Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alton Towers rollercoaster crash

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

K4t wrote: »
    His accusations are directed mostly towards those who scorned him and others for making jokes, not specifically at those showing sympathy for the victims of the crash. And he's right. Irrespective of whether the jokes are in good or bad taste, there is something more sinister about attempting to dictate to others how they should respond to such events, and chastising those who attempt to add some humour rather than conform to normal customs. You'd swear this thread was a condolences book that will be given to the victim's families judging by some replies.

Ffs some people don't think it's right to make jokes about recently crippled people. To call them sinister is going way over the top. Now we live in a world where, in general free speech is a right we all have. People can make jokes about people who've just been crippled, people who've just died. I've done it myself when I was younger. But most human beings with a decent eq can see why you shouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

have you got a source for your claims? believe it or not some of us can actually think for ourselves without society "telling" us what to think

No man, we're all fake didn't you get the memo? You've got to be indifferent to the situation unless it directly affects you, unless of course you want to be dictated by society.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Mod

Ah lads, can we stick to the topic and give up on the petty arguments?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Feck. But there's be no joy in it knowing what had happened - and let's face it, with that kind of track record of repeated & unresolved failures would you feel fully comfortable riding the rides ? (!!!)

I would not be comfortable .. And can't get a refund now.. Been to Florida parks and wanted to see Alton. Can't believe there has been so many mistakes made on smiler

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Feck. But there's be no joy in it knowing what had happened - and let's face it, with that kind of track record of repeated & unresolved failures would you feel fully comfortable riding the rides ? (!!!)

I gave up on irish rides (!) after crawling under one to get my wallet that had fallen out as I was whipped around & saw about 20 poorly balanced wedges of wood holding one of the legs of it up

It's worth saying that (from what I've heard so far!), there's not been an indecent amount of issues. Alton Park's been open 35 years and this is by far the worst thing to happen. There's absolutely no comparison with Irish parks - hell, I grew up in Tramore by the Tramore amusement park, and all the locals knew that the place was a deathtrap! Although kids also knew which Waltzer was broken and thus spun the fastest, because kids are stupid (No. 3, green, for the record!) :D

AT do seem to take their safety pretty seriously, particularly in regards to closing a ride if something's not right. This was a tragedy, and seems to have been a combination of human error and mechanical fault. I wouldn't avoid the place entirely, although I admit I'd be nervy about being in the front seat of any roller-coaster without a crash cage. I wouldn't be surprised if front seat crash cages become a necessity after this.

Edit: If you can't get a refund, the Water Park is still open, at least. I'd say everything will be a bit muted and it won't be the day you were hoping for, but the Water Park might still be worth doing if you're stuck with the trip anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Shouldn't have been able to happen. Coasters are designed to automatically stop a train if it detects that another train is in the next block.

another two hours added to drive to get to thorpe park,any been ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

Everything is going to be triple checked to ensure there isn't further incidents, it'll be safer now than it probably ever has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Irelandcool

I was hoping to go to alton towers or thorpe park later this summer for the first time and I am pretty shocked at what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

Everybody seems to think this incident makes the park less appealing to visit... but what exactly were you going there for?

If you want safe fun - play chess! Never heard of anyone losing their legs playing chess!? ;)

Has anyone considered that this might actually make Alton Towers MORE appealing to some thrill seekers?

I'd jump on a rollercoaster right now if I could. The knowledge of this accident fresh in my mind, would make it that bit more exciting! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mocha please!

I'd jump on a rollercoaster right now if I could. The knowledge of this accident fresh in my mind, would make it that bit more exciting! :)

Jesus that's messed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I was hoping to go to alton towers or thorpe park later this summer for the first time and I am pretty shocked at what happened.

I wouldn't let this put you off.

It would be like saying that you wouldn't use an aeroplane again after recent plane crashes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

Jesus that's messed up.

Jumping on a rollercoaster to get a buzz from the threat of danger, but then being shocked when that threat of danger turns to reality - now that's messed up!

If your mind thought that threat of danger wasn't real, then you wouldn't feel any buzz or excitement from it.

So if you think about it, the excitement you feel is your brain acknowledging that a threat exists and it's real.

Yet another part of our brain becomes outraged when we are presented with the reality of that danger.

Almost like we want to have our cake and eat it too.

What we're actually looking for, is REAL DANGER - but in a completely SAFE way! lol

It truly is mind blowing the way some people's minds operate! :pac:

The danger in your mind isn't that your going to crash..or your carts gonna fall off the rail..or your gonna fall out of the the cart!

Its the thrill of the speed..the g force in the corners..the upside down..the not knowing which way your veering next...if there's a chance I'm not getting off the damm coaster I'm certainly not getting on .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

Yet you suggested going to Thorpe Park instead.

What difference does it make where the rollercoaster is? There is always going to be a incredibly low chance of an accident.

I'm sure Alton Towers are doing absolutely everything in their power to ensure everything runs smoothly in the wake of last weeks accident.

it makes a difference because its 90 mins further away, my point was i dont go on them thinking there is a chance im gonna crash or fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Irelandcool

that interview by Kay Buckley is so bad it reaches fox news level of stupidity. The interview she gave to the merlin guy after accident is seriously just sensationalist journalism. https://www.facebook.com/skynews/videos/1106609352686994/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,408 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

another two hours added to drive to get to thorpe park,any been ?

Rides closed there too.

These parks are all run by the Merlin group and they have closed rides at Thorpe park (saw) and Chessington (Dragons fury and Rattlesnake).

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jun/05/rollercoaster-thorpe-park-closed-forseeable-future-safety-precaution

I would still go to Alton towers, plenty of other rides there (oblivion is my fav)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

that interview by Kay Buckley is so bad it reaches fox news level of stupidity. The interview she gave to the merlin guy after accident is seriously just sensationalist journalism. https://www.facebook.com/skynews/videos/1106609352686994/

I watched two minutes of that and I wanted to punch her

I would still go to Alton towers, plenty of other rides there (oblivion is my fav)

Its closed though.. Flights in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,408 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Its closed though.. Flights in the morning.

Ah apologies i read just the ride was closed not the whole park, pretty much sucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

1 in a well stupid odds of happening. More chance of being eaten by a shark. But don't let that stop people over reacting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Jesus Christ, I actually had to pause that 5mins in and take a break because it was so infuriating.

I don't know if she is just a nasty individual in real life or if she mistakes unnecessary aggression for "hard-hitting" but she should have been fired back when she interviewed the wife of the Suffolk Strangler and asked her whether she thought that she could have stopped her husband from killing all those women by having sex with him more often. She's the Nancy Grace of British news.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

If you want safe fun - play chess! Never heard of anyone losing their legs playing chess!? ;)

This guy lost something even worse than his legs. http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/chess-murder-victims-lung-was-removed-and-has-not-been-located-29910709.html

Advertisement