Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The night before the Leaving Cert

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

And after you do it, you'll have The Dream forever more!!!

/evil laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

If only I could go back and repeat my entire secondary school stint. What a disaster it was for me, little do I know how important it is now in the bigger picture!

Best of luck tomorrow folks, enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭sunbeam

And after you do it, you'll have the The Dream forever more!!!

/evil laugh

Yeah for me it's the Irish paper and I can't understand any of the essay titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Emsloe

I didn't do my LC but went to college as a mature student. As least when you're older you have more perspective I guess on how important exams are/aren't in terms of the grand scheme of things. Can't imagine what it's like as a youngster feeling like your whole life hinges on the next couple of weeks. Best of luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Sat my Leaving Cert 32 years ago. It was the sunniest two weeks in a long time. We had to do our exams in the woodwork room. It was full of massive windows. The heat was stifling. There were local gurriers who came up to the school to cause trouble. They were shouting in the window and one of the examiners had to give chase. I remember it well

• Advertisement

sunbeam wrote: »
    Yeah for me it's the Irish paper and I can't understand any of the essay titles.
    Irish and maths for me - combined with a masters in English lit.
    I keep wondering in this dream why I'm doing my leaving again when I got into college via it first time around, but still feel obliged to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Mr_Maestro

I don't remember my leaving cert. It was only five years ago but I just don't remember it at all. I asked my dad how bad was I during it and he said I was a nervous mess and wouldn't eat or talk for the two weeks. Must have repressed those memories.

If anyone is nervous about the exams, just remember to do your best and realise that it's not the be all and end all. I only realised what I wanted to do last October and I'm going 23 in August. There's time to do anything in this world.

Best of luck to ye all! Sure your whole life is ahead of you !!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

I did mine in 2001. I remember the night before feeling a mixture of nerves and resignation.

It's heart-warming to think there are probably thousands of teenagers across the country s**ting themselves as I write this :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Mechanical Clocktail

I didn't care, exams are no bother. I would trade interviews and presentations for exams any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

And after you do it, you'll have The Dream forever more!!!

/evil laugh

For me it's having crammed the previous night for the French exam only to discover its an Irish exam as I start scanning the paper.
    Bloody hell it gets me every time.

And for some reason in the dream I realise I have been through Uni on the back of doing LC the first time but for some reason still feel obliged to do it a second time.

• Advertisement

And for some reason in the dream I realise I have been through Uni on the back of doing LC the first time but for some reason still feel obliged to do it a second time.
    Ditto

I ain't sleeping well tonight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AulBiddy

I sit it tomorrow, at the moment I've a bursting headache between stress, mother nature and an argument I had earlier :( not a good combo... But what can ya do, only way I can fail is if I don't write anything on the paper :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Scary to think it was nearly 20 years ago. I was a nervous wreck on the night before and the following morn. It was the worst period for anxiety for me. Once I got through Maths (which I needed to do well in), the nerves settled a good bit.

I was so envious of others not facing into it as I sat there in the class room, 10 minutes before the off on the 1st morning. I could see people outside walking around on their way to work etc. Heres me in this feckin room with half as many desks as normal with a big duurty green metal box containing the exam papers in plastic bags at the top. Dreadfest.

Once the exam starts, the stress goes and you get down to business.

AulBiddy wrote: »
    I sit it tomorrow, at the moment I've a bursting headache between stress, mother nature and an argument I had earlier :( not a good combo... But what can ya do, only way I can fail is if I don't write anything on the paper :)

Try and get a good nights sleep. Don't be worrying, I'm sure ya have all the work done at this stage so just a matter of getting it down on paper.
    Once ya get started tomorrow it will pass by in no time.

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Copa Mundial

Good luck tomorrow :)

Do your best, it's all you can do. Last year someone else did it, next year someone else will. And the wheel goes 'round :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

People will say dont worry. Unfortunately for me, this was an exercise in utter futility. But the 24hrs before the start is the worst imho and the opinions of alot of others I talked too.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

They'll be fine. Unless some gom opens up English paper 2 by mistake and they've to come in on a Saturday like I did.

Bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Rory Gallagher

I begin the examination tomorrow.
    I rot away on the inside as I wait.I wait....... I wait.

Not one iota of information has been studied by myself since..... ever.
    I feel so awful I could vomit and the world would go on and on and on and on.I have blood on my tracks.

I am a well learned individual, just all my learning came from books that I read outside that pit.
    I've listened to It's Alright Ma(I'm Only Bleeding) by Bob Dylan FIVE ****ING TIMES TODAY!.
    It all makes sense now.

I begin the examination tomorrow.
    I rot away on the inside as I wait.I wait....... I wait.

Not one iota of information has been studied by myself since..... ever.
    I feel so awful I could vomit and the world would go on and on and on and on.I have blood on my tracks.

I am a well learned individual, just all my learning came from books that I read outside that pit.
    I've listened to It's Alright Ma(I'm Only Bleeding) by Bob Dylan FIVE ****ING TIMES TODAY!.
    It all makes sense now.

Get to bed and do your best to rest. Worrying and feeling sick will do nothing. You'll be finished it soon. Paper 1 is something you can't wholly prepare for. Keep the chin up and you'll get through it. You seem erudite enough, you have no reason to worry. Darkest hour is always before the dawn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

It was just a year ago, so yes.

I wasn't really stressed, more glad to just finally be reaching the end. I watched one of the very first same sex marriage debates coming up to the recent referendum that night too.

The year since was great!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Rory Gallagher

Reiver wrote: »
    Get to bed and do your best to rest. Worrying and feeling sick will do nothing. You'll be finished it soon. Paper 1 is something you can't wholly prepare for. Keep the chin up and you'll get through it. You seem erudite enough, you have no reason to worry. Darkest hour is always before the dawn.

Thank you :)

I can't help but be miserable at this point in my life though.
    I try to convince myself that the Leaving Certificate is little more than a glorified memory test.
    But I'm here stone faced and it seems like its the focal point of everything.

I cannot resist it, It seems like I've hit a dead end and there is no going back.
    I readily admit that my mental state as of now is fragile. My mind is racing back and forth a narrow corridor .... or so it feels.

The only thing I'm good for is writing.

I try to convince myself that the Leaving Certificate is little more than a glorified memory test.

I cannot resist it, It seems like I've hit a dead end and there is no going back.
    I readily admit that my mental state as of now is fragile. My mind is racing back and forth a narrow corridor .... or so it feels.

Understandably so. But don't let yourself wallow in self-pity. And though its scant consolation, remember there is some poor bastard somewhere in a worse situ than you.

It's not the end all and be all. Right now worrying about the future is a problem for the future. You just got to get through the next couple of week while staying somewhat sane. Give it your best shot and keep focused on what's immediately important.

And right now, that's sleep :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Don't think twice, it's all right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Something will inevitably have sunk in over the last two years. Combine that with some good writing and a lot of bluffing/bullshitting, and you'll be grand.

Go to bed though! You don't want to be relying on energy drinks to get you through the day...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Irish and maths for me - combined with a masters in English lit.
    I keep wondering in this dream why I'm doing my leaving again when I got into college via it first time around, but still feel obliged to do it.

You're sitting your Leaving again? I reseat it again in 1996 prior to going UL. Had enough points from 1990, along with my mature student interview to get back into college.

YFlyer wrote: »
    You're sitting your Leaving again?
    Hell no, just in my recurring dream!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

AulBiddy wrote: »
    I read this and I can't help but go the poor thing and awh...if that's not too patronizing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

GOOD LUCK TO ALL SITTING THE LEAVING THIS YEAR!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Did mine in 2002. Damn World Cup...

Advertisement