Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cringy Irish events

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Self Aid in the 80's.

Anything related to Irish Garth Brooks fans, past, present and future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Strong sniff of post colonial mindset off this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Tribunals and inquiries into everything with zero useful findings and resolving nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Riverdance. Whenever that fiasco comes to town it's like we've just resigned ourselves to the leprechaun stereotype and cashed in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

This was posted in another thread, heavens above! Poor Gaybo announcing it. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Tedfest. I can only imagine the cringeathon with all the "ah shur aren't we just mad craic altogether" types.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Ole ole ole ole ole!

Wasn't it even sung at Eurovision one year by the crowd :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

That's what happens at Christmas. We eat sh1t and browse pure tat whilst cursing the buggy-wielders for delaying everyone...

Don't think so buddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

osarusan wrote: »
    Arthur's Day is pretty stupid really.

To osarusan...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

The IFTA's

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Linda Martin destroying Get Lucky.
    Still can't listen to the original..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

When any English team come over here and play an Irish side. I recall Manchester United playing a League of Ireland XI to open the Aviva and the amount of people openly booing players from their own country would just boggle your mind if you were not from these shores. Sad. Same happened when St Pat's played Celtic in Europe. Majority of those supporting 'their' team have probably never seen them in the flesh since.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭enricoh

Think the worst is not strictly Irish! Orange marches on 12th of July and some protest over not traipsing through some 99% catholic area.

Also some Irish comedians on UK telly mentioning that they,re Irish every 20 seconds - so what, say something funny !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Culchie festival, national ploughing championship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Shep_Dog

On a summer's evening of the Celtic Tiger....Massed choirs in Lansdowne road getting drenched in gale-driven rain while trying to do the 1812, the loud bits of Carmina Burana and some popular Verdi pieces. They could'nt hear the music and occasional hail stopped them seeing the conductor...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Mel Gibson at the IFTA's in 2008. I felt genuinely sorry for the mega rich guy

Ripped from the Film Forum:
    Going to the IFTAs that time. Back in his pomp Mel wouldn't have come anywhere near. To see him suited and booted on the red carpet, smiling awkwardly with such household names as Bella from Fair City, made me feel genuinely sorry for him. It was like watching someone like Del Piero, or some other faded superstar, picking up a paycheck in a grandfather league, about as far away from the big leagues as you could possibly get. Sure, there's a smile on the face of whoever it may be holding up the jersey at the press conference on their first day, or the poor misfortunate once mega movie God now reduced to answering questions from Xpose, in the pissing rain. There's a smile alright, but the eyes say -How Did I End Up Here?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Lisdoonvarna Matchmaking Festival

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Anytime a decent bit of Sun comes out (limited to an event)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,027 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Not such much an event but a moment, but the quite frankly absurd reaction by every sports fan in the country to BOD being dropped from the panel for the crucial third lions Test last time around. Despite him being clearly past his prime. The abuse Gatland got for the decision left me grinning ear to ear when the Lions ended up hammering Australia (despite not following rugby at all). The over-reaction to BOD's exclusion was a massive dis-service to the Irish players who did get a game, and his parading of Amy and Sadie in the post-match celebrations was cringe-worthy and stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

RobertKK wrote: »
    Celebrating failure like 1916 which was a defeat, and led to the partition of the island which led to thousands dead, both with a civil war and the troubles.
    Yet it will be commemorated as something that was good.

It is going to be very cringy, next Spring...

Absolutely. The rest of the world, including tens of thousands of Irish men, were off fighting the Germans but the 'glorious' leaders of the revolution were buying arms from and doing deals with the Germans. Yey, what a glorious thing to celebrate. It's a shameful episode in our history, not something to celebrate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Any open air gig. The compulsion to go even if you dont listen to the artist that much. Swedish House Mafia in Phoenix Park debacle the ultimate example.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

RobertKK and Pumpkinseeds should have their citizenship revoked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

The Gaeltacht

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Our Tribunals. Run by the guilty and designed to deflect from the truth which would implicate them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

newmug wrote: »
    RobertKK and Pumpkinseeds should have their citizenship revoked.

That's the spirit, just gloss over the truth, why let the facts get in the way of a bit of Paddywhackery and selective historical remembrance. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Any Munster match in Thomand Park especially All Blacks 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    The Gaeltacht

They speak a different language to me, therefore I cringe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Absolutely. The rest of the world, including tens of thousands of Irish men, were off fighting the Germans but the 'glorious' leaders of the revolution were buying arms from and doing deals with the Germans. Yey, what a glorious thing to celebrate. It's a shameful episode in our history, not something to celebrate.

Hang on, were the Germans fighting the Germans?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

One thing I love is watching the Six Nations each year. I know I am going against the thread but decided I would put down what I like instead of what I don't.

Advertisement