Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2015 LC English Paper 2 - Higher Level - The Aftermath***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭BlueWolf16

Can anyone please reply, i talked about imagery, symbolism, narrative type, dialogue and chronological/flashback in literary genre 2a i think im ****ed becaue it only asked one literary technique and i cant imagine how you can write just ONE TECHNIQUE FOR 70 MARKS?!?!

I did the same, seems many others did too.. I have no idea how it's possible to got for 2 pages each text on one topic, so maybe they'll be lenient..

Then again numbers I think are always just a guidance. If you won't get faulted for doing 3 images if they ask you for 2 only, then you shouldn't really be faulted for that question. Then again I could be very wrong, but until the marking schemes come out, that's what I'll be telling myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Dianabluex

Cheerios wrote: »
    I'm 99% sure it was the play. The word "Othello" was written in italics. If it was Othello the character, then Desdemona and Emilia in the first question would have been written in italics too.

Thank God

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Chef Tony

Can anyone please reply, i talked about imagery, symbolism, narrative type, dialogue and chronological/flashback in literary genre 2a i think im ****ed becaue it only asked one literary technique and i cant imagine how you can write just ONE TECHNIQUE FOR 70 MARKS?!?!

I wrote about symbolism as a technique, and it took me the full way. 9 Comparatives overall in the essay. My 3 texts had plenty of it in it so I was able to scrape by, very surprised that only 1 technique came up though. I had plenty on things such as the title, pacing, setting ect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Gryffindor

Worst case scenario I would imagine they will take your highest marked technique. Imagery and symbolism can be classified together as one technique so you'll definitely get some marks. And yes it was an absolutely awful question if you had only paragraphs on each prepared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

I'm absolutely devastated, paper 1 was bad but this was a disaster. I'd say if I got 10/70 in the comparative I'd be lucky, the whole thing confused me, I didn't have enough time either.

John montague question was awful, his main 2 poems I studied were about himself, so I had to do Frost which was rubbish.

Othello just turned into a rant how Desdemona was a stupid person which I don't even believe myself...

I'm so angry at myself when getting in a state and letting the thing over power me. Now I'm looking at a D1 at best for the whole exam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 JungleJuice

Kremin wrote: »
    50/400 is 1/8 which is 12.5%, not 15%

Thank the lord Frost came up, and it was a nice question too...

NEVER HAVE TO DO ENGLISH AGAIN!!!!

Well I was calculating at 60/400 which is 15% because the person asked for the single text which is 60 marks not 50

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

Another fairly nice paper. Othello question could have gone better but everything else went excellently. I think everyone in our room had a smile on their face when they saw the poets. Overall, I'm really happy with how English went :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭fin709

You did interpret it wrong. However you interpreted it the opposite of what it is. It said it was comforting and you said bleak, so I'd say you didn't lose much on purpose as it still would be relevant. Just you at the start you would be saying you disagreed when you agreed, I'd say you're fine.

The quote was misleading i think. I talked about how in darkling thrush and lyonnesse there is hope and joy in the poems and absent of any bleakness and that it defies the statement. And then for during wind and rain i said the bleakness contributes to the overall message of the poem which is "live in the moment" as the people in the poem misguidedly lived there lives as if theyd be there forever. And for channel firing i said he had to use bleakness to convey the point that mankind were partaking in pointless war

• Registered Users Posts: 27 DesuDesuChan

Did that go terribly for ANYONE else?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭BlueWolf16

By the looks of it my comparative was a tragedy, though others seemed alright. Hoping my P1 brings the grade up though, hoping for a B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

I focused fully on how Des wasn't weak- stood up to her father,eloped with a black older man, went to Cyprus, tried to help cassio even when Othello was shouting at her, said she wasn't weak when she obeyed him when he hit her its just that obedience was expected of women back then how she fought her innocence even as he strangled her then I said with emilia she was worldly, didn't realise the harm with the handkerchief, stood up for d and ultimately told the truth.. I got a good 5 pages on D and only 2 on Emilia will this bring me down because it was asked as an and Q so will the marks be split down the middle? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

So, women happened :( totally bul****ted five and a half pages. Pretty sure some quotes were made up. How important are quotes?

I'm absolutely devastated, paper 1 was bad but this was a disaster. I'd say if I got 10/70 in the comparative I'd be lucky, the whole thing confused me, I didn't have enough time either.

John montague question was awful, his main 2 poems I studied were about himself, so I had to do Frost which was rubbish.

Othello just turned into a rant how Desdemona was a stupid person which I don't even believe myself...

I'm so angry at myself when getting in a state and letting the thing over power me. Now I'm looking at a D1 at best for the whole exam.

What montague poems did you study??

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

OMGeary wrote: »
    So, women happened :( totally bul****ted five and a half pages. Pretty sure some quotes were made up. How important are quotes?

I'd say if they sound near enough they won't mind too much.

BlueWolf16 wrote: »
    By the looks of it my comparative was a tragedy, though others seemed alright. Hoping my P1 brings the grade up though, hoping for a B.

Hah, same, comparative was awful. And I didn't even do unseen.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Don't worry, you're not the only one. There are plenty here that didn't like the paper, particularly the comparative. Mixed reception overall so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 conall122

I never even used quotes. All the quotes i had revolved around iago and Othello. Was really hoping for a jealousy question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 headaches

Hey so i just did my paper two in english and im after realising i mixed up two poets! i did the frost question and did two if his poems in detail and mentioned a 3rd but im after putting in two hardy poems thinking they were Frosts! Any idea how many marks i will lose? HELP

• Registered Users Posts: 21 antifun

Did anyone else count how many pages they wrote at the end of the exam?

I've got 15.5 pages, but holy **** there was not enough time.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

antifun wrote: »

I think there was 2 pages between where I stopped and the end of the booklet. My last question on the unseen poetry was rushed, but I'd say I got half marks off it.

• Advertisement

antifun wrote: »

I filled the booklet and was gonna ask for more paper but it literally would have been for a bit more waffle on the unseen so I was like nah il leave it..my comparative was waffle

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

antifun wrote:

Got around twenty something, only had one page left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Just wondering, is this the first time they specified you to use three texts for the comparative? Normally they say at least two...

Anyway, I have mixed feelings. My poetry went great, Othello was average and my comparative wasn't that good. Still hoping for a C1/B3. Just have to think positively and all that I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jameshan

Learned four poets and none came up. Rambled an a4 page and a half on ENC. Devastated is not the word, probably wont get my course now

What did you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

fin709 wrote: »
    The quote was misleading i think. I talked about how in darkling thrush and lyonnesse there is hope and joy in the poems and absent of any bleakness and that it defies the statement. And then for during wind and rain i said the bleakness contributes to the overall message of the poem which is "live in the moment" as the people in the poem misguidedly lived there lives as if theyd be there forever. And for channel firing i said he had to use bleakness to convey the point that mankind were partaking in pointless war

I think it was a horrible quote myself. Yeah for the poems I did, there were none in which there are both comforts and bleak imagery. Was annoyed with that. Just disagreed with one part. Have no idea how good I did in it. The examiner might deem mine to be mainly irrelevant.

I mean, seriously! Comforting moments with bleak imagery?! What poet has those characteristics?

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

Wrote three and a half pages on the Emilia and Desdemona question :) Didn't answer it like a role of women question, I said:

Point One: Why we might think Desdemona is weak based on her core personality and why she isn't.

Point Two: Why we might think Desdemona is weak based on the plot of the play and why she isn't.

Point Three: Why would Emilia be perceived as weak and, yes, why she isn't.

Point Four: Why they are deserving of our sympathy.

Fantastic Frost question, the statement was very similar to what I said to my friend when he asked why I love Frost and so it was easy to answer.

Comparative was slightly cruddy, as it I just wrote the same essay I've written like three times before. The same one, and my grades have ranged from A to C. Oh well!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Bartekm1996

BlueWolf16 wrote: »
    I did the same, seems many others did too.. I have no idea how it's possible to got for 2 pages each text on one topic, so maybe they'll be lenient..

Then again numbers I think are always just a guidance. If you won't get faulted for doing 3 images if they ask you for 2 only, then you shouldn't really be faulted for that question. Then again I could be very wrong, but until the marking schemes come out, that's what I'll be telling myself.

Yeah I did the same question, I did Irony as I couldn't think of any others on the spot but I would do symbolism if I had to do it again. I got 4 full pages but not great quality just on irony, on Othello, Foster and The Kings Speech. They'll mark you on the best one if you did put more than one but again this was the first year they asked to do 3 texts and only one technique, which wasn't easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Garainp

The Othello question threw me a little. Managed about four pages writing about the value of reputation and marriage in the play. Think they were suitable values? Found it to be a strangely worded question.

Everyone wrote so much! I wrote a mere 13 pages- now I feel silly. I didn't even get the unseen done. I was sooo tired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭fin709

I think it was a horrible quote myself. Yeah for the poems I did, there were none in which there are both comforts and bleak imagery. Was annoyed with that. Just disagreed with one part. Have no idea how good I did in it. The examiner might deem mine to be mainly irrelevant.

I mean, seriously! Comforting moments with bleak imagery?! What poet has those characteristics?

I think they'll realise that the quote can be interpreted in many ways and thus be leniant. And hardy isn't a popular poet so that will work in our favour

Advertisement