Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12 Years a Slave; A Different Perspective

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

Sorry to break it to you, There are no "Pure Gael" Unless you think like that lad in Eastern Europe.... On a Side not Did Ireland no Make a Saint out of a slave from Wales ?

Exactly. Bloody celts, romans and greeks had been doing it for yonks before the moors thought they'd try it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭RecordStraight

By the way, a sconce at the OP's history suggests that he is a troll or a headcase. I'll let you guys decide which.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

While "12 years" is a good book and does point out the slavery of a free man in the US of the time I think it's good to know that while slavery in US were abolished 150 years ago it still wasn't abolished in some places until much later.

Wikipedia
    1960: Niger abolishes slavery (though it was not made illegal until 2003).
    1962: Saudi Arabia abolishes slavery.
    1962: Yemen abolishes slavery.
    1964: The United Arab Emirates abolishes slavery.
    1970: Oman abolishes slavery.
    1981: Mauritania abolishes slavery.
    2003: Niger makes slavery a crime.
    2007: Mauritania makes slavery a crime.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

biko wrote: »
    While "12 years" is a good book and does point out the slavery of a free man in the US of the time I think it's good to know that while slavery in US were abolished 150 years ago it still wasn't abolished in some places until much later.

Wikipedia
    1960: Niger abolishes slavery (though it was not made illegal until 2003).
    1962: Saudi Arabia abolishes slavery.
    1962: Yemen abolishes slavery.
    1964: The United Arab Emirates abolishes slavery.
    1970: Oman abolishes slavery.
    1981: Mauritania abolishes slavery.
    2003: Niger makes slavery a crime.
    2007: Mauritania makes slavery a crime.
    And you've sill got the Kafala system in places like the UAE and Qatar which allows for people to be treated like slaves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

And what about one July 19th when Galway was invaded by Indians?

...I thought it was an onslaught by arty types and crustos?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

It's also worth noting that the Irish were pretty good at nicking slaves from Wales too.

Look, slavery has existed for millennia. Why do we focus on the most recent large-scale cases? Because time has healed over long-term, inter-generational scars caused by the older cases. I would be rather surprised if anyone nowadays is directly affected by the older cases whereas there are still direct effects of the more recent bouts of Black slavery in the US still going today. That's why it's still important to learn from. Well, that, and it's a historical lesson to learn from. There's still small and isolated cases of white-on-white/other slavery in places like the UK, Ireland, US, etc., that you occasionally hear on the news. Fortunately, that is not state-sanctioned and so once it does come out, the slavers get landed on like a tonne of bricks. It's still shocking and awful, and should get more attention, but at least it's not large-scale and condoned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

William F wrote: »
    Today’s general consensus would have you believe that the slave trade was a struggle between black Africans and white Europeans. While this is true for a certain period of time in our most recent history, earlier historical evidence suggests that it was the Africans who were the perpetrators of the slave trade and it were white Europeans, and in this instance the Irish, its sole victims.

Those abducted from Baltimore were not Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ciara_birch

Every country has and unfortunately it still exists today

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

More like 12 years of stares. Characters staring into the distance for several minutes at a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

kidneyfan wrote: »

Are you denying that Irish people have British ancestry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Must have been McNulty's day off when the african hoards rolled in to baltimore raping and pillaging. He'd have cut them off before the **** got too serious.

William F wrote: »
    Are you denying that Irish people have British ancestry?

No one said that. He's merely pointing out at that time that the population of Baltimore were English planters. They were foreign colonists just like their predecessors in the 16th century had been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

kidneyfan wrote: »

Jaysus,

Didn't realize the Corkies were going on with that separate republic bollocks even back in the 1600s.

anncoates wrote: »
    Jaysus,

Didn't realize the Corkies were going on with that separate republic bollocks even back in the 1600s.

Because they weren't Corkies. The Munster planters were primarily English and Welsh, arriving to settle estates. Plantations in Ireland continued well into the 17th century.

Reiver wrote: »
    Because they weren't Corkies. The Munster planters were primarily English and Welsh, arriving to settle estates. Plantations in Ireland continued well into the 17th century.

Thanks for putting me straight there.

The mortification I feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

More like 12 years of stares. Characters staring into the distance for several minutes at a time.

12 years of The Angelus?

Thanks for putting me straight there.

The mortification I feel.

No worries.

I recommend Elizabeth's Irish Wars by Cyril Falls. It's a good work that will explain the reasons behind the plantations of the 17th century, in particular that of Tyrone's rebellion.

No worries.

I recommend Elizabeth's Irish Wars by Cyril Falls. It's a good work that will explain the reasons behind the plantations of the 17th century, in particular that of Tyrone's rebellion.

Hunting it sown as we speak.

Hunting it sown as we speak.

Can't recommend it enough. The author was a Dubliner but a committed Unionist it seems. He is remarkably even-handed though.

Also it's unlikely the native lords would have been advocating for republicanism considering the Gaelic aristocracy was still somewhat intact at this time. That belief would come after the time of the United Irishmen.

Can't recommend it enough. The author was a Dubliner but a committed Unionist it seems. He is remarkably even-handed though.

Also it's unlikely the native lords would have been advocating for republicanism considering the Gaelic aristocracy was still somewhat intact at this time. That belief would come after the time of the United Irishmen.

Gent.

Cheers.

• Advertisement

Gent.

Cheers.

He did appear to be but I doubt his adversaries on the Western Front would have felt such reciprocal feelings.

Glad to be of help. Let me know if you need any other book recommendations. There is a book about this incident called The Stolen Village that you might find informative.

He did appear to be but I doubt his adversaries on the Western Front would have felt such reciprocal feelings.

Glad to be of help. Let me know if you need any other book recommendations. There is a book about this incident called The Stolen Village that you might find informative.

Neither of us are really going to stop this are we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Have you got 'Fly Fishing' by JR Hartley?

Piece of neo-imperialist cant, if you ask me.

My book collection is limited and I never was a fan of fishing.

Neither of us are really going to stop this are we?

I realise now the above couple of posts may have been sarcastic and a tad tongue in cheek.

My apologies, I've never been that good at reading it. Same thing happens on my Twitter and Myspace!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Nodin wrote: »
    12 years of The Angelus?

That would have been better.

My book collection is limited and I never was a fan of fishing.

Clear metaphor for the wanton annexation of Irish culture vis a vis the metaphorical fecundity of the trout-laden waterway and the arrant totalitarian rod of Albion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

I didn't know Cyril Falls was a Unionist. The book is horrifying.
    Did the O'Sullivan Bere collude with Murad Reis in the attack on Baltimore?

• Advertisement

My apologies, I've never been that good at reading it. Same thing happens on my Twitter and Myspace!

Now I dunno know whether to apologize or concede that, damn, you're good. :pac:

Sorry, back on topic.

Advertisement