Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alton Towers rollercoaster crash

Options
  • 02-06-2015 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭

Just saw that there's been a serious accident on a rollercoaster at Alton Towers.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-32980354

Four seriously injured. Scary stuff. Hope all involved recover OK.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Looks nasty all right, but no deaths reported so far.
    Some poor kids will be traumatised having seen that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Horrible. I read on the BBC a witness statement saying that had decided not to take photos out of respect.

Fair play. Decent people still exist. Hopefully no one is too seriously injured but it sounds grave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

I just saw this all those young people. Those rides are a magnet for kids so so sad. Thank god some people are not showing graphic images. Your worst nightmare I hope fairs etc buck up their security checks.You would want to be careful wouldn't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Guess they should change their name to faulty towers.

There must have been a catastrophic error for carriages to crash. The sheer amount of safety precautions (and regular safety tests) that most rollercoasters (especially in the bigger theme parks) that exist is crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

makes me think twice about getting on the tayto park wooden one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Been on that rollercoaster many times. it is great fun (except for the horrible theme tune that plays on repeat)

Speedy recovery to all the victims. Good news that there were no fatalities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

*prebooks tickets on tayto park rollercoaster.........

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

fryup wrote: »
    makes me think twice about getting on the tayto park wooden one
    Tayto park is using the latest advances in potato technology to ensure this kind of thing doesn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

ScumLord wrote: »
    Tayto park is using the latest advances in potato technology to ensure this kind of thing doesn't happen.

Quit your waffling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

ScumLord wrote: »
    I hope they're using Australian potatoes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

There shouldn't be fun parks, or amusement parks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mocha please!

There shouldn't be fun parks, or amusement parks.

Ironic username ...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I hope none of them had high Blood Pressure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

BBC have now mentioned "life changing" injuries, and there are unconfirmed reports of multiple amputations. Though unconfirmed, having seen how much the front of the carriage was pushed back into those in the front row, I could easily see this being true.

Horrible to imagine what went through their heads as they saw the were approaching the stationary carriage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

They said the 4 in the front have life changing leg injuries :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

Rollercoaster of emotions after something like this! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

4 teenagers suffer severe injuries to their legs and we get lads making wise cracks.

Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

BBC have now mentioned "life changing" injuries, and there are unconfirmed reports of multiple amputations. Though unconfirmed, having seen how much the front of the carriage was pushed back into those in the front row, I could easily see this being true.

Horrible to imagine what went through their heads as they saw the were approaching the stationary carriage.

There was a comment on facebook of a girl who witnessed the crash saying that 2 people lost there legs. Horriffic stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

4 teenagers suffer severe injuries to their legs and we get lads making wise cracks.

Well done.

Cry me a river DIRK!

Did you lose your legs too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Cry me a river DIRK!

Did you lose your legs too?

Doubt he did, but I feel you have lost your empathy somewhere along the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Doubt he did, but I feel you have lost your empathy somewhere along the line.

It's a roller coaster of emotions in here at the moment, we've just got to take the ups and the downs.

I always enjoy a good joke but laughing and making fun of some poor people who have been seriously injured isn't funny. It just isn't funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Been there 3 times myself, last about 4 years ago now.

I love the buzz and adrenaline rush you get on rollascoasters etc, but this makes me feel sad and put question in back your mind.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Jesus lads, can we keep it respectful please? There's 4 people in hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

TheTorment wrote: »
    I always enjoy a good joke but laughing and making fun of some poor people who have been seriously injured isn't funny. It just isn't funny.

You don't have a leg to stand on.
    It just isn't funny to you.
    Humour is subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    You don't have a leg to stand on.
    It just isn't funny to you.
    Humour is subjective.

Yeah, humour's subjective and it's being pointed out to you that deliberate "LOL LEGS!" comments regarding four young people suffering horrendous crush injuries and (possibly) having to have their legs amputated ....aren't exactly funny to oh, a surprising amount of people with empathy.

TheTorment wrote: »
    They are never funny. It's not just on occasions like this. Let's bury and ignore them.

It would have been worse had the other carriage not been empty.

• Advertisement

It sort of reminds me of the stardust disaster. I hope the cause of the accident is discovered. Not that it is much comfort now. The Ride had a HISTORY OF PROBLEMS.
    History of problems

Riders were also left stranded in the air when the ride ground to a halt at the top of a near vertical section 14 months ago

It's tragic my own body feels vulnerable just reading it. Poor kids.

The ride had been delayed a while just a while previously then turned back on.

I wonder that qualifications the maintenance crew would have etc?

Advertisement