Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cringy Irish events

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Strong sniff of post colonial mindset off this thread.
    Basically this is a "I don't like anything about Ireland that's different" thread.
    Ah threads for eternally embarrassed about Ireland shoe gazers

Ah give over will ya.

You're projecting all manner of your own insecurities there. If you'd a little more confidence in your own sense of Irishness, you'd more easily handle a little caustic humour.at the expense of the surreal, absurd & comically shoddy events that pepper Irish life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

major bill wrote: »
    Mass brawls on the pitch infront of kids referred to as a bit of Passion :o

The Maud Flanders style hysterical over-reaction by people every time there's a bit of pushing and shoving highlighted on the Sunday Game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

The Maud Flanders style hysterical over-reaction by people every time there's a bit of pushing and shoving highlighted on the Sunday Game.

People pay to watch a match they don't pay to watch a bunch of Gorillas hold a game up for 5 mins pushing, shoving and falling over each other

Peope can play it down all they want but it's scumbag behaviour, seems to be the only sport that accepts that kind of behaviour and only rightly so the GAA are starting to do something about it.

This ****e of GAA being some sort of tough sport is equally as cringe usually spouted by people with the same argument of My Dicks bigger than yours, fcuk off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

1. The Rose of Tralee
    2. St Patrick's Day
    3. Retards calling it 'Paddy's Day'
    4. The entire Midlands
    5. The border counties
    6. Pretty much all of Connaught

7. 'Ireland's Call'
    8. Enda Kenny
    9. Most of our local yocal gombeen politicians.
    10. The Guinness marketing department.
    11. Brendan O'Carroll
    12. Twink
    13. Gay Byrne
    14. Terry Wogan
    15. Travellers

HA Jaysis!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

That show on RTÉ where you had to vote for Ireland's greatest. Great idea, except you had to choose from Bono, Michael Collins, John Hume, James Connolly, and Mary Robinson.
    I wanted to vote for the guy from Dungarvan who split the atom and won the Nobel Prize in 1951 but I guess his achievements weren't as impressive as singing Sunday bloody sunday/getting shot dead while taking a ****/marching in civil rights parades/getting shot in a chair/waving hands about while talking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

1. The Rose of Tralee
    2. St Patrick's Day
    4. The entire Midlands
    5. The border counties
    7. 'Ireland's Call'
    8. Enda Kenny
    11. Brendan O'Carroll
    12. Twink
    13. Gay Byrne
    14. Terry Wogan
    15. Travellers
    Jaysus you are some gloom and doom merchant. Did you ever think of moving to a different country even though I doubt you'll find one that suits your needs. One thing I will agree though is that Terry Wogan is a gobsh1te.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    People believing in moving statues
    Of course statues move, how do you think they get from where they're made to where they are erected?

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

1. The Rose of Tralee
    2. St Patrick's Day
    4. The entire Midlands
    5. The border counties
    7. 'Ireland's Call'
    8. Enda Kenny
    11. Brendan O'Carroll
    12. Twink
    13. Gay Byrne
    14. Terry Wogan
    15. Travellers
    16. **** reading comprehension (nice events m8).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

The irish ginger festival in crosshaven

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

major bill wrote: »
    People pay to watch a match they don't pay to watch a bunch of Gorillas hold a game up for 5 mins pushing, shoving and falling over each other

Peope can play it down all they want but it's scumbag behaviour, seems to be the only sport that accepts that kind of behaviour and only rightly so the GAA are starting to do something about it.

This ****e of GAA being some sort of tough sport is equally as cringe usually spouted by people with the same argument of My Dicks bigger than yours, fcuk off!!

Precisely the type of over-reaction I was talking about. The GAA is not perfect but is rightly getting tougher over ACTUAL scumbag behaviour such as dangerous tackles/hits and abuse of referees and officials. You're basically trying to say that instances such as the handbags that took place in Ballybofey a few weeks ago is comparable, which is nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

You never hear any uk presenter asking if a foreign celeb likes Britain or if they tried British beer yet or if they have any British ancestors.

To be fair- they are not much better just a little more insidious. They do not want to know unless there is a British connection.

I am certain in the BBC there is a quota on the amount of time they must say the word 'British' in a given sentences. Defo must be said at least 5 times every 10 minutes. Look at how many programmes on UK TV have the word 'British' or adverts.

I also find it hilarious that some sections hate or simply refuse to acknowledge that some successful actor (for example) is Irish. Simply not mentioned. Recently I read about Saoirse Ronan in a review plus whole life story etc- not one single mention that she is Irish.- not one. She was referred to as 'New York born...'. just cldnt bring themselves to say it...:rolleyes:

Sure on Wikipedia, its just as bad- trying to claim everything.

ps I live in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Jaysus you are some gloom and doom merchant. Did you ever think of moving to a different country even though I doubt you'll find one that suits your needs. One thing I will agree though is that Terry Wogan is a gobsh1te.

I do live in England- I hate it even more over here. A right miserable bastard so I am- just ask the wife...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Sleveile

Any visiting dignitary and the obligatory pint of Guinness.

Does wonders for our reputation as a nation of drunks...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Any Wolfe Tones concert

• Registered Users Posts: 15,758 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

RobertKK wrote: »
    Celebrating failure like 1916 which was a defeat, and led to the partition of the island which led to thousands dead, both with a civil war and the troubles.
    Yet it will be commemorated as something that was good.

It is going to be very cringy, next Spring...

Commemoration is not intended to be a "celebration". Though I will agree that the govt's attempts at claiming 1916 and trying to be all things to all shades doesn't bode well. The govt sponsored publicity clip looked like a Failte Ireland ad without so much as a hint of bloodshed.

The Aussies and Kiwis commemorate Gallipoli, and that's hardly a feel-good success story? Likewise multiple disasterous battles are remembered. Sure the Allies won the WW1 but sowed the seeds for a bigger conflict and laid the foundations for the Middle Eastern sh*tstorm that plaques us to this day. By your logic, does that mean we shouldn't remember them?

I do live in England- I hate it even more over here. A right miserable bastard so I am- just ask the wife...:D
    I see now why you mentioned the UK's adopted son if you should come across him give him a slap upside of the head for me :)

Advertisement