Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the largest animal you can moraly kill without retribution

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Hold yer whisht lads, yous wouldn't know what arbitrary was if it bit yous on the ass.
    I'll arbitrary you in the face in a minute...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Good job this was a crap enough thread to start with, because its fcuking destroyed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Hoop66

What if an animal was disrespecting you? Could you kill it then?

My cat is on thin ice...

To answer the OP's question, I'm gonna go with blue whale. Hard to kill, but you won't get bigger than that! And no retribution because they're hard to find, so no one will see you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

This like the South Park

"It's coming right at us approach"

Or like killing a cow for food is fine but killing an endangered Rhino for its horn to give you a super penis is wrong?

I think the important question is what type of super powers would my penis have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I guess one of the largest beasts that humans killed back before the Pyramids were built would have been the Woolly Mammoth which was half Elephant and half dinosaur.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    I'll arbitrary you in the face in a minute...

Tis far from arbitrary you were raised Tea 1000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Arbitrarily speaking, it's not the mass of the animal it's the sentience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I guess one of the largest beasts that humans killed back before the Pyramids were built would have been the Woolly Mammoth which was half Elephant and half dinosaur.

I take it you're taking the proverbial.:p Wooly mammoths were the same size as an elephant, still existed when the pyramids were being built and had no dinosaur in them at all at all. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

Abattoirily speaking, all animals die

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Well put especially this.
    I too hunt however I can't stand lads who just shoot during the hunting season for no good reason...as in the "shoot everything that moves".

Then you ask the question "Well what are you going to do with that duck?"...
    Answer = "Ah sure I will just chuck it in the bin".

If you're going to shoot the duck then gut it, pluck it and put it in the oven.

I like to think im a hunter gatherer

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Brancott wrote: »
    We all kill insects daily

No we don't :confused:

I thinks it's nasty and pathetic when I see someone crush a spider. Why on Earth would you do that?

I've spent ten minutes before trying to shoo a fly out the window.

Tis far from arbitrary you were raised Tea 1000
    This arbitrary contest is over, give this man the trophy!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭Brancott

This raises are pertinent question, would it be OK to kill a T-Rex, they can't be sentient, not with those ****ty little arms & all.

Zillah wrote: »

I thinks it's nasty and pathetic when I see someone crush a spider. Why on Earth would you do that?

My front number plate looks like really effective fly paper in the summer time!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    This arbitrary contest is over, give this man the trophy!

Oh trophies is it? There's no arbitrary recession on your podium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Kangaroo clubbing is quite popular in Australia, bad way to go....off your tits on mmda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Grayson wrote: »
    I think the important question is what type of super powers would my penis have?

Either super stamina, multiple orgasms or extreme jizz. Like a lottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Only for it to fly into a spiders web moments later. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Brancott wrote: »
    This raises are pertinent question, would it be OK to kill a T-Rex, they can't be sentient, not with those ****ty little arms & all.

Definitely not. just get a dog collar and take him for a run in the park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Either super stamina, multiple orgasms or extreme jizz. Like a lottery.

Is a little cape allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Wooly mammoths ... still existed when the pyramids were being built

Yep, they even used them as beasts of burden to haul around the big blocks they used to build the pyramids.
    and had no dinosaur in them at all at all.

Unlike a modern Elephant a Mammoth laid large eggs, rather than giving birth to live young, which hints as to its dinosaur characteristics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

What an arbitrary question.

I don't think it's size that's a factor for a lot of people, rather sentience.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

entirely dependent on where you are I reckon. Possums are endangered in Aus but a major pest in NZ. No one has any problem with poisoning, trapping or shooting them in NZ but do the same in Aus and it's a serious issue and rightly so.

Any animal introduced to a place it's not supposed to be is fair game IMO (livestock aside as someone owns them)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Do you also try shoo the bacteria off your kitchen table or just kill them?:D

I, like you, operate a strict catch and release policy for spiders - but mainly because they help me kill flies. I very much dislike flies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

To say that it is either size or sentience is arbitrary.

I'd put it down to categories, if I had to think about it thoroughly:
    Status - Is it a pest? This can vary between a farm, where a fox is a serious pest because it can get at your chickens, and the town, where the worst it's likely to do is knock over your bins (or sometimes eat the cat, admittedly). A fox is quite a large animal. Deer can damage crops, so it may be quite allowable for a farmer to shoot a deer, but not appropriate for someone in a town to kill a deer that just happens to be wandering nearby.

- Rarity - Golden eagles can be a pest to farmers, but it's considered very bad form (and illegal!) to kill a golden eagle, or other big birds of prey, because they are protected species and/or rare.

- Pets - Any animals that we generally regard as pets, including hamsters, gerbils, etc., are not fair game, because thy have a certain status to us as a group. Also, you are not likely to find hamsters and gerbils in the wild, and killing someone's pet is generally regarded as impolite to say the least.

Threat - Is the animal an immediate or likely threat to you? A rabid pet dog is put down for the sake of a community, but a pet dog that's no threat isn't. A fox, again, CAN be a threat - there's been some cases (I think two in 2013,2014) of a fox getting into a house and savaging a baby. A dog that's attacked people is also put down. In places like the US, wildcats or wolves(?) can be taken down. Disease-spreading animals, such as rats, are also considered a threat.

Nuisance - Stray cats and dogs are routinely hunted and killed (or, nowadays, spayed and released depending on where you are.) Mice and rats are both in there too.

Culture - Different cultures regard different animals..er..differently. In Iran, it's become punishable by lashing to own a dog. Stray dogs are hunted and killed. That would not be appropriate in Ireland.

Bloodsports - a subsection of culture, really. Whatever one's opinion on fox-hunting or dog-baiting, both were perfectly acceptable. Dog-baiting isn't anymore, but fox-hunting is still perfectly legal in Ireland, under certain rules, etc.

- Going abroad to hunt is one of those grey areas, as in, it may be considered unpopular by a broad sector of the population, but not actually illegal. Once you're there, again, it will be hedged by rules. It is forbidden to kill elephants and rhinos nowadays because they are endangered. Giraffes, well, it would depend on the country you're going to and their rules, but if you post a picture of your kill on Facebook, be prepared for a backlash!

Population control - My partner's just pointed out to me that deer in Ireland are killable under certain conditions based on population control. Deer in Ireland have no natural predators anymore, so it's down to humans to cull their numbers to some extent. Again though, this is hedged by certain rules, and, although I can't be sure, probably requires a licence.

Method - We generally balk at killing in ways that cause unneccessary suffering, bloodsports being the anomaly in that. Drowning kittens on a farm is considered a sad necessity, but catching cats and drowning them would be considered cruel and almost certainly get you arrested.

So, it's not down to size, it's down to a variety of factors, some of which have crept up over time and are rather contradictory to some other factors (fox-hunting). But, in answer to your basic question, the largest mammal you could probably get away with killing before you are being eyeballed by at least some of the population is probably a rat.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I'd say nuke 'em from orbit. It's the only way to be sure. That's what I do, anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Wang King wrote: »
    Kangaroo clubbing is quite popular in Australia, bad way to go....off your tits on mmda
    I once went to a Club 18 - 30 seals holiday. Great fun and you get a really soft tea towel at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Yep, they even used them as beasts of burden to haul around the big blocks they used to build the pyramids.

Unlike a modern Elephant a Mammoth laid large eggs, rather than giving birth to live young, which hints as to its dinosaur characteristics.
    This is one of those posts that you'd think is a piss-take, then you remember it's on After Hours...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

me personally? my morals would be intact no matter what animal i killed. once its legal im game!
    Crossbow is illegal in ireland.

not entirely correct. crossbows are not illegal but are restricted and require a licence. hunting with them is however illegal, unfortunately :(

Advertisement