Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHY did you join boards?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

lickme wrote: »
    Its kind of sad seeing people with 1000+ posts. Just shows they have no life. Especially some of the people that disagree with everyone.I'm not sure why I joined but will close my account soon.

Get some friends or something and stop wasting your time on forums getting in arguments with people you don't know or fishing for likes because you have no one else to give you attention!

Its quite sad really.

Or people who try to bait others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

I joined up because I saw my older brother had an account and I didn't want to be missing out on all the fun!

When I first started posting I never bothered reading any of the charters and found myself with a couple of yellow cards pretty quickly. That was the old me. The new me isn't like that. I'm a good poster now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

I was board... That isn't a pun, I'm a piece of wood that for some inexplicable reason became alive. I came here out of desperation to find more of my kind and discover just what happened to me. Alas, my search has been fruitless.

So you're not a piece of wood from any sort of a fruit tree. Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

WHY did you join boards?

I was bored :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

But I only ever signed up to ask a question regarding eircom and getting a console connected to the internet. I don't even remember my name then.

It's ok - I don't remember my name either :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

I was introduced to it by a Welsh friend in college.
    I lurked for a couple of years until I finally had the urge to post so I signed up.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I had quite often been directed here by Google when asking various questions etc...

so a couple of years ago, decided to join up, spent about 2 years not really bothering, but about 8-10 months ago, finally started to get it, and here I am now with almost 1,000 posts!

As with most people I had been reading it or mining it for information and answers to questions - long before I posted myself. But if you make an account for the purposes of lurking - then eventually you feel compelled to post or feel you might have something to offer - like some unique perspective or information that some thread or other was otherwise lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MikeSD

I wanted advice on doing HL maths for the LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Because it was initially created to give the Irish Quake community a place to chat ****; and I was a young lad at the time and I loved chatting **** (and playing Quake).

This was the first ever thread on the first ever boards.ie message board: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1

I'm not going to admit which account was mine; suffice to say this is a new one :o

Edit: And actually I don't think that was the first message; I think that was the first message after the board was migrated to UBB. It was a long time ago; I forget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

I was unemployed at the time and had nothing better to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Its a great way to kill time. At times my work is really quiet between projects. The last 6 weeks have been pretty quiet so a lot of boards activity has resulted. 2 weeks time however when a projects starts, I may not touch boards for months bar the occasional look.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

i was bored one day and stumbled upon it

now im a little less bored at time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I was playing poker in the Fitz. DeVore told me to join.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

Mistakenly thought I could sell a bass guitar here. 7 years ago. Got put right by a mod. hung around since...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54830048

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

To improve my trolling skills and to see who else I could stalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Grayson wrote: »
    Does anyone know how you find out when you joined in relation to others? Is there like a member number.

Hold the mouse over your name, or go to your account page and it's in the URL
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=XXX

Grayson = Mr/Mrs 146.

Seeing as DeV is u=98, it might be a bit off for ye old timers.

Re: Thread Topic
    Started posting on the Ireland Offline when they were suggesting to the government that maybe Eircom's 56k /ISDN dial-up modem services weren't the way of the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Whisky Mac wrote: »
    I joined to find out good places to go kayaking.

The Kayak is in the attic and has not moved since about a month after I joined boards!

Yeah, boards has that affect on some people, like a good couch sloth indica.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I started running and cycling early last year, I googled Irish running forums and Boards popped up. I didn't discover AH until recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Yeah I've had a few at this stage.

1725 posts and joined this month !!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭CFlat

I don't get too many thanks in real life so I joined Boards to get thanked by loads of anonymous people. It hasnt worked out to well so far but someday I'll think of a quip like The Backwards Man and I'll watch the Thanks roll in.

There'll be no stoppin' Old Gill then...skidillyiddledoodle...

Truth- I was trying to get back gigging with a band after my job went south in The Great Downturn of 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I can't remember. I joined as a teenager. Was probably just bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

ressem wrote: »
    Hold the mouse over your name, or go to your account page and it's in the URL
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=XXX

Grayson = Mr/Mrs 146.

Seeing as DeV is u=98, it might be a bit off for ye old timers.

Re: Thread Topic
    Started posting on the Ireland Offline when they were suggesting to the government that maybe Eircom's 56k /ISDN dial-up modem services weren't the way of the future.

That makes sense. I remember DeV from back then. He joined before me.

(and it's Mr ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I discovered Boards after a link to a thread about Irish people hating their country was sent to me by a friend of mine. I created an account and decided to take a look around AH, the light hearted “general” forum, to reacquaint myself with our famous Irish wit.

I was fairly disappointed. In my experience, the forum is awash with the “old guard” backpatting each other for posting a funny gif in 2007 along with a generous helping of jealous spoofers and self-hating malcontents. Every time anyone who has made a success of themselves posts, a disgruntled minority emerge to post potshots and accusations of lying at them.

Fianna Fail, the church, ex-pats, nobody is safe from the ire of the socially desolate and the “smug bastards” of the forum. Mindfulness, of all things, has even become a topic of fun in After Hours! Utter disrespect to an ancient art.

Otherwise it’s nice to catch up with what’s going on back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

I think I was bored in work years ago and just found my way here!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 aglending

Every time I googled for an answer to some question there always seemed to be a boards thread with the answer, so I decided to join up. It's a wealth of information and has given me lots of laughs.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

It kept coming up on Google searches so I eventually joined.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

scdublin wrote: »
    I think I was bored in work years ago and just found my way here!

It's great for passing the time in work alright!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

To further The Gay Atheist Agenda

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Forgotten password 99

I did it for the BANTER!!.:pac:

Advertisement