Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piece on Cyclists on Prime Time RTE 1 9.35PM - Mod warning see OP/post 102

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    And looking at the youtube comments, most of them seem not to have noticed the Taxi breaking the lights and instead pick on the bicyclist.. :rolleyes:
    Yes, both are idiots. I would contend the cyclist was the bigger idiot considering there was a bus waiting to cross the junction plus the cyclist doesn't have the accelerating power to get out of the way as quickly as the taxi (not in any way justifying the taxi's actions).

As for the brake cable snapping excuse - that's bs - he was already breaking the law and cycling dangerously before he seemed to even touch the brakes. There was a relatively large gap between the lights and the junction. Don't know why people are accepting that as an excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I think it's less about delivery times and more about aesthetics. You don't look terribly hipsterish if you aren't insouciantly blowing through red lights.

Speaking as someone who once worked as a cycle courier many, many, many moons ago in my youth; yes it is all about delivery times. Unless every courier company has changed how they pay couriers (which I doubt), cycle couriers get paid per drop; and it was - way back when - a paltry figure. On top of that, some package runs were "screamers", i.e. the customer is screaming down the phone that they want it yesterday so you'd get added pressure that way too.

It's something that shouldn't happen, but the environment in which you find yourself working encourages cutting time everywhere possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Isn't it "strange" how investigative t.v programs like Primetime never seem to feature incidents like this...

Of a regular bicyclist, stopped at a red light in Dublin city centre, waiting patiently when she heard a revving car behind her, which then screeches through the red light almost killing her. And the Gard's weren't bothered about it at all! :mad:

little-effort-was-made-to-catch-hit and run-driver-

Advertisement