Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Number 137

I think if Ah You can get a bit fitter, he could be the starting tighthead. Herbst hasn't really progressed like Ulster would have hoped, and Lutton is average. Ah You is a big man, and can be a very destructive carrier. His scrummaging can be suspect, but that could be partly due to fitness. As the game goes on, he sometimes struggles more and more at the set piece. He'll never be a world beater at scrum time, but he could be solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Number 137 wrote: »
    I think if Ah You can get a bit fitter, he could be the starting tighthead. Herbst hasn't really progressed like Ulster would have hoped, and Lutton is average. Ah You is a big man, and can be a very destructive carrier. His scrummaging can be suspect, but that could be partly due to fitness. As the game goes on, he sometimes struggles more and more at the set piece. He'll never be a world beater at scrum time, but he could be solid.

Do you imply that Ulster can get him fitter than Connacht?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

RobbieRuns wrote: »

I'd be of the opinion that he can get fitter than he is. Whether thats a consequence of poor S&C in Connacht or a poor attitude from him or a bit of both I'm unsure.

Didn't he get in trouble in Connacht on year for coming back from the Summer out of shape?

I'd be of the opinion that he can get fitter than he is. Whether thats a consequence of poor S&C in Connacht or a poor attitude from him or a bit of both I'm unsure.

Didn't he get in trouble in Connacht on year for coming back from the Summer out of shape?

Strange than 15 superfit Ulstermen could not get past 13 unfit Connacht men last Friday night?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Strange than 15 superfit Ulstermen could not get past 13 unfit Connacht men last Friday night?

Poor tactics by Ulster IMHO - they kept the ball in the pack rather than let the backs take advantage of extra man. Connacht's defence close to maul and ruck was top rate I have to say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Yeah but Rodney was gone at that point...

His fitness has been an issue for a long time. I hope Ulster can do a job with him because otherwise they've been sold a pup.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

If Ah You is unfit it is most likely an attitude problem. Maybe the idea of a new challenge will resolve that. It worked for Nick Williams after all, but I don't think anyone is trying to put a sleight on Connacht here!

Connacht play a high tempo game so it stands to reason that they have a fit squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I don't think there's any question Ah You's fitness is an issue. I don't think I've ever seen him go for more than 40-50 mins without being totally knackered afterwards. His main problem since the move has been announced has been an attitude problem in my opinion though which is actually slightly more worrying.

I don't think any questions can be asked of the Connacht S&C guys, there's absolutely no issue with fitness in the rest of the squad.

Yeah but Rodney was gone at that point...

His fitness has been an issue for a long time. I hope Ulster can do a job with him because otherwise they've been sold a pup.

TH is a serious issue for us. Herbst hasn't lived up to his first season, Lutton is alright in the scrum but around the park does some of the stupidest things and Bronson Ross has never really had a chance although has looked ok.

Ah You will hopefully give us another option.

That said I still want to know what bright spark didn't rate Bealham? There seems to be some really poor player identification in the forwards at Ulster.

I just find it in general a little rich that the implication is that he will get fitter in Ulster. I know that he was off towards the end and he is a big lump, but to just state that he will get fitter by going to Ulster, I can't agree.

Every pundit was saying, they will tire around the 60 mark, the short turn around after the hard Leinster game the week before...... did not see it myself. The fitness level of the whole Connacht team is top class and Rodney is part of that team. To say he will get fitter.... nah, he is what he is. For the record, I think that the fitness levels have increased all round this year for Connacht. Think they have cut down on the Guinness alright !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I just find it in general a little rich that the implication is that he will get fitter in Ulster. I know that he was off towards the end and he is a big lump, but to just state that he will get fitter by going to Ulster, I can't agree.

Every pundit was saying, they will tire around the 60 mark, the short turn around after the hard Leinster game the week before...... did not see it myself. The fitness level of the whole Connacht team is top class and Rodney is part of that team. To say he will get fitter.... nah, he is what he is. For the record, I think that the fitness levels have increased all round this year for Connacht. Think they have cut down on the Guinness alright !
    A change of scenery can do a lot. And he does have fitness issues
    The only person who's seen a sleight on Connacht etc is you....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

I was chatting to the ulster Supporters club on Friday and they were saying Best is one of Rodneys main backers to get him to the club

To be fair the initial poster that Robbie was replying to did suggest that it could be a consequence of poor S&C in Connacht which seems unlikely given the fitness of the rest of the squad.

Lads, it will be attitude over anything Connacht S&C team are doing. There is nothing to suggest one province is better than the other in this respect. Look at Deccie Fitzpatrick, that guy practically had Mars bars falling out of his pockets when he was running round the pitch. It comes down to individual responsibility at the end of the day.

If there is a reason to think Ah You will get fitter at Ulster it is because it will be a new challenge, not because Ulster are better than Connacht at S&C.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

bilston wrote: »
    Lads, it will be attitude over anything Connacht S&C team are doing. There is nothing to suggest one province is better than the other in this respect. Look at Deccie Fitzpatrick, that guy practically had Mars bars falling out of his pockets when he was running round the pitch. It comes down to individual responsibility at the end of the day.

If there is a reason to think Ah You will get fitter at Ulster it is because it will be a new challenge, not because Ulster are better than Connacht at S&C.

Exactly, it's not like he's going to Leinster!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Wait until he's been on a steady diet of Ulster heart smart health food and hangover cure.

2v2cpef.jpg

A change of scenery can of course reinvigorate a player and the best of luck to Rodders. I did not take anything as a "sleight" on Connacht, I just added my point that the S&C in Galway is as good as the other provinces. You seem to struggle a bit with humour and banter my friend, never being able to tell the difference. No upset or slight from me at all. Just good natured discussion. :)

All this talk of S&C has put me in the mood for a Pastie Supper

• Administrators Posts: 53,562 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ah bilston, you can't get the pastie down here :(

I miss it terribly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Think that's what Rodney said during pre-season training and sure it just went from there.

• Advertisement

Think that's what Rodney said during pre-season training and sure it just went from there.

Almost, something more along the lines of:
    All this talk of S&C anything has put me in the mood for a Pastie Supper supermacs

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Number 137

Absolutely no implication of any sort. Like others have said, I just think he could be fitter, and being in a new squad might help that process as he will have to prove himself to his new coaches and team mates, etc.

Alright already, can we drop the Rodney fitness debate ! They have no Supermacs up there he will be sound.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Alright already, can we drop the Rodney fitness debate ! They have no Supermacs up there he will be sound.

But think of the nandos!!!!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

But think of the nandos!!!!!

Boojum is where it's at in Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Boojum is where it's at in Belfast.

The Boojum in Galway is just as good - better opening hours also
    Edit: wait Belfast open till 10pm now also

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

wp_rathead wrote: »
    The Boojum in Galway is just as good - better opening hours also

I can only assume Ah You signed the deal before it opened in Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

TH is a serious issue for us. Herbst hasn't lived up to his first season, Lutton is alright in the scrum but around the park does some of the stupidest things and Bronson Ross has never really had a chance although has looked ok.

Ah You will hopefully give us another option.

That said I still want to know what bright spark didn't rate Bealham? There seems to be some really poor player identification in the forwards at Ulster.

I didn't rate bealham. Now I do. Must be my fault

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

jacothelad wrote: »
    Williams, Bowe, Herbst, Tuohy, O'Connor, Warwick, Nelson, Ludik, Arnold, Also, a number of players are still suffering from the after effects of a respiratory virus. Cave for example wouldn't have been used except in an emergency.

Billysays 'Can't read a team sheet.'.:D:D:D:D
    As individuals we all have our favourite 15. That does not make them the first choice players for match day. So look again at your suggestions, then equate them to the player in that position against Connacht and ask yourself if its not a maybe yes, maybe no. Even tommy bowe, for all his reputation, has had a pretty torrid time, in the last 18 months. Would you select him over gilroy or indeed scholes. As such he no longer rates as first choice. The quality available to ulster was, from my viewpoint, as good as you had against Connacht. An argument for another day maybe :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭neelia11

As individuals we all have our favourite 15. That does not make them the first choice players for match day. So look again at your suggestions, then equate them to the player in that position against Connacht and ask yourself if its not a maybe yes, maybe no. Even tommy bowe, for all his reputation, has had a pretty torrid time, in the last 18 months. Would you select him over gilroy or indeed scholes. As such he no longer rates as first choice. The quality available to ulster was, from my viewpoint, as good as you had against Connacht. An argument for another day maybe :-)

some of this argument could easily be leveled at the connacht team on the night too. Bottom line is Ulster were nowhere near full strength. Neither were connacht. On the night Ulster were simply the better side and if they had a better reserve 9 they probably would have got the TBP.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement