change.
    climate change denier, is there really people who talk like this.
    moronic.

For whatever reason, you're deluding yourself.

I don't know what belief you have vested in climate change not being real - fixing it as a problem doesn't mean the downfall of capitalism, nor would it have much of an impact on our quality of life.
    o
    It's a terrific opportunity to clean up our environment and with a range of carbon-neutral options for transport, power generation and so forth, it needn't be particularly costly.

I know why companies that would stand to lose from enforcing carbon cutting policies want to lie about it - their entire business is at stake.

Unless you work for them you don't really have a dog in that fight though.
    Obviously, they pay people - politicians, news organistations and the like, to peddle their rubbish, but if you even have a rudimentary understanding of the issue, that nonsense won't fly.

It's nothing like 50/50. The overwhelming majority of climate scientists (97%) and scientists in general understand that it's a real problem - quite likely the biggest problem that the Western world faces.

The climate doesn't care about our politics.

It might be difficult to persuade developing nations to not make the same mistakes we did - taking shortcuts to industrialisation at the cost of the environment, but if we can't, then it won't be rich Western countries who pay for it, but the developing nations themselves.
    They have the most to lose from this problem.

Science is a tool. Nothing more, nothing less.

It has no moral implications in itself.

With that said, it hasn't done "many good things". It has done everything.
    Our entire society is built on science. It has allowed the safest, healthiest, wealthiest, most interconnected and most advanced society in the history of the world to exist.

There is literally no difference between the science you're happy to trust to fly you around, to drive you around, to call your family, to cook your dinner, to send your communications, to run your business, etc, and the process behind our understanding of climate change.

It's all different fields of the same process. An application of one broad method to a multitude of problems.

An utterly vapid statement in every sense.
    You'd be as well saying it about bin men, cheese producers or dance instructors.
    Scientists are people, they have a profession and they have a useful set of skills but ultimately they have the same good and bad personality traits as everyone else.

Show us which scientists think they're gods, show us why they're representative of scientists as a whole and demonstrate how they differ from everyone else. I'm sure you've got some extensive evidence to hand to back up a statement slandering tens of thousands of people.

To bring this back to the thread as a whole;
    SJWs (a stereotype, I'll happily grant you, but we haven't bloody well got all day to go through the minutia) have, for whatever reason, a belief system that isn't rooted in testability, empiricism, rationality logic but rather, first and foremost, gut feelings.

If someone can just come along with figures and facts that invalidate one of your opinions, it strikes at the core of everything underpinning all of your beliefs. That's true whether you have a secular belief system that's about just making the world a "nicer" place as far as you're concerned, or you have a prescription to believe certain facts from a holy text.

To pre-empt that problem, you see how the holy texts often drum home the importance of faith, as do autocracies - there is one revealed truth that can't be questioned. Everything else must be denied and learning too much about competing ideas leads to temptation and must be avoided.

You see that too on the leftist-SJW side of things as well - empirical questions have no prejudice or morality but that doesn't stop certain questions surrounding things like race, culture, poverty, crime and so on being made taboo.

oil is king. it makes everything from car tyres to windfarms.
    don't buy everything your sold.
    we are all affected by carbon tax to pay for this nonsense.

i would have more respect if global warming policies were used to rid us of our dependence on the middle east - no chance that ever happening unless we frack and frack like we mean it.

so every natural disaster is due to climate change.
    climate change denier, is there really people who talk like this.
    moronic.

How the hell did you infer that from Hans's post? Climate change almost certainly wouldn't cause volcanic eruptions or earthquakes, but it will lead to desertification and drought in some areas and flooding due to the rise in the sea levels caused by the polar ice caps melting, which IS happening.

Fracking is nowhere near being a solution.

oil is king. it makes everything from car tyres to windfarms.
    don't buy everything your sold.
    we are all affected by carbon tax to pay for this nonsense.

i would have more respect if global warming policies were used to rid us of our dependence on the middle east - no chance that ever happening unless we frack and frack like we mean it.

*facepalm*

I presume by "global warming policies" you mean switching to renewable sources of energy, e.g. wind, hydro, tidal, solar and nuclear power. Well, guess what? Those renewable sources of energy would replace fossil fuels and reduce dependence on the likes of middle eastern countries and Russia, who is currently the biggest exporter of natural gas to the EU.

How the hell did you infer that from Hans's post? Climate change almost certainly wouldn't cause volcanic eruptions or earthquakes, but it will lead to desertification and drought in some areas and flooding due to the rise in the sea levels caused by the polar ice caps melting, which IS happening.

climate change caused the Sahara desert to form.
    climate change occurs naturally.
    but people in the first world are so self absorbed we believe we are to blame, while the poor people in China try and grow their economy.

• Advertisement

*facepalm*

I presume by "global warming policies" you mean switching to renewable sources of energy, e.g. wind, hydro, tidal, solar and nuclear power. Well, guess what? Those renewable sources of energy would replace fossil fuels and reduce dependence on the likes of middle eastern countries and Russia, who is currently the biggest exporter of natural gas to the EU.

Ireland should frack and go nuclear, and than slowly invest in renewables.
    it makes sense.

Of course climate change occurs naturally. What humans have done is to rapidly accelerate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Of course climate change occurs naturally. What humans have done is to rapidly accelerate it.

The way I see it, the sooner all that nasty oil and ozone is done away with the sooner we can all join hands across the world in peace and friendship. That's why I had a half-gallon of Carlsberg and a large curry-chip (PAAAAARP!!) earlier, while Mrs. Goose drove the Jaaag home. Don't thank me, this is my simple gift to the future Differently Tarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I believe fracking could have disasterous impact on wildlife. Particularly on anything thay lives under a bridge. I am surprised to find you unconcerned tipp...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

The evidence is 50/50.
    lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

No there's not, the vast vast majority of scientists studying climate change all agree that it's being accelerated by human acitivity.

Source: not my arse http://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

The big bag theory was the consensus 10 years ago, Now it's not a lot of other theory's are taking it's place. Just because it's the norm now does not mean it's correct or right. There are no repeatable results only models that are always wrong in Climate change.

Point to a time in history when there was no climate change ?

And has happened before, before humans were around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

The big bag theory was the consensus 10 years ago, Now it's not a lot of other theory's are taking it's place.
    Really? What are these other theories supplanting it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Plryty

Being a complete loser

I've never known an SJW who wasn't one in real life.

Come to think of it, this is surprisingly blunt but accurate. I've never seen any outgoing/talented guy have such zealotry, unless it was for a very specific cause for direct impact.

The types who took the next step & brought all their beliefs into activism, tended to be the ones who had no stand out quality amongst their peers such as athleticism, humor, proficient on an instrument, academic intelligence etc. Instead they sought to be recognised by defining their self through their beliefs. That mods point on how SJWs can't question their axioms for fear of their world view collapsing is correct insofar as I've seen.

Advertisement