Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2015 LC English Paper 2 - Higher Level - The Aftermath***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

Everyone wrote so much! I wrote a mere 13 pages- now I feel silly. I didn't even get the unseen done. I was sooo tired.

Handwriting size and gap between words compounds heavily, it doesn't matter how much you wrote really.. I did 13 in the mocks and got 82, did 14 and a bit today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Doctorhopeful

Was a bit annoyed that the most predictable poets came up. Would have loved a Plath or Dickinson question to come up rather than Ni Chuilleanáin. Wanting to do something different sort of caught me out as the Hardy essay was not nice. It said that the bleak imagery overshadows the comforting reflections found in his work. I haven't studied a poem that was comforting from Hardy. So I had to manipulate my answer to disagree somehow and make it relevant.

The Othello essay was nice enough on the two central women. I had an essay prepared on them each so I was just picking my best overall points.

The comparative theme was really annoying. The question glosses over idealism and realism as the impression of the reader, whereas our three texts leave the reader with a pessimistic impression. Thought the question was poorly asked by the sec and didn't allow for all types of texts.

Why did you have to manipulate the Hardy question? I agreed with the statement and justsaid it was true that bleak imagery overshadowed happiness. Am I missing something? Seems like you made it harder for yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 43 k88

I couldn't have predicted a nicer paper! Literary Genre was tricky with one technique..I went with symbolism but i found it hard to structure the essay when I was only discussing one technique. I did a paragraph per symbol and compared/end at the start of each..I was expecting the comparative to go better but I was expecting Othello to be horrible and it was good so it balanced out in the end! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 DesuDesuChan

Handwriting size and gap between words compounds heavily, it doesn't matter how much you wrote really.. I did 13 in the mocks and got 82, did 14 and a bit today :D

Wow, that's impressive! Thanks for your reassurance, I felt awful <3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

fin709 wrote: »
    I think they'll realise that the quote can be interpreted in many ways and thus be leniant. And hardy isn't a popular poet so that will work in our favour

Yeah in one way I'm happy the most predictable came up. And the poll suggests that a small fraction would have done him.

My answer just feels like a blur at this stage! Going to try evaluate how I did and then put it away and move on to maths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ShaunDaSheep

wrote 7 pages on comparative
    wrote 5 pages for the question on emilia and desdemona
    wrote 2 pages on the unseen poetry
    wrote a page and a half on ENC who i didnt even study until 30 mins before exam, will be lucky to get 10/50 marks for it

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Doctorhopeful

eoin12345 wrote: »
    I took values to mean values of characters and talked about deciet jealousy and greed... It was very misleading though, I first thought it was about Othello's values.

Jealousy and deceit aren't values though? Seemed like a shockingly tricky question. I did the women one but even that was annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Laurenom

I'm absolutely devastated, paper 1 was bad but this was a disaster. I'd say if I got 10/70 in the comparative I'd be lucky, the whole thing confused me, I didn't have enough time either.

John montague question was awful, his main 2 poems I studied were about himself, so I had to do Frost which was rubbish.

Othello just turned into a rant how Desdemona was a stupid person which I don't even believe myself...

I'm so angry at myself when getting in a state and letting the thing over power me. Now I'm looking at a D1 at best for the whole exam.

Which montague poems did you leave out? Locket and Cage?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Fiona G

Don't know how ye all write so much. Wrote about 4 pages per essay and 1 page on unseen poetry, hoping for quality over quantity :S

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Garainp

Jealousy and deceit aren't values though? Seemed like a shockingly tricky question. I did the women one but even that was annoying

A lot of people in my school were debating what constitutes a "value." I did value of reputation and marriage. Hopefully that's acceptable enough.

• Advertisement

wrote 7 pages on comparative
    wrote 5 pages for the question on emilia and desdemona
    wrote 2 pages on the unseen poetry
    wrote a page and a half on ENC who i didnt even study until 30 mins before exam, will be lucky to get 10/50 marks for it

You replied to me last night saying you did all the opposite poets to me and when I opened the paper today I actually thought of you.. :( End of the day, it's only 12.5 of the overall mark. How did the rest of your things go?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Everyone wrote so much! I wrote a mere 13 pages- now I feel silly. I didn't even get the unseen done. I was sooo tired.

Well, different people have different handwriting. And it's not about how much you write at all :)

If it makes you feel any better, I'm a really slow writer and wrote 7 and a half pages for Paper 2 in my LC and got a B2 in Paper 2 and B3 overall(I wrote 7 for Paper 1).

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭etherealfairy

Okay so I started with studied poetry. Was praying for Plath, Dickinson or Donne, in the hope that it wouldn't be predictable. Ended up answering on NiC, had her prepared well but pretty much blanked and forgot my quotes. Disagreed that her poetry was challenging, hope that's okay

Did the split LG question.. what a joke. For part (a) I did music and visual features. For part (b) I did imagery and split it into setting, characters, visual imagery and aural imagery. Don't even know what I said tbh.. also only had three quotes.. hoping they don't matter as much in the comparative

Othello... was actually happy with this

Unseen poem... only had 10 mins to do it so tbh barely read it. Still don't know what it's about but wrote a bit over a page (2nd question) so hopefully I'll get some marks.

Overall super disappointed :( Felt I could have done so much better. Horrible, horrible paper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

Laurenom wrote: »
    Which montague poems did you leave out? Locket and Cage?

I did Frost because the only 2 poems about empathy for others was The Wild Dog Rose, Like Dolems. The two poems about the parents maybe would have worked but it didn't cross my mind.
    My other two poems, The Same Gesture & All Legendary Obstacles, wouldn't have worked at all.

How many attempt marks would you get for a question? I attempted the 30 + 40 mark comparative question livery genre but I doubt it made much sense, maybe I might get 10/70 or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Laurenom

I did Frost because the only 2 poems about empathy for others was The Wild Dog Rose, Like Dolems. The two poems about the parents maybe would have worked but it didn't cross my mind.
    My other two poems, The Same Gesture & All Legendary Obstacles, wouldn't have worked at all.

How many attempt marks would you get for a question? I attempted the 30 + 40 mark comparative question livery genre but I doubt it made much sense, maybe I might get 10/70 or something.

I spoke about the parents and dolmens but I did killing the pig and welcoming party about world war so I hope I answered it correctly ;

I'd say you will be fine , everyone interprets the question differently so your efforts will be rewarded!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 DesuDesuChan

Nim wrote: »
    Well, different people have different handwriting. And it's not about how much you write at all :)

If it makes you feel any better, I'm a really slow writer and wrote 7 and a half pages for Paper 2 in my LC and got a B2 in Paper 2 and B3 overall(I wrote 7 for Paper 1).

Nim, you're the best!

k88 wrote: »
    You replied to me last night saying you did all the opposite poets to me and when I opened the paper today I actually thought of you.. :( End of the day, it's only 12.5 of the overall mark. How did the rest of your things go?

I started crying when i opened the paper, i never felt a feeling like it in my entire life

Everything else went beautiful and went perfect just so gutted , need at least a C1 or i can kiss my course good day

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ladderlad

A bollox i wrote about othello , his bad judge of character,easily deceived and his narrow vision on love ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

I really wrote nothing of worth on the comparative. I tried 3 questions before messing through the one I did with 30 minutes, so hopefully my examiner knows the pressure got to me and I'm not someone lazy who didn't bother with the comparative...

I started crying when i opened the paper, i never felt a feeling like it in my entire life

Everything else went beautiful and went perfect just so gutted , need at least a C1 or i can kiss my course good day

If everything else went beautiful and paper one went well, you will be fine! And if everything else went well then hopefully the examiner will have a little bit of sympathy for you

• Advertisement

What did people say was the central message of the unseen poem ?

I said that the central message was how something significant for example loss can change the way you think about a place and wrote an A4 page backing it up
    k88 wrote: »
    If everything else went beautiful and paper one went well, you will be fine! And if everything else went well then hopefully the examiner will have a little bit of sympathy for you

I really hope so, it looks like i ran out of time on the poetry, i wrote a page and a half and stopped in the middle of a poem id no clue about, she may think i just really messed up my timing

I have small writing and wrote a nice amount for the other questions

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

I said that the central message was how something significant for example loss can change the way you think about a place and wrote an A4 page backing it up

Talked about how it was accepting the fact that when our loved ones go the world doesn't stop turning just because they're no longer there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Chef Tony

Seems like a pretty accurate one you did. I just wrote about how its about memories of a person being linked to objects, then moving on after his death. His father running away in the end was the memory of his father finally free from the link with the hospital and could be in happier memories

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pa limerick

Was happy enough with the paper, thought the gatsby question was a bit weird aswell as the comparative, really messed that up but overall was happy with it good choice of poets!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭blobcat

Does length really matter that much? I only wrote about three and a half pages per question, if that. I think it's just that I have small writing but maybe I didn't say enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭BlueWolf16

Did it with about 15 minutes left, said that the central message was about moving on. Said that the poet hasn't totally moved on with his fathers death, and still holds sentimental value to the place where he died, and was sad that the hospital was taken down. Then the images about the personification of the crane and it's 'delicate' moving, and his father rising up from the bed, wishing that he was alive, I can sympathise as I too lost a family member..

just overall - bla bla bla bla.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 DT1

I only managed to get 3 poets done on Frost due to time.. I did an excellent essay on him but how many marks will I lose if I only did 3 poets?

Also, everyone's forgetting about the unseen poet!! How did everyone find that? I thought the questions were easy but the poem was difficult to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kat97

Did the Montague question, the 70m literary genre and the Othello question on women.

I have really mixed feelings about the Literary genre question because I talked about one technique ( characterisation ) and split it into symbolism/tension and suspense/setting and ending.. I showed how each of these contributed to characterisation and compared them with key moments .. I'm terrified I'm only going to get marks on one of my paragraphs though.

Also felt like my Othello essay had no structure at all. Found it really hard to think of quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭irishlad12345

Montague thank god you came up plus theme and issue happy out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Jamies15

Did a paragraph on the Desdemona and Emilia question about how we should feel sympathy for them given that anybody would fall into the same traps with somebody as shrewd as Iago around, and then went on to mainly talk about him for the rest of the paragraph.

Wonder how that will be received?

Advertisement