Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 Years a Slave; A Different Perspective

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

kidneyfan wrote: »
    I didn't know Cyril Falls was a Unionist. The book is horrifying.
    Did the O'Sullivan Bere collude with Murad Reis in the attack on Baltimore?

I presume so. He fought with the Ulster division in WW1 and also wrote a book on the formation of Northern Ireland.

I believe it was a commercial venture and unconnected with Gaelic independence at this time. I thought O'Sullivan Beare was further west on the Beara peninsula?

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

Reiver wrote: »
    No one said that. He's merely pointing out at that time that the population of Baltimore were English planters. They were foreign colonists just like their predecessors in the 16th century had been.

They weren't planters. The 107 taken were English fishermen who had permission to use the harbour from the local chieftain at the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

They weren't planters. The 107 taken were English fishermen who had permission to use the harbour from the local chieftain at the time.

That statement is demonstrably false. It is simply not accurate. Perhaps you meant to say that among those taken were English fishermen?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

Also I've just remembered that Mourad Reis was dutch!
    William F wrote: »
    Today’s general consensus would have you believe that the slave trade was a struggle between black Africans and white Europeans. While this is true for a certain period of time in our most recent history, earlier historical evidence suggests that it was the Africans who were the perpetrators of the slave trade and it were white Europeans, and in this instance the Irish, its sole victims.

I have always believed that there was more to the story and have blatantly refused to succumb to the general guilt complex that shrouds White-Black relations in the 20th and 21st Centuries. It was here I discovered that on June 20th, 1631 a band of African pirates/terrorists invaded the West Cork village of Baltimore and took with them over a hundred men, women and children to be sold into the slave and sex trades.

Although this is only one instance of many, it demonstrates the general scope and wide spread terrorism the African slave trade had on white Europeans. What is even more frightening about the African slave trade is that this event happened on our very shores, on the outskirts of Europe and far removed from any ‘African’ continent.

It is estimated that the African slave trade claimed the lives of over 1 million white Europeans and its scope reached as far as Iceland, a country whose people are historically related to the Irish.

The movie ‘12 years a slave’ would have you believe that White Europeans and Americans have a case to answer for while at the same time ignoring the victims of Black on White slavery, particularly those of Baltimore, West Cork. There is no denying that the slave trade existed but to hold white people accountable is to deny Africa’s responsibility in the rape and pillaging of Europe and some parts of Ireland.

Perhaps one can draw the conclusion that the Atlantic Slave Trade, the one familiar in everyone’s mind, was not developed out of profit and lust for power, but was in fact a result of Karma and providence. Sometimes grave injustice can appear to be so but with closer examination can appear to be just.

On June 20th next, spare a thought for those who lost their lives at Baltimore, West Cork.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

And what about one July 19th when Galway was invaded by Indians?
    No, that's when it was liberated from Indians.

• Advertisement
Advertisement