Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2015 LC English Paper 2 - Higher Level - The Aftermath***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

What did people say was the central message of the unseen poem ?

I said that the central message was how something significant for example loss can change the way you think about a place and wrote an A4 page backing it up

I didn't do great in the first part, was still unsure of the message. So I went with most likely the norm and said that he wasn't able to move on and put his father in the past.

Then I sort of took a gamble in the second part. I said that the crane alluded to heaven, found that interesting... Then at the end, when he was climbing down the red brick, I said that he was climbing down the crane. The crane was the connection between heaven and earth and he wished for his father to leave heaven and come back.

Just one flaw with that... Cranes aren't made out of Red brick!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 KatieHennessy

For the literary genre second question, it asked for two techniques and I did tension, imagery and symbolism. Just wondering does imagery and symbolism count as one or two techniques? I always thought it was one cause our teacher put them together on our notes. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ladderlad

A lot of people in my school did the values in Othello question, but did Othello the person not the play unfortunately....

I did that too.. be very harsh if they didnt give a bit of credit for such a badly worded question.
    What they could have said:
    1.The values in the play othello...
    2.Shakesphers othello..
    3.The values of elizabeathen society...
    etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 headaches

guys i mixed up my poets..i did frost but stupidly wrote about two hardy poems by accident..whats the marking scheme? i went into detail about two frost poems and mentioned a third! HELP

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Peg14

headaches wrote: »
    guys i mixed up my poets..i did frost but stupidly wrote about two hardy poems by accident..whats the marking scheme? i went into detail about two frost poems and mentioned a third! HELP

what's done is done, there's nothing you can do now, you'll be marked out of 2 poems but you know yourself they are looking for 4, you'll get some marks so its not the end of the world!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 headaches

ugh im just absolutely gutted

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Kermah

Do you reckon Frost was a popular answer?

Kermah wrote: »
    Do you reckon Frost was a popular answer?

Think so! A good few people did Frost in my class. Most were relying on Donne to come though so a lot were shocked that he didn't.

Think so! A good few people did Frost in my class. Most were relying on Donne to come though so a lot were shocked that he didn't.

I did Frost myself, I'm hoping for the minority marking but I don't think I will get it the Frost Q was so nice and straight forward. Hope my personal response to Acquainted With Night earns me marks for originality 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

Poetry was a disaster. I'd be lucky to get 30/70. Done Frost. Ran out of time so rushed it.

Rarely quoted in any question. Thought Theme/Issue question was decent (Done the split question)

Waffled Othello question on Emilia and Desdemona.

Overall bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 2015LC1

One of my friends did the Literary Genre split Q and wrote about key moments in the 40m which is not literary genre. Do they loose the 40m straight away?

Nice paper I thought also ðŸ˜

I did Frost myself, I'm hoping for the minority marking but I don't think I will get it the Frost Q was so nice and straight forward. Hope my personal response to Acquainted With Night earns me marks for originality 😂

Same here it was a lovely question :) Haha yeah I kept throwing in the odd personal response to make it kinda different. I only started the unseen with about 5 minutes left! Just glanced through it and assumed it was about his father dying xD

Same here it was a lovely question :) Haha yeah I kept throwing in the odd personal response to make it kinda different. I only started the unseen with about 5 minutes left! Just glanced through it and assumed it was about his father dying xD

I'm pretty sure I may have messed up the othello Q :( I wrote about the trait of honest and trustworthiness, passion and loyalty and othello Iago & Des.
    2015LC1 wrote: »
    One of my friends did the Literary Genre split Q and wrote about key moments in the 40m which is not literary genre. Do they loose the 40m straight away?

Nice paper I thought also ðŸ˜

It depends how they angled the key moment, if it was in relation to a main character they might get away with it as some GVVP and LG overlap. LG is all about story telling so if they discussed how the key moment help with the P.O.V of how the story was told it should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭maude6868

Did Montague's question on empathy for others only refer to people because I said he had empathy for the pig and the trout as well

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Scirpt

maude6868 wrote: »
    Did Montague's question on empathy for others only refer to people because I said he had empathy for the pig and the trout as well
    I did the same as you. It didn't say other people it just said others. I said Montague had respect for animals and treated them as equals and personified them in his poetry... I hope that's alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 hannah121

Just wondering what you guys wrote for the spilt question on the unseen poetry?? Also did anybody else totally agree with the statement that Emila and Desdemona were weak characters, that question???

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ecoste

I did 3 poems in detail for frost which amounted to about 4.2 pages, my question is- did i need to talk about more ppems or will it be okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭fin709

I'm pretty sure I may have messed up the othello Q :( I wrote about the trait of honest and trustworthiness, passion and loyalty and othello Iago & Des.

If your talking about the value question then honesty and trust are both perfectly acceptable so id doubt you done too bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 2015LC1

It depends how they angled the key moment, if it was in relation to a main character they might get away with it as some GVVP and LG overlap. LG is all about story telling so if they discussed how the key moment help with the P.O.V of how the story was told it should be ok.

They mentioned key characters in it and linked how the writer used it to their advantage so they will probably be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

ecoste wrote: »
    I did 3 poems in detail for frost which amounted to about 4.2 pages, my question is- did i need to talk about more ppems or will it be okay?

People say you do but I'm not sure. I only mentioned three as well and did about 4.5 as well. I don't think you should get docked down. If Plath came up I'd probably have done two poems! I think the less the better, and we shouldn't be penalised for analysing more in depth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭eoin12345

Jealousy and deceit aren't values though? Seemed like a shockingly tricky question. I did the women one but even that was annoying

Depends how you define a value....Anyway its done.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭blobcat

Oh god, reading through the paper and realised the literary genre question only asked for one technique.. whoops

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Rozada

Hi just wondering if you did badly in the comparative (next to no marks) how well can you do overall in the entire paper or are you down to a C/D automatically?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

Rozada wrote:
    Hi just wondering if you did badly in the comparative (next to no marks) how well can you do overall in the entire paper or are you down to a C/D automatically?
    Girl in my class got a b in the mock with no comparative

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭BlueWolf16

Rozada wrote: »

Comparative is 17.5%, still possible to get a B1.. though as long as you did something for it, you should get atleast 40% in it. Don't worry about it man, probably wasn't as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭BlueWolf16

blobcat wrote: »
    Oh god, reading through the paper and realised the literary genre question only asked for one technique.. whoops

I know right?? How the hell do you talk for 5 pages about one little technique? I did 5 myself, Narration, Narrative Structure, Dialogue, Tension and suspense and Imagery and symbolism. Hopefully the marking scheme allows for atleast 1, not just 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

Rozada wrote: »

Doesnt work that way. Firstly-you probably got some marks for comparative. Comparative is worth what 17%? Even if you wrote it all off-its still quite possible to get a C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

Just curious-to ask typical C students (ie you generally get 55-60 there or there abouts-how much you wrote for each part?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Shanmcg97

hannah121 wrote: »
    Just wondering what you guys wrote for the spilt question on the unseen poetry?? Also did anybody else totally agree with the statement that Emila and Desdemona were weak characters, that question???

Yeah I agreed that they were, a lot of people said they weren't weak but anyway I said that they both failed to see their husbands scheming and although emilia comes across as worldly wise and cynical she fails to gain my sympathy cause she isint aware of what iago is up to and for desdemona I said that even though she is a heavenly figure she is deluded in that she sees her husband as a heroic figure and doesn't see him for who he really is. Now I could be totally wrong too but that's what i said.

• Advertisement

BlueWolf16 wrote: »
    I know right?? How the hell do you talk for 5 pages about one little technique? I did 5 myself, Narration, Narrative Structure, Dialogue, Tension and suspense and Imagery and symbolism. Hopefully the marking scheme allows for atleast 1, not just 1.

I just did a load on tension and imagery and symbolism for the first part, I did the split question. It was a strange one alright. Wasn't sure if I should have put more than one technique in or not! I was debating whether imagery and symbolism counts as one technique or two since they're basically the same thing more or less!

Advertisement