Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Fire service recruitment? Anyone know??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Fire1985

This is true but half the class won’t be able to do it or want to do it . Not everyone does the srt course . So don’t worry if you can’t swim .

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Royal87

Fire1985 wrote: »
    This is true but half the class won’t be able to do it or want to do it . Not everyone does the srt course . So don’t worry if you can’t swim .

Jesus why wouldnt want to lol

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Mcmuffin81

Royal87 wrote: »
    Where does it say this

It doesn't say it anywhere. It is sprung on you in the first week. If you have any intention of being SRT trained you need to pass this.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Dooj

Timtam2020 wrote: »
    Came 63rd in order of merit, I’m probably looking at next year realistically would I be right?
    Thank you.

Im in the 60's too. Probably in by this time next year

• Registered Users Posts: 39 DevonKE13

Well done to all who passed! I have no problem saying that i was in the 120s on the panel! A little disappointed not to come in the top 100 as I felt my interview went well! I scraped through stage 2 and fell from the top 100 after stage 1 (I know that doesn't count) to 355 after stage 2 - so I feel as though this drop in stage 2 came back to haunt me in the grand scheme of things. Just praying now that they actually WILL use the full panel before it expires. Sucks that it will be at least 2022 before i get called (provided they take 2 classes in 2021) but at least i'm on the bus! Hard luck to anybody who didn't make the panel, and best of luck next time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Dant1986

Howyas lads, Well done to everyone who got in! im 125th on the panel , Dose anyone know what are my chances of being called and when can i expect to be called??
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 30 JTH80

Dant1986 wrote: »
    Howyas lads, Well done to everyone who got in! im 125th on the panel , Dose anyone know what are my chances of being called and when can i expect to be called??
    Cheers
    You should be called.
    Probably around two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Edgod83

If 38 are going in this year
    48? The next year
    Then you'll be in the 48 2022 , if that how it works.
    If they do a double year next year you could be in that

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Edgod83

Plus would not be fair to assume some people are gonna pull out in the meantime?

As far as i know.... lets for arguements sake say 50 per class and they call 1-50 on the panel... If 20 of them people dont go to the recruit class for whatever reason (failed medicals, pulled out tch), they wont then call 50-70 to fill the class of 50. instead theyll do the class with 30. That's what happened during the last recruitment so i'm assuming this time is the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Dooj

The chester test anyone know what speed or incline %'s. There doesnt seem to be a set one online!

DevonKE13 wrote: »
    As far as i know.... lets for arguements sake say 50 per class and they call 1-50 on the panel... If 20 of them people dont go to the recruit class for whatever reason (failed medicals, pulled out tch), they wont then call 50-70 to fill the class of 50. instead theyll do the class with 30. That's what happened during the last recruitment so i'm assuming this time is the same.

Cheers for the reply
    So if they did that then if people dropped out of each group theres a chance the likes of mysrlf might not get a call. How many pulled out of you group?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭kingstevii

That's not correct. There'll be 48 in the first class. 10 esqs and 38 off this panel. Possibly, at the very end of the panel there mightnt be enough panelists for the final class due to whatever reason but if it takes calling the top 60 people to fill the 48, they will.

Cheers for the reply
    So if they did that then if people dropped out of each group theres a chance the likes of mysrlf might not get a call. How many pulled out of you group?

Very unlikely you won't get called. Only one panel got scrapped due to the employment embargo and even that panel's time frame had been extended for a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 DePaste

I myself didn’t get a place but I’m looking to now some volunteer work to help make myself a better candidate. I spoke with Civil defence and they are not taking on till September. With regards to the Order Malta, Irish red Crosd etc. Has anyone got any advice or experience on which might be best to volunteer for? Thanks in advance and well done to all that got in.

DePaste wrote: »
    I myself didn’t get a place but I’m looking to now some volunteer work to help make myself a better candidate. I spoke with Civil defence and they are not taking on till September. With regards to the Order Malta, Irish red Crosd etc. Has anyone got any advice or experience on which might be best to volunteer for? Thanks in advance and well done to all that got in.

What about the reserve defence forces

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

Honestly. I dunno what way it works to be fair. I got a C licence for it, and had some volunteer experience. Seems to me your time is better invested in, firstly out of anything getting good at aptitude tests, cause if you don't get past that hurdle you'll be snookered. Then its a case of visit one or two stations, but don't get too bogged down in that either, then invest in giving out an excellent interview. Good or very good won't cut it.

I tried Civil Defence before, and to be honest, some of the lads in the Aux where sound and some of them would turn ye off it. I didn't find there was much public work really, you just be doing drill practice really, like an introduction course on repeat.

Focus on any volunteer work doesn't have to be civil defence, but to me it's a perfect mix of things.

However just prepare yourself for failure, I invested a fair bit of time since last interview and over estimated my abilities. I'm still thinking if I will approach it again, but my tack would be completely different.

I'd firstly buy an A4 pad, mark it, interview stuff and anything you think worthy of an interview example pop it in there so if your lucky to get an interview then you've ready made examples.

Print off a copy of the interview application, populate it with things you'd like to get that you'd feel would be relevant and work on them over the next few years.

Then if like me, you do a bit work last few years and have a bad interview it's all up in flames in then. Pardon the pun! So be prepared for that too.

Oh and try keep in shape :) (maybe even go up a ladder make sure you've no height issues!)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 DePaste

TallGlass2 wrote: »
    Honestly. I dunno what way it works to be fair. I got a C licence for it, and had some volunteer experience. Seems to me your time is better invested in, firstly out of anything getting good at aptitude tests, cause if you don't get past that hurdle you'll be snookered. Then its a case of visit one or two stations, but don't get too bogged down in that either, then invest in giving out an excellent interview. Good or very good won't cut it.

I tried Civil Defence before, and to be honest, some of the lads in the Aux where sound and some of them would turn ye off it. I didn't find there was much public work really, you just be doing drill practice really, like an introduction course on repeat.

Focus on any volunteer work doesn't have to be civil defence, but to me it's a perfect mix of things.

However just prepare yourself for failure, I invested a fair bit of time since last interview and over estimated my abilities. I'm still thinking if I will approach it again, but my tack would be completely different.

I'd firstly buy an A4 pad, mark it, interview stuff and anything you think worthy of an interview example pop it in there so if your lucky to get an interview then you've ready made examples.

Print off a copy of the interview application, populate it with things you'd like to get that you'd feel would be relevant and work on them over the next few years.

Then if like me, you do a bit work last few years and have a bad interview it's all up in flames in then. Pardon the pun! So be prepared for that too.

Oh and try keep in shape :) (maybe even go up a ladder make sure you've no height issues!)

See I have been self employed for a long time and believe it or not this was the first interview I have ever had in my life!!!!

So I think the fact I don’t work in a team and I am my own boss really went against me. My stage wasn’t to bad. I seen someone on this who came lower but still managed to get in. So it was definitely my interview

I’m going to join the order of Malta for the first aid experience and then civil defence for AFS. Also I’m going to do as many public sector interviews I can get into between now and then to gain experience and feedback.

So Once this comes around again I won’t be as nervous and seem much more employable from a teamwork and taking an order perspective.

But once I get feedback I’ll really be able to see where I went wrong. Do you know how long they take to send feedback? It said a few weeks In mail which was kinda vague

It's all very vague. I don't mind saying it either. DCC should be at the standard of PAS. They don't do this non transparent stuff. It's all clear cut. Broken down where you lost out, and if you want to appeal how to do so.

DCC approach it. Good night, good bless your out next one please.

Even PAS, ask for feedback to improve. DCC, ah shure the process is grand.

kingstevii wrote: »
    That's not correct. There'll be 48 in the first class. 10 esqs and 38 off this panel. Possibly, at the very end of the panel there mightnt be enough panelists for the final class due to whatever reason but if it takes calling the top 60 people to fill the 48, they will.

wrong. 30 on this panel. 9 from a previous panel is going in on class 1

• Advertisement

So 39?

Wondering if anyone can help just reading through physical assessment.

Stage 2 the shoulder press 1 rep at 35kg would this be done using a barbell, dumbbell or machine?

You're confusing everything here. The 9 you're talking about have already done their fire training. They're already operational. They won't be in this class. They still have their paramedics to do.

kingstevii wrote: »
    You're confusing everything here. The 9 you're talking about have already done their fire training. They're already operational. They won't be in this class. They still have their paramedics to do.

Exactly so still be a class of 40 plus

• Registered Users Posts: 27 janedoe88

As far as I know it is barbell from standing position.

See I have been self employed for a long time and believe it or not this was the first interview I have ever had in my life!!!!

So I think the fact I don’t work in a team and I am my own boss really went against me. My stage wasn’t to bad. I seen someone on this who came lower but still managed to get in. So it was definitely my interview

I’m going to join the order of Malta for the first aid experience and then civil defence for AFS. Also I’m going to do as many public sector interviews I can get into between now and then to gain experience and feedback.

So Once this comes around again I won’t be as nervous and seem much more employable from a teamwork and taking an order perspective.

But once I get feedback I’ll really be able to see where I went wrong. Do you know how long they take to send feedback? It said a few weeks In mail which was kinda vague

What do you mean your stage wasnt too bad? Did you know your position going into the interview? I wasnt aware of anything like that. I seen my candidate id number thats all

• Registered Users Posts: 37 SAXA999

First 38 from panel plus 10 ESCS for fire training starting May

9 operational firefighters added for paramedic training starting September

Few airport possibly for paramedic training

If some of the 38 from the panel are already paramedic qualified they wont do paramedic training again obviously so that will reduce numbers on paramedic course

janedoe88 wrote: »
    As far as I know it is barbell from standing position.

Thats what i was thinking but wondering what barbell cause standard barbell is 20kg

So u pressing the bar plus a 15 kg plate
    Or u pushing bar plus 35kg but this would be 55kg

What do you mean your stage wasnt too bad? Did you know your position going into the interview? I wasnt aware of anything like that. I seen my candidate id number thats all

Yeah you had up to 30 points from that stage. If you do the maths you can work out how many points that would mean. For me it was 21 points. Add up all your scores from stage 2, put it over the total score then x100 you'll get a percentage. From that you can get that percentage of 30. That's your stage 2 score.

• Advertisement

Anyone info on fitness tests booklet doesn't explain it very well.
    Talking to few people from last intake this is new style of fitness test

Advertisement