Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs Barbarians, Thomond Pk, 28/05/15 19:45, Sky SP1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Flipper22

Buer wrote: »
    Things Ian Keatley rarely says.

Hahahahaha very nice

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Buer wrote: »
    Things Ian Keatley rarely says.
    Epic play on words there Buer!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I reckon the Irish lads will really look to cut loose tonight. Schmidt has been pretty hands-on so far so this could be their chance to play some attacking rugby, especially with the guys in the backline.

I'm really looking forward to the game anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Yeah I'm really looking forward to it as well. I'd have thought everyone would be...

Keep in mind that the Ireland A team have always been abysmal. Wolfhounds always misfire. Summer tours are usually a disappointment. Call me pessimistic, but I'd say this hacked together Irish team won't be entertaining to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I reckon the Irish lads will really look to cut loose tonight. Schmidt has been pretty hands-on so far so this could be their chance to play some attacking rugby, especially with the guys in the backline.

I wonder will we see a huge change in the game plan or will Joe just use it as an introduction to the newer players, mind you since Madigan can't do what Sexton does there may well be no point.

Keep in mind that the Ireland A team have always been abysmal. Wolfhounds always misfire. Summer tours are usually a disappointment. Call me pessimistic, but I'd say this hacked together Irish team won't be entertaining to watch.

Well that's just entirely false, there have been plenty of examples of those teams playing very well.

http://www.irishrugby.ie/rugby/fixturesandresults/5303.php
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/rugby/fixturesandresults/33009.php

Or remember the Churchill Cup team in 2009? These teams do play badly at times, but there's plenty of examples of them playing very nicely together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

That's the spirit!

It's an end of season bonus with very little pressure. Madigan isn't the complete outhalf but this is the sort of game in which he might thrive, likewise Reddan; his high tempo game with occasional fnck-ups is what these games are all about.

I'm looking forward to the game tonight.

Great opportunity to watch a complete non stress game and one where both teams will be looking to play entertaining rugby at the very least.

Ireland will still look to do the basics well but I'd say Schmidt will have them offloading a bit more and maybe relying a little less on the kick chase.

There are loads of reasons though why this should be fun:

Madigan v Gopperth
    Heaslip v Jennings
    Kearney v Kircher
    Heines v the rules

Albeit I can appreciate why Leinster supporters are probably going to be more excited than most, I can't understand why there are pages of people moaning about this fixture.

Bit of fun and hopefully no injuries combined with a decent shout at a couple of nice tries on an otherwise quiet Thursday evening. Really what more could you ask for.

Come on Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 neiliog93

Some of these guys are playing for RWC squad places, I wouldn't worry about underperformance too much. The Baabaa's will have been on the piss all week. Should be a good match and an Irish win.

• Advertisement

neiliog93 wrote: »
    Some of these guys are playing for RWC squad places, I wouldn't worry about underperformance too much. The Baabaa's will have been on the piss all week. Should be a good match and an Irish win.

If Adam Jones takes all their conversions and drop goal attempts I would be SOOO happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I don't think you can compare this Irish side to the Wolfhounds in fairness. McGrath, Toner, Henry, Heaslip, Reddan, R Kearney & Ross are all guys you'd expect to see in a 23 with Mads & Jackson battling it out for the 22 shirt and Tuohy & Murphy not far off.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭phog

My concern would be players might hold back a bit just in case of injury. I know a player can pick up a knock even in training but with the world cup around the corner and nothing riding on the result could they hold back a bit.

phog wrote: »
    My concern would be players might hold back a bit just in case of injury. I know a player can pick up a knock even in training but with the world cup around the corner and nothing riding on the result could they hold back a bit.

Players would know more than anyone that if you hold back to try and prevent an injury you are more likely to get injured.

It's not gonna be as intense as an important fixture but both teams will be going about their business and I expect there to be a couple of entertainingly big hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

The annulus of misery had me forgetting the pleasant fact that there's a match on tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Given I come from the land of sheep, can't really ignore the Baa-Baas. Will be watching I imagine...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Given I come from the land of sheep, can't really ignore the Baa-Baas. Will be watching I imagine...

Try to control yourself! Although maybe that kind of thing is legal in Switzerland...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Try to control yourself! Although maybe that kind of thing is legal in Switzerland...

Yes it is. But you must first make a formal application to the local council. There is a checklist to be filled in (black pen only), and the townsfolk can bring the matter to a referendum first. There is also of course a small fee of CHF10.37 to pay. Tuesdays between 10.33 and 11.05 and Fridays during working hours (but not for lunch, and not on public holidays) only. If the noise levles rise above 78 decibels you can be fined. Canton Zurich and canton Bern voted against this amendment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Is there not a black (sheep) market?

Mark Robson and Alan Quinlan...

Also Schmidt was talking to Robbie Deans during the week according to his pre-match interview, let the rumours continue!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Nice throwback to the loose jersey there for Jennings,

Someone shouted "CMON MUNSTER" just at kick-off :pac:

COS bit in on Kirchner there leaving Gilroy exposed.....

Good turnover Furlong!

molloyjh wrote: »
    COS bit in on Kirchner there leaving Gilroy exposed.....

Nah he was in the right place, Gilroy was nowhere.

Gwan Hines!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Hines on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Beanz!

Harsh penalty

• Advertisement

Nah he was in the right place, Gilroy was nowhere.

So who was he covering? Marshall (or was it Mads?) had Kirchner. It looked to me that COS ended up leaving Gilroy covering the 2 men outside.

Advertisement