Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cringy Irish events

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Surprised that Mary from Dungloe did not get a mention yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Basically this is a "I don't like anything about Ireland that's different" thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

iDave wrote: »
    Any Munster match in Thomand Park especially All Blacks 2008.

I know.Since when was Limerick the capital of Munster.The cheek of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

Whisky Mac wrote: »
    Surprised that Mary from Dungloe did not get a mention yet!

Can't believe I didn't here about this before I was to old and too married to enter :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

communion and confirmation parties

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

mg1982 wrote: »
    At ireland internationals in Soccer and Rugby. The president has to shake hands with both teams. Such a waste of time and unnecessary. Get on with the game.
    The games kick off at a set time. It doesn't really matter what they do before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

People gathering to look at a tree stump in Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Pat Kenny presenting the Rose of Tralee on St Patrick's Day with musical entertainment from Jedward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

That's the spirit, just gloss over the truth, why let the facts get in the way of a bit of Paddywhackery and selective historical remembrance. ;)

Now you're getting it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Negative_G

The Leixlip 'festival'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Things in the media where people feel ashamed because Ireland fighting for it's independence or any other aspect of Ireland history.It happened no point discussing it and whinging about it anymore as you can't change the past.

Can't think of any other country in the world where people are embarassed by attempts to gain independence for their country.

People think we should have fought the Brit's on their own terms rather than being sneaky . If I was fighting someone much bigger than me on the street I'd go straight for the balls as would anybody with any sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

All the self congratulatory sh1te that has gone on in the country in the last couple of weeks over the yes to gay marriage vote.

Good that it passed but please stop clapping ourselves on the back about it, the country hasn't found a cure for cancer or brought about world peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^

yes, the we're so trendy vibe is nauseating

we're still light years behind countries like Holland and Sweden

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Possibly controversial but, Riverdance. We are really flogging a dead horse with it now. It is embarrassing that our greatest welcome to dignitaries is "let us show you how our cultural creativity peaked in 1994 - this was the bomb back then!".
    We had Riverdance for the Obama kids, for the golfers last week for the Irish Open, we have dredged it dry by now. Surely someone has done something worthwhile since that can be put on a stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Nearly everything about joe.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

Oh god, EVERYTHING about her.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Watching people from Ireland continuously put the place down on online comment sections - despite them living in one of the finest and most egalitarian Christian/Social Democracies in the World. Then getting hugely defensive and puke-inducingly nationalistic about some perceived slight thrown out by Boris Johnson/Australia/Enda Kenny/Lonely old British Man living in Ulster/RTE.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

That's the spirit, just gloss over the truth, why let the facts get in the way of a bit of Paddywhackery and selective historical remembrance. ;)

Nobody's glossing over anything. You're right, we lost the 1916 rising. But we got most of our independance as a result. Its YOU who's doing the Paddywhackery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Having the Angelus on tv/radio

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Bubbaclaus wrote: »

You smell that? The winds of sh*t are blowing, and they could escalate into a sh*tstorm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

A few years ago there was a medieval battle scene enacted here in the South East. The 'actors' were armed with swords, axes,and shields, and dressed in chain-mail, leggings and helmets.

And they mostly wore Addidas runners :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

AgileMyth wrote: »
    The games kick off at a set time. It doesn't really matter what they do before that.

I just see it as unnecessary. Let the president come to the games by all means. But theres no need for the meet and greet with the players for every game. Dont see any other nations doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

mg1982 wrote: »
    I just see it as unnecessary. Let the president come to the games by all means. But theres no need for the meet and greet with the players for every game. Dont see any other nations doing it.

Princess Anne in Scotland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Bubbaclaus wrote: »

It's far from uniquely Irish.

his parading of Amy and Sadie in the post-match celebrations was cringe-worthy and stupid.

Indeed. How dare a playing member of the touring party indulge in a little celebration with his family who followed him to Australia, watching him play in two of those crucial tests.

I'll tell you what's fucking cringe-worthy and stupid, many Irish peoples need to constantly criticise some of their best and brightest for the most trivial of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭DJ90

Castletown donkey Derby

DJ90 wrote: »
    Castletown donkey Derby

Care to elaborate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

keith16 wrote: »
    Indeed. How dare a playing member of the touring party indulge in a little celebration with his family who followed him to Australia, watching him play in two of those crucial tests.

I'll tell you what's fucking cringe-worthy and stupid, many Irish peoples need to constantly criticise some of their best and brightest for the most trivial of reasons.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

Irish people trying to create a tv series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭deadybai

When soccer fans call themselves Mancs and Scousers despite being from Ireland.

Advertisement