Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piece on Cyclists on Prime Time RTE 1 9.35PM - Mod warning see OP/post 102

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Falcon L wrote: »
    I think the cycle courier, in the following piece, represented cyclists well. Weaving in and out of other traffic,cycling dangerously with no regard for other road users and pointing out the faults of others. And all this with no brakes... not even one. How many other road users get away with this kind of behaviour?

There's a lot of 'well cars break lights too... ' and the like. How many cars or motorbikes are flying around with no brakes?

He represents cyclists well?!? What were you watching. He was one of the worst cyclists I have ever seen, I know several from the company he works for, none are as idiotic in their control of a bike.
    Well, this just shows how ignorant you are about cycling. That courier with 'no brakes' would have been riding a fixie. They can stop on a dime.
    No, they can't, only if going reasonably slowly. Your front brake is what gives you decent stopping power. The rear one, at speed, will just skid and slow you if travelling at speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

CramCycle wrote: »
    He represents cyclists well?!? What were you watching. He was one of the worst cyclists I have ever seen, I know several from the company he works for, none are as idiotic in their control of a bike.
    Sorry, I forgot to add the sarcasm tag. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭NS77

There's a lot of 'well cars break lights too... ' and the like. How many cars or motorbikes are flying around with no brakes?

I dunno about no brakes.... but a lot of dodgy cars out there:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/more-cars-than-ever-failing-nct-test-1.2089979

http://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/how-200000-of-us-risk-our-lives-in-potentially-dangerous-cars-31142507.html

Sorry, I forgot to add the sarcasm tag. :)

It's not lunchtime yet so Sarcasm isn't a recognised form of communication yet.

Can't believe they are showing PT on a Thursday night, this is a great Friday thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Then why was he using his feet to stop.

Don't assume ignorance. I cycled fixed gear when I was younger. His rear cog looked like a free-wheeler to me.

He rides a fixie. No courier would ride a brakeless singlespeed.

• Advertisement

nak wrote: »
    He rides a fixie. No courier would ride a brakeless singlespeed.

I have seen brakeless single speeds in Ranelagh, not saying the courier was or wasn't (I didn't watch it as it was a re run and I remember it being idiotic the first time).

Just making the point, that just because you or I cannot comprehend the levels of stupidity (even when it is witnessed) present on the road, does not mean that there are not those who not only stretch the possibilities for idiots but there will always be one more to drag it down further to the point where, at some stage, I expect someone with no perceptible brain function interacting with society on a social level.

I have seen brakeless single speeds in Ranelagh, not saying the courier was or wasn't (I didn't watch it as it was a re run and I remember it being idiotic the first time).

Just making the point, that just because you or I cannot comprehend the levels of stupidity (even when it is witnessed) present on the road, does not mean that there are not those who not only stretch the possibilities for idiots but there will always be one more to drag it down further to the point where, at some stage, I expect someone with no perceptible brain function interacting with society on a social level.

Have seen a good few people riding brakeless fixies with flat pedals (no toestraps). Clueless. One had a child in a baby seat on the back, the couriers who witnessed that were horrified.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Just watching this again and that Guard came across well. Fair play to whoever authorised him being on PrimeTime.

Shocked me lastnight watching the environment cyclists are cycling in throughout Dublin. Sharing a road-space that miniscule just frightened me at times watching, never mind having the confidence to do it as often as they do.

It was an eye-opener to me and certainly made me realise just how lucky we have it down here. In saying we have it lucky; if they were to start being pro-active about cyclists breaking the ROTR down here, then they'd have to start on the JauntingCars also who
    ~ break red-lights
    ~ walk out into moving traffic to stop the cars with right-of-way just to ferry 'business' across to their jauntingcart
    ~ mosey on through roundabouts as if they're alone on the roads.

Not sure if they will start down my way with the headaches that will follow tbh. Every section of our Community break the ROTR though, even pedestrians but being pro-active about road-safety needs priority as the roads get busier for the next number of months.

Cycling in Dublin does need improving though, but
    ~ will anything actually be done?
    ~ Are finances in place to improve matters?
    ~ Have they necessary park-&-ride/cycle available to curtail the numbers of motorists in the city at peak-times?

Jeez, I've been reading postings & hearing stories for years but until it's shown, you never really appreciate the full-extent. Rarely travel to Dublin and when I do it's bus/luas and wouldn't always see the scenarios spoken about and shown on this PrimeTime and MeanStreets.

Interesting programmes for me to watch anyways by PrimeTime & MeanStreets. Even if it frightened me at times watching some of the maneuvers by all involved.

Certainly an Eye-Opener.
    Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Am I the only person who mostly has a very easy time of it cycling in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

(I didn't watch it as it was a re run and I remember it being idiotic the first time).

I only caught a minute of it and thought that I've seen this before, because of the courier. It was on before wasn't it ?

If so, I pointed at the first time that that courier was the only cyclist that I had a bad encounter with in my 15 years or so of working and driving in the city centre. I was turning right out of Hume Street onto Stephens Green and he came up on my right and cut across the front of the car while turning to get to the leftmost lane on the green itself. But he timed it badly and would have been knocked off if I didn't brake very hard and he himself didn't stop in time. He turned to me and told me it was my fault before cycling off. I knew he got a fright, plus had it genuinely been my fault, he wouldn't have been so sanguine about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I always operate on the presumption that everyone else on the road is capable of picking the most stupid option available to them at a given time, be they pedestrian, drivers or other cyclists.

Whatever the percentage of people is that will make the most stupid decision they can, there will always be one out there so better to expect the worst and hope for the best.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Shocked me lastnight watching the environment cyclists are cycling in throughout Dublin. Sharing a road-space that miniscule just frightened me at times watching, never mind having the confidence to do it as often as they do.
    It took them 8 days of filming to get the "new" footage they broadcast. Those Youtube clips clearly were picked for their "shock" factor. As pointed out by one or two posters already, cycling in Dublin is really not that dangerous (provided you cycle sensibly)

tomasrojo wrote: »

I have a very easy time of it, it has gotten easier over the years. I realise I rant alot on here but those rants are not even 0.01% of my time on a bike and once I rant they never enter my head again.

The majority of the time, its my cycle that puts me in a good mood for the day, it is what helps me unwind on the way home, it's the friendly waves and nods, the acknowledgements when you are polite, the odd chats, the help when its needed, if your not happy as you cycle around Dublin, you probably will never be happy anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Granolite

No I'm with you on that. I think some people just need to get out more and not so willingly accept lazy media and pro-establishment discourse / sound-bytes as having their interests in mind or society at large for that matter.

Might I also add people just need to open their eyes, be a bit more self aware and be cogniscant of the risks without being intimidated by them.

5.6kWp - SW (220 degrees) - North Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Beasty wrote: »
    Gave up on that when I started track racing .....:P

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

monument wrote: »
    Did the driver drive the van onto the footpath or was it a driverless van which teleported onto the footpath?

Of course he drove on the footpath, but he did not drive along the footpath for 200m as ******* cyclists routinely do.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It has gotten way easier in the last 5 years. No doubt some of that comes from personal confidence and attitude. I'm much more likely to hang back now and take my time rather than aggressively weave in and out of stopped traffic or squeeze by slow moving cars and cyclists.

But I find in general other traffic to be more tolerant now than ever, especially during peak times. People are more frustrated and more likely to do rash things, but they also seem to accept that they're going nowhere fast and so don't go out of their way to squeeze you out. Hitting the city streets at other times (especially in the evenings, janey mack) reveals a different attitude, a very much, "GTFO of my way" attitude where taxis, busses and other cars will take serious risks to try and get past you.

No, generally ok. Especially if on a Dublin bike, find that people give me more room than if I was in roadie mode. I have had close calls (mostly caused by people on the phone while driving), but choose routes that avoid the worst of the traffic.

Driving annoys me more which is why I try and avoid it.

I've never had a problem. I make what I consider to be sensible choices and avoid situations like cycling along inside buses for too long.

I don't have a long commute or anything but the 15 minuteso n the bike to the Dart station in the morning is a lovelly start to the day, as sad as that is :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tipparetops

Going by posts here there seems to be a cyclists v motorists thinking.

This really is city thinking, not enough people cycle in rural Ireland for this to be a issue.
    The only cyclists you see are the ones that get dressed up at the weekends.

I have no problem with cyclists, I just do not understand why some cyclists are against safety.

• Advertisement

Of course he drove on the footpath, but he did not drive along the footpath for 200m as ******* cyclists routinely do.

MOD VOICE: Please read the forum charter before posting again, if you need clarification, please PM me and do not respond in thread. I presume ******* is meant to say "an incredibly small minority, who have been widely admonished by most cyclists on this forum and in the real world, of".

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭NS77

Going by posts here there seems to be a cyclists v motorists thinking.

Not necessarily... perhaps a better summation may be responsible road users vs irresponsible ones?

NS77 wrote: »
    Not necessarily... perhaps a better summation may be responsible road users vs irresponsible ones?

So a responsible cyclist should wear safety gear.

So a responsible cyclist should wear safety gear.

Yes.

But the absence of safety gear doesn't automatically render the cyclist irresponsible.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Beasty wrote: »
    As pointed out by one or two posters already, cycling in Dublin is really not that dangerous (provided you cycle sensibly)

Agreed. I find it very safe. No more dangerous than driving in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

I thought it was a good piece, having being smashed up myself in city centre traffic a couple of times thru no fault of my own I can't say I'd disagree with any of it, some of the sh*t i see some cyclists do in the city is disgraceful. I do think motorists have a lot to answer for too.

There is no talking to ye, maybe to be a cyclist you have to be confident.
    If cyclists were to really think about what they were doing, they wouldnt.

If cyclists were to really think about what they were doing, they wouldnt.

Any chance you could explain that statement, wouldn't do what? Cycle to work and get in quicker? Stay generally healthier than those who commute by car? Reduce traffic volume for those who do travel by car and bus?

Genetics have not been kind to me in terms of metabolic state and life expectancy, if I gave up cycling, it would be the equivalent of giving up about 25 years of my life if I live as long as predicted, with the last few years, statistically, being not the most pleasant.

Could I get my exercise somewhere else, sure, but then I would have less time with my family and friends and my mental health would suffer. The few times I have drove in or got the bus, I am less awake and for all intents and purposes, cost my company money as it takes me awhile to hit full speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Habitual cyclists do indeed live longer than people who habitually travel by motorised transport. That's even before factoring out deaths by road collision. So, to turn it around, if non-cyclists were to really think about what they weren't doing, they would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Agreed. I find it very safe. No more dangerous than driving in Dublin.

Same here, I commute 40kms a day, have been riding a bike in Dublin for 41 years.

To echo others, ride defensively, expect the worst, be grateful for anything else. Oh and hydro disk brakes too.

Advertisement