Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good job USA: First arrest has been made for "manspreading"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Did you try telling them to give you more room?
    You can clearly see that Candie wrote "I asked him to let me have my own seat space".
    That's her position (which she possibly didn't intend - it's annoying but happening when a person falls asleep is not the same as a deliberate decision to do so, male or female) not her "growing boobs".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Until they start arresting fat people for being fat - this is ridiculous. My manspreading will never take up as much space as fat man

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

uch wrote: »
    So what happens if a Girl has Big Boobs and they are spreading?

I'll inspect them!
    (I hope no one else has made this joke but I'm not reading the rest of the thread to see)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I would mention that a man who has his legs spread (or a woman, if it comes to that) can quite easily close his/her legs enough that they aren't in someone else's seat. A fat person can't just suck in their extra layers to remove it from someone else's room, so while it's really bloody annoying to be squished into the window by undulating rolls, they can't, at that exact moment, do much about it, whereas a leg-spreader can.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Candie wrote: »
    On one hand it's pretty stupid.

On the other, I've been in a situation where I've been squished up against a window because the guy beside me feels entitled to ALL the space and doesn't mind pushing me with his knees, and I would have been delighted to have that bad mannered space invader (I squish you, because I CAN) arrested, convicted, and shot before a firing squad with myself giving the order when to fire.

I was in a supermarket one time and this woman was in front of me getting her groceries scanned. She was standing there blankly gazing down at the items as they were being checked out one by one. When the checkout girl finished she hit the register button and the total came up. What did our intrepid woman do? She took her bag off her fucking shoulder, unzipped it and started rooting around inside it looking for her damn purse as if she was startled she had to fucking pay. She then commenced rooting around in various purse compartments seeking out shrapnel instead of just handing over the damn 50 and taking the change.

Myself and 3 other exasperated men dragged her out by the wheelie bins, tied her to a dumpster and shot her.

• Advertisement

Egginacup wrote: »
    I was in a supermarket one time and this woman was in front of me getting her groceries scanned. She was standing there blankly gazing down at the items as they were being checked out one by one. When the checkout girl finished she hit the register button and the total came up. What did our intrepid woman do? She took her bag off her fucking shoulder, unzipped it and started rooting around inside it looking for her damn purse as if she was startled she had to fucking pay. She then commenced rooting around in various purse compartments seeking out shrapnel instead of just handing over the damn 50 and taking the change.

Myself and 3 other exasperated men dragged her out by the wheelie bins, tied her to a dumpster and shot her.

Yes, that delay of moments was infinitely worse than having some stranger pin you with his knees for hours. And hours. And hours.

Shoot 'em all, I say.

UCDVet wrote: »
    Until they start arresting fat people for being fat - this is ridiculous. My manspreading will never take up as much space as fat man

It didn't happen. April fools joke.

Just in case anyone else is missing it, it didn't happen.

So to be clear, no one was arrested, it didn't happen.

And no one was arrested.

No one.

Because it didn't happen.

Hopefully that'll clear up the matter.

But it probably won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

Public transport?

Oh the humanity!

Must try it sonetime to appreciate how the other half 99% live.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

uch wrote: »
    So what happens if a Girl has Big Boobs and they are spreading?

How would one "spread" their boobs?

folamh wrote: »
    How would one "spread" their boobs?

It's a very widespread problem that untold numbers face every day.

Space invading boobs.

Of course it's a real thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

UCDVet wrote: »

The idea is that manspreading is deliberately taking up space when you might have made the choice not to out of consideration for others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Freakin stupid-ass americans criminalising spreading your legs on the subway. Stupid-ass judge for not dismissing case because it was the middle of the night and they were not affecting any other passengers. Also stupid judge for not warning the cops that anymore such crap appearing before her would result in the cop bringing the case getting 90 days in the slammer!

only in muricea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Men don't just do this to women.. they do this while seated next to other men also.

I despise the inconsiderate, self absorbed, narcissistic, arrogant fcuktards.

Security on the Luas should be able to handcuff their knees together whenever they witness it, forcing them to have put their hands up and ask for permission to get off at their chosen stop.

Men don't just do this to women.. they do this while seated next to other men also.

I despise the inconsiderate, self absorbed, narcissistic, arrogant fcuktards.

Security on the Luas should be able to handcuff their knees together whenever they witness it, forcing them to have put their hands up and ask for permission to get off at their chosen stop.

Not a fan of man spreading, but can we also ban the fatties that have asses that spread over two seats.

Of course. Some people are just inconsiderate irrespective of who they are or who is affected. And the vast majority of men don't do "manspreading".

And the vast majority of men don't do "manspreading".

..of course.
    Geniass wrote: »
    Not a fan of man spreading, but can we also ban the fatties that have asses that spread over two seats.

No, as fat people can't instantly make themselves thin the way people who sit with their legs can instantly just fcuking close them.

No, as fat people can't instantly make themselves thin the way people who sit with their legs can instantly just fcuking close them.

They can walk, cycle or jog to where they need to go until they only take up one seat.

They can walk, cycle or jog to where they need to go until they only take up one seat.

You must have missed the emboldened:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

As far as I can make out it is a real story, albeit exaggerated a tad. They were ticketed for taking up excessive space on a subway train, which is being cracked down along with various other misdemeanours, and were subsequently arrested for outstanding warrants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

It didn't even happen? Haha, and the longing for it to to be true so women can be bitched about (and appearance insulted) via dubious comparisons to being squashed in your seat, like putting on make-up/hairbrushing/putting a bag on a seat/"boobs growing". :pac:

Eh... once?

Are you for real? Putting on make up or brushing hair involves elbowing the person next to you repeatedly... Nothing to do with misogyny as much as you'd like it to be.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

'MURICA!

Ranchu wrote: »
    Are you for real? Putting on make up or brushing hair involves elbowing the person next to you repeatedly... Nothing to do with misogyny as much as you'd like it to be.
    It's only you who mentioned misogyny. The attempts at a gender war is all I was commenting on. Person who happens to be a man does something inconsiderate so "Ooh, what about when women do something inconsiderate" - what about it? It doesn't change or mitigate the inconsiderate behaviour that the focus of the thread is on. Nor does mention of a man being inconsiderate mean a lack of acknowledgement that women can be inconsiderate too. Some people are just selfish and inconsiderate, whatever genitals they have.

Putting on make-up and brushing hair doesn't always involve elbowing the person sitting beside them. If it does, then yes, that's totally inconsiderate, crappy behaviour. I would ensure not to let it happen if putting on make-up/brushing my hair on a train (and would avoid it all together really by doing so beforehand or doing so in the toilet, because while it doesn't necessarily impinge physically on the other person, it's probably a bit annoying).

It's only you who mentioned misogyny. The attempts at a gender war is all I was commenting on. Person who happens to be a man does something inconsiderate so "Ooh, what about when women do something inconsiderate" - what about it? It doesn't change or mitigate the inconsiderate behaviour that the focus of the thread is on. Nor does mention of a man being inconsiderate mean a lack of acknowledgement that women can be inconsiderate too. Some people are just selfish and inconsiderate, whatever genitals they have.

Putting on make-up and brushing hair doesn't always involve elbowing the person sitting beside them. If it does, then yes, that's totally inconsiderate, crappy behaviour. I would ensure not to let it happen if putting on make-up/brushing my hair on a train.

I mentioned it but you heavily implied it. My original comment about make up, bags etc was supposed to be tounge in cheek which I thought was made obvious by including pregnant women in it. It's an article highlighting a farcical situation. That's all it is. No gender war.

You must have missed the emboldened:

No, I didn't. But, you might need to reread mine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    Yes, I'm a dude and no I can't close my legs together exactly
    Wut? Why ever not? If this long list of men can sit with their legs crossed why do I read and not for the first time that quite the number of men claim they can't even close their legs. :confused:

Though the fact there's a tumbler page(s) dedicated to this says all you need to say about the interwebs...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Ranchu wrote: »
    I mentioned it but you heavily implied it. My original comment about make up, bags etc was supposed to be tounge in cheek which I thought was made obvious by including pregnant women in it.
    Sorry yeah, that was obvious. I mixed up the rest of your comment with other comments. Apologies. No I did not at all think you or anyone was being misogynistic, honestly. There were comments though that did seek to ignite a gender war - the opening post did really, seeing as the story wasn't even factual. He got a slap on the wrist by the transport company all right, which is deserving for anyone who acts the twat towards others on public transport. The arrest was for that along with a bunch of previous misdemeanours.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

Candie wrote: »
    Try a transatlantic flight with Mr Entitled beside you with his knees in different time zones.

I asked him to let me have my own 'seat space' and he told me he 'had' to sit like that. Like he was riding an imaginary horse.

He snored too. :(

You are too polite and nice! Of course the fat fcuk took advantage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Links234 wrote:
    had to spend a whole 2.30 hour bus journey with an asshole who did that to me once, absolutely infuriating and uncomfortable as hell, and the dickhead just didn't care

Get a car....bus wank3r!!!!

Wibbs wrote: »
    Wut? Why ever not? If this long list of men can sit with their legs crossed why do I read and not for the first time that quite the number of men claim they can't even close their legs. :confused:

Though the fact there's a tumbler page(s) dedicated to this says all you need to say about the interwebs...

Them lads are all actors though. They're acting.

• Advertisement

You are too polite and nice! Of course the fat fcuk took advantage.

He wasn't even overweight, just invaded the space of the seats on both sides of him with his knees spread as far as they could go without rupturing his sac.

Ankles together, knees apart, unrepentant. And contrary to whats being claimed, all men are not like Buster Gonad.

Advertisement