Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The night before the Leaving Cert

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Paul.k.b.90

Was a stupidly warm sunny day..spent all day in the skate park..went around my mates house and played call of duty till the small hours of the morning got home and got bollocking from my mam...ahhh the good old days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 pewpew16

Bricking it already and mine isn't even this year but next !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

pewpew16 wrote: »
    Bricking it already and mine isn't even this year but next !
    You poor thing. Don't take it too much to heart!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

Chucken wrote: »
    I did my leaving cert when I was 30. Sat in for 2 years with 16/17 year olds.
    My 2 children were in 5th class at the time and who was I to tell them to keep going at school if I hadn't? (That's the way I looked at it)
    It was a brilliant experience but the worry 6 years later when my own 2 were doing it was 100 times worse than any worry I had for myself when I did it.

We all survived it anyway :D
    Inspirational! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Inspirational! :)

:o Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

I did my Leaving Cert in 1984. I did very well. Got the course I wanted. I found university easy enough.

One of my sisters got Ds in most subjects. She was so upset the day she got her results. I remember driving her home and all the crying. Poor thing

was devastated. She had worked so hard.

Fast forward 30 years my sister now earns at least twice my salary. My salary is an ok one.

The Leaving doesn't define you as a person or your future potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,926 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I think the junior cert should count towards points for college. It's a waste of 3 years

I done 5 ordinary subjects and 2 foundation subjects in the leaving. Got an a1 in history. Got enough points for my course but didn't get it cause I done foundation maths. It was until I went to college Years after that I found our I was dislexyic. If they found out in secondary god knows where I could of ended up( probley not working in a part time job at 25)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭The Dogs Bollix

For my English exam, I narrowed the studying to Shakespeare's poems because it was between himself and WB Yeats. Shakespeare never came up.

If it wasn't for my English teacher who gave us an essay on WB Yeats about two weeks before the English exam I would have been royally screwed. I just re-wrote my English essay, what I remembered from it.

Went into my Junior Cert exam happy. I was after hearing s club 7, bring it all back in 1999. It really motivated me ... Don't stop, bring it all back, never give up, hold your head high and reach the top, let the world see what you've got, bring it all back... After that, I fceked all the study. Of course I can reach the top... I didn't get straight A's but who used their junior cert results.

Good luck to all all tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Good luck to all, and I see the sun has came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Don't remember the Leaving Cert as much as the Group Cert back in the dark ages of the late 80s

There were two science courses and for the Group Cert students could do both. We started a day earlier than everyone else with Science E in the afternoon of the Tuesday. Came in in the morning and half the class went down the town. A few of us hung around and somebody produced a set of past exam papers. None of us had seen them before as they were difficult to come by for that science syllabus. It was at that point that we came to the horrible realisation that our dozy science teacher had neglected to teach us half the bloody course. Much panic and cramming ensued. Thankfully all the crammed bits actually came up.

We also had to come back in at the end of the month for an oral exam on two projects for the same course. I did one on astronomy and had a very confused examiner ask me about my star sign....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I think the junior cert should count towards points for college. It's a waste of 3 years

I done 5 ordinary subjects and 2 foundation subjects in the leaving. Got an a1 in history. Got enough points for my course but didn't get it cause I done foundation maths. It was until I went to college Years after that I found our I was dislexyic. If they found out in secondary god knows where I could of ended up( probley not working in a part time job at 25)

You have a point. Why study for 3 years, take a state exam and what do you have

at the end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭lazza14

kfallon wrote: »
    There was defo a few nerves! Was really looking forward to Euro '96 which started 4 days later tho :o

Same year, I clearly remember watching This Boys Life on RTE the night before and not giving a f*ck ... I failed that one and repeated in '97 ... funny thing is I only remember my final exam from ´97...

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

I planned one essay for english paper 1 the next day, the essay fit the title perfectly. :D
    I learned my home ec predictions, most of which came up!
    I had a few vodkas, slept 12 hours and got 2 A1s the next day. Who said cramming and predictions don't work?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

kfallon wrote: »
    There was defo a few nerves! Was really looking forward to Euro '96 which started 4 days later tho :o

Did the Leaving in 1990. There was talks or wishes that the dates be changed to accommodate Italian 90.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

I wasn't too bothered if truth be told. I think i needed something like 300 or 320 and knew i had done plenty to get it so i spent the night before trying to get my end away with a young 1 i had been “shifting" and cited my stress over the exams as a reason why she should. Unfortunately but not unsurprisingly it didn't work :‘(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Chucken wrote: »
    I did my leaving cert when I was 30. Sat in for 2 years with 16/17 year olds.
    My 2 children were in 5th class at the time and who was I to tell them to keep going at school if I hadn't? (That's the way I looked at it)
    It was a brilliant experience but the worry 6 years later when my own 2 were doing it was 100 times worse than any worry I had for myself when I did it.

We all survived it anyway :D

That is seriously impressive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mocha please!

I can't remember being nervous. Just spent the last couple of days cramming. Got up at 4am the morning of each exam for more cramming. It worked for me! Did well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭sunbeam

YFlyer wrote: »
    Did the Leaving in 1990. There was talks or wishes that the dates be changed to accommodate Italian 90.

So did I. One of my English lecturers in college also corrected the NUI Matric exam and read us out several apologies students had written on their exam scripts for leaving early to watch what I think was the Ireland-Romania match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

I realised i didn't own a pencil case, then the panic started or a calculator for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Aineoil wrote: »
    I did my Leaving Cert in 1984. I did very well. Got the course I wanted. I found university easy enough.

One of my sisters got Ds in most subjects. She was so upset the day she got her results. I remember driving her home and all the crying. Poor thing

was devastated. She had worked so hard.

Fast forward 30 years my sister now earns at least twice my salary. My salary is an ok one.

The Leaving doesn't define you as a person or your future potential.
    Aye, but you're still better off having it than not having it, even if it's just a pass leaving cert. It's such an expectation now that's pretty much taken as a given you'll have it.
    And even though you don't need it to do a trade, you might want to change career in ten years' time. And it's great to be able to get in to college just for learning in and of itself (you can do a career-focused course later on).

You're right though, the pressure on kids as if the leaving cert you get will determine your entire life thereafter, and the way it's as if you'll end up homeless or something without studying for several hours every night (these are teenage kids ffs) is nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

Aye, but you're still better off having it than not having it, even if it's just a pass leaving cert. It's such an expectation now that's pretty much taken as a given you'll have it.

Did mine in 2007, didn't do a bloody tap I was lucky and happened to be naturally good at Languages so ended up with 420 points which was sufficient to get me to college but not into any of the courses I wanted.

There is ways around everything though and the points you get will not determine what you do in the end, if you want something badly enough and haven't worked for/ or wasn't capable of getting it on day one there is ways around it.

It only cost me one extra year in college to get into the course I had initially wanted and I now have a Masters degree in that exact field equivalent to what I wanted day one.

Don't stress it is my advice to the LC's

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Katgurl wrote: »
    That is seriously impressive

Thank you :) I was very proud of myself but I also saw how difficult it is for the young people. I toddled off for my degree when my pair were in 2nd year. We spent a few years doing our homework together :D

I suppose what I'm trying to point out is, tomorrow is the start of a journey for thousands of young people. I'd hope they realise that. It's not the end :)

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭chocksaway

I had a nose bleed in my german aural. That was good craic! Didnt know what to do. Ended up trying to stop the bleeding with one hand while writing answers with the other. Was given a few mins at the end to copy my answers into a new booklet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

All I remember is being extremely nervous about the French aural. Nailed it though, probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Remember ****ting a brick at the realisation of just how ****ed I was the next morning

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Chocolate

Found 2 bricks under my bed, courtesy of my brother.
    They were accompanied by a note stating, "In memory of the night you s**t bricks."

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Don't remember much about it except for looking at a whole load of English notes and deciding that I only had time to cover two, so went for Keats and Kinsella. Both came up in the exam.

The essay I chose was 'The Joys of Fiction'. I remember being delighted to see it, and quoted/mentioned Cheers (the sitcom), Centennial (the novel), Reservoir Dogs (the film) among others.

That, and a spectacular failure in technical Graphics. My only aim was to get out of the school without my teacher seeing me. So I left soon after the minimum time you have to stay, and sneaked around a corridor, and there he was, waiting for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

sunbeam wrote: »
    So did I. One of my English lecturers in college also corrected the NUI Matric exam and read us out several apologies students had written on their exam scripts for leaving early to watch what I think was the Ireland-Romania match.

Got to see that match. Watching Hagi was more nerve wrecking than the Leaving Cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

I don't really remember anything. Although, I do remember freaking out because some clown had opened English paper 2 and then we had to sit the exam on the Saturday with a different paper. I had predicted everything that was on the original paper. :( Raaaaging.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

30 years ago since I was in the same boat.

Hated school. Hated exams even more!

Wouldn't go back for diamonds.

Advertisement