Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alton Towers rollercoaster crash

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Coincidentally CSI Cyber on RTE 2 tonight started with a rollercoaster accident.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

It would have been worse had the other carriage not been empty.

True, lot of cases of whiplash and more I'd say, at least the carriage hitting into them would've been able to brace for the impact but the thing was probably going too fast for anyone in the parked carriage to react quick enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

I normally feel pretty legless getting off a rollercoaster, this brings it to the next level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

They are never funny. It's not just on occasions like this. Let's bury and ignore them.

You know what's worse...? Fakeness!

People who pretend they give a sh*t about random people who they'll prob never think about again in weeks time!

The satirical jokes in this thread actually come from a more honest place than that fake concern!

Of course most of you don't even realise that it's fake. You fully believe you're experiencing genuine concern - but you're not.

The people telling what you see as crass jokes, are actually just not buying into that bs fraudulent empathy!

Or maybe we're just uncaring monsters! (Whatever helps you feel better about your Fakeness) ;)

People who pretend they give a sh*t about random people who they'll prob never think about again in weeks time!

The satirical jokes in this thread actually come from a more honest place than that fake concern!

Of course most of you don't even realise that it's fake. You fully believe you're experiencing genuine concern - but you're not.

The people telling what you see as crass jokes, are actually just not buying into that bs fraudulent empathy!

Or maybe we're just uncaring monsters! (Whatever helps you feel better about your Fakeness) ;)

Absolutely spot on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Aren't you the progressive thinker. They're stupid puns, not satirical jokes.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »

Yes. But their aim is to satirise the situation.

To poke fun at something is to create satire. (or satirise) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Can't understand why people like rollercoasters. There is so much that can go wrong, so many moving parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

TheTorment wrote: »
    I always enjoy a good joke but laughing and making fun of some poor people who have been seriously injured isn't funny. It just isn't funny.
    Then why was I laughing? And just to stress, I wasn't laughing at the injury victims, or the event itself, but at the jokes. Not the nicest humour still, but less sinister than those who would scorn others for doing so imo.
    K-9 wrote: »
    And stupid puns are sometimes funnier than satirical jokes.

Can't understand why people like rollercoasters. There is so much that can go wrong, so many moving parts.

Could say the same thing about driving a car or flying a plane.

People are sheep, they're giving their well wishes to these people despite deep down, not giving a ****. The same with any natural disasters, the marriage referendum etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

Alot of moving parts while riding too.

The same with any natural disasters, the marriage referendum etc.
    Those kind of comments belong in the Vatican.

K4t wrote: »
    Those kind of comments belong in the Vatican.

The absolute scroungers in Fb trying to scab a few likes by 'giving their support'. Vermin

The only danger when riding is pregnancy or falling out of the bed!
    Could say the same thing about driving a car or flying a plane.

People are sheep, they're giving their well wishes to these people despite deep down, not giving a ****. The same with any natural disasters, the marriage referendum etc.
    Cars generally don't leave the ground. Commercial planes with passengers don't do loop the loops. Plus they have drivers/pilots. Rollercoasters are automated.

Going however many feet into the air and getting thrown around by an automated machine? I'll take my chances with the car or plane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Part of the thrill though. I love 'em and wouldn't hesitate to get on one in the morning.

Pretty sad seeing all the injured are in their teens.

The only danger when riding is pregnancy or falling out of the bed!

Cars generally don't leave the ground. Commercial planes with passengers don't do loop the loops. Plus they have drivers/pilots. Rollercoasters are automated.

Going however many feet into the air and getting thrown around by an automated machine? I'll take my chances with the car or plane.

They're designed to do loop the loops, a car and a plane are not. It's like comparing a hand to a foot. Accidents on roller coasters are rare and there's a reason for this...

They're designed to do loop the loops, a car and a plane are not. It's like comparing a hand to a foot. Accidents on roller coasters are rare and there's a reason for this...
    You made the original reference to cars and planes I was only adding to that.
    They have practical uses, this is people putting themselves in danger for a bit of fun.
    c_man wrote: »
    Part of the thrill though. I love 'em and wouldn't hesitate to get on one in the morning.

Pretty sad seeing all the injured are in their teens.
    That's fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

I believe the general thinking in comedy is that nothing is above being made fun of, it's the timing of the joke that's important. This is clearly not the time. Terrible to hear, went in this myself a few years ago and big rollercoaster fanatic so it's scary to hear.

You made the original reference to cars and planes I was only adding to that.
    They have practical uses, this is people putting themselves in danger for a bit of fun.

That's fair enough.

Danger? FFS. You can find danger in anything. Going to the shop? Might get knocked down. Going for a swim? Might get eaten by a shark. Rollercoasters are very safe. Incidents are very rare. You're not putting yourself in any heightened danger by getting in one... Media blowing everything out of proportion and influencing the weak minded as usual.

The only reason a roller coaster is fun or appealing is because there is an element of danger.

A very small risk that something like this might happen. Probably 1/1000 odds or something crazy like that.

Take that small % chance of serious injury away and it loses it's appeal.

But when this happens everyone blames the creators. Like nobody needed or asked for roller coasters! Now roller coasters are evil contraptions. lol

Someone will get sued for a huge quantity of money. Even though everyone knows that there is a small % risk of this happening!

I would go on a roller coaster right now if I could. Not because I'm super brave, but because I know the odds of that occurring again are VERY small.

• Advertisement

I believe the general thinking in comedy is that nothing is above being made fun of, it's the timing of the joke that's important. This is clearly not the time. Terrible to hear, went in this myself a few years ago and big rollercoaster fanatic so it's scary to hear.

They're topical jokes. The time for a topical joke is when the subject is topical.

Danger? FFS. You can find danger in anything. Going to the shop? Might get knocked down. Going for a swim? Might get eaten by a shark. Rollercoasters are very safe. Incidents are very rare. You're not putting yourself in any heightened danger by getting in one... Media blowing everything out of proportion and influencing the weak minded as usual.
    Don't think you're likely to get eaten by a shark near Ireland. I've always felt this way about rollercoasters, it's why I don't go on them. If feeling superior to people you know nothing about makes you happy though, I won't stop you.
    The only reason a roller coaster is fun or appealing is because there is an element of danger.

A very small risk that something like this might happen. Probably 1/1000 odds or something crazy like that.

Take that small % chance of serious injury away and it loses it's appeal.

But when this happens everyone blames the creators. Like nobody needed or asked for roller coasters! Now roller coasters are evil contraptions. lol

Someone will get sued for a huge quantity of money. Even though everyone knows that there is a small % risk of this happening!

I would go on a roller coaster right now if I could. Not because I'm super brave, but because I know the odds of that occurring again are VERY small.
    Yeah I'd say whoever is in charge of their accounts must be very nervous right now. If even one of those people decides to take them to court it will put a huge dent in their coffers. Media non stop coverage won't help either.

The absolute scroungers in Fb trying to scab a few likes by 'giving their support'. Vermin
    I honestly can't see how supporting equality is ever a negative or bad thing, even if it isn't done for the most noble of reasons, or because you don't like some of the people endorsing it.

They're topical jokes. The time for a topical joke is when the subject is topical.

Amazing what people will do to get some pathetic internet recognition. Would you say it if you thought one of the victims family member was reading?

Amazing what people will do to get some pathetic internet recognition. Would you say it if you thought one of the victims family member was reading?

I don't crave internet recognition. Your point on the timing of the joke was ludicrous. I'm hardly going to make a joke a week later when people have completely forgotten about the whole event.

K4t wrote: »
    I honestly can't see how supporting equality is ever a negative or bad thing, even if it isn't done for the most noble of reasons, or because you don't like some of the people endorsing it.

I'm all for equality. It's the attention seekers that never make up their own minds or formulate their own opinions that follow the crowd and then seek some form if recognition that get me. These are the same people that will have completely forgotten about the whole referendum in a matter of days and move onto something else.

I don't crave internet recognition. Your point on the timing of the joke was ludicrous. I'm hardly going to make a joke a week later when people have completely forgotten about the whole event.

Why did you make the joke then? For recognition from all your internet pals so they can see how hilarious you are. If you can tell me another reason you posted it I'm all ears. You also ignored my question so I'll say it again, would you say the joke if you thought family members of the victims were reading?

I'm all for equality. It's the attention seekers that never make up their own minds or formulate their own opinions that follow the crowd and then seek some form if recognition that get me . These are the same people that will have completely forgotten about the whole referendum in a matter of days and move onto something else.

Do you not see the irony here?

Why did you make the joke then? For recognition from all your internet pals so they can see how hilarious you are. If you can tell me another reason you posted it I'm all ears. You also ignored my question so I'll say it again, would you say the joke if you thought family members of the victims were reading?

They may well be reading for all I know ;) Would you talk behind a friends back if you knew they'd hear about it? No, but I bet you still do it anyway. I'm sure if I cared about recognition I'd be thanks whoring, which I very clearly am not.

• Advertisement

Plus, you bolding parts of my comments. Making a joke about something doesn't mean pretending to care. It also doesn't mean craving attention, it was simply an offhand remark. :)

Advertisement