Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

neelia11 wrote: »
    some of this argument could easily be leveled at the connacht team on the night too. Bottom line is Ulster were nowhere near full strength. Neither were connacht. On the night Ulster were simply the better side and if they had a better reserve 9 they probably would have got the TBP.
    That is a definite lol. First time I ever used an lol. My daughter thinks I'm just old but I figure I can get 'hip'. So my impression in old terms would be wow and is now lol. Moving with the times. Get with the program neelia.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

That is a definite lol. First time I ever used an lol. My daughter thinks I'm just old but I figure I can get 'hip'. So my impression in old terms would be wow and is now lol. Moving with the times. Get with the program neelia.

Vintage ouncer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Someone call social services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭neelia11

You are a ****in imbecile

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Ouncer single-handedly stinking up another interpro thread on behalf of all sensible, sporting, Connacht supporters.

Yes I have him on ignore, but people keep quoting him, so his gibberish takes over pages upon pages of every thread. He's the sole reason I don't post here at this stage.

Well done to Ulster, fantastic stadium, your supporters are very welcoming and the best team won on the night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Anyone seen Brett Herron play? Exciting that we've picked up an IQ backup for PJ at least, can't help but wonder where our planning for 9 is though

https://twitter.com/UlsterRugby/status/717629906868379649

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Can you please try and keep the discussion on rugby. You may think your off topic rants are funny or clever but all you're doing is sniping and dragging the thread down.

As for everyone else, don't react to posts on thread as you'll just end up getting an infraction. Report posts and leave it to us.

Furthermore, no poster should be referred to by their previous handle, they may not want that be public knowledge. Also if someone is on your ignore list don't go telling the world they're on it. That's just vindictive and will be dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

That's some age profile on Ulster's out halves for next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,200 ✭✭✭✭Buer

MJohnston wrote: »
    Anyone seen Brett Herron play?

Only appearance for them was as a sub in a pre-season friendly. He only turns 21 this year so plenty of time on his side but lets hope it's not another case of Ulster simply signing someone because he's IQ despite not being up to scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote: »
    Anyone seen Brett Herron play? Exciting that we've picked up an IQ backup for PJ at least, can't help but wonder where our planning for 9 is though

https://twitter.com/UlsterRugby/status/717629906868379649

He's way down the pecking order at Bath, not sure if he's ever played senior rugby. They have Gavin Hastings' son as a younger 10 who would be ahead of him in the pecking order.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 131 ✭✭leinstertalk

Buer wrote: »
    Only appearance for them was as a sub in a pre-season friendly. He only turns 21 this year so plenty of time on his side but lets hope it's not another case of Ulster simply signing someone because he's IQ despite not being up to scratch.

it almost certainly is

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Buer wrote: »

Yep. If you are 21 and not making the bench at your club now and again the chances are you ain't that good. I suspect it's another Ulster knee jerk signing - oh so many contracts given to no hopers. It's a damning statistic. The best young 10 I've seen for decades plays for Carrickfergus. Didn't go to M.C.B. / Campbell / Inst so hasn't a prayer of a sniff at the academy. I was put on to him by a guy who used to be head coach at Malone. He is far better than McPhillips - .....

Herron will definitely be starting next season for Ulster ravens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

McPhillips was not outstanding at the U20's but the coaches see more of him I suppose. The thing is that Ulster appear to be looking at the England underage system for Irish qualified players now, McPhilips, Treadwell and Herron were all England underage players. (I know Treadwell played U18 Clubs but left for 20's). It's a trend and does not say much for the Irish Exiles sustem.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    McPhillips was not outstanding at the U20's but the coaches see more of him I suppose. The thing is that Ulster appear to be looking at the England underage system for Irish qualified players now, McPhilips, Treadwell and Herron were all England underage players. (I know Treadwell played U18 Clubs but left for 20's). It's a trend and does not say much for the Irish Exiles sustem.
    Or it says a lot about it. Exiles are in a tricky situation. They will have grown up in England/Wales or elsewhere. Exiles team is primarily made up of those kids living in England but they can and do come from elsewhere so there will be bigger ties for many with England/Wales as Ireland.
    Would you change the exiles system to do something about it?

Or it says a lot about it. Exiles are in a tricky situation. They will have grown up in England/Wales or elsewhere. Exiles team is primarily made up of those kids living in England but they can and do come from elsewhere so there will be bigger ties for many with England/Wales as Ireland.
    Would you change the exiles system to do something about it?

Far be it for me to say what the IRFU or the Exiles system should do, but find it a small bit of a shame that Ulster are going for players who represented England at age grade rather than Ireland and did not make it in England. It is a professional game and they are trawling the teams to see if certain players have IQ connections, and that was supposed to be the purpose and the job of the IRFU Exile system. Not a criticism more of a sad observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Far be it for me to say what the IRFU or the Exiles system should do, but find it a small bit of a shame that Ulster are going for players who represented England at age grade rather than Ireland and did not make it in England. It is a professional game and they are trawling the teams to see if certain players have IQ connections, and that was supposed to be the purpose and the job of the IRFU Exile system. Not a criticism more of a sad observation.
    Its a discussion forum...
    Those players represented England yes but that doesn't mean theyre only with Ireland because they didn't make it with England.
    Again would you therefore change the exiles system if you feel that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭jacothelad

There is a young guy, a 10, called Sam Wallace who plays for Carrick. He wouldn't look out of place playing for Ulster now but as he didn't go to one of the 'elite' schools he hasn't a hope. Nepotism and cronyism are rife in the wider sphere of Ulster rugby and the good young players see it. Here is an example. A couple of years ago, Sam Wallace's U16 team played a semi-final against Dromore and put 12 tries to none on them. They then played Banbridge in the final and beat them out of sight scoring 57 points in the process. Two weeks later the Ulster U16 team was announced. Virtually all the players came from Dromore and Banbridge. Guess how many Carrick players were selected...1. Guess which coaches select the U16 team. You'll be surprised I'm sure that it is in fact the coaches of Dromore and Banbridge.

Wallace was asked to go to Coleraine for a series of Ulster organised training sessions. He and a few other guys were stuck in a room and told to play with their phones until they were needed. Brilliant or what? It's no wonder young guys give up - especially those from non-rugby backgrounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

jacothelad wrote: »
    There is a young guy, a 10, called Sam Wallace who plays for Carrick. He wouldn't look out of place playing for Ulster now but as he didn't go to one of the 'elite' schools he hasn't a hope. Nepotism and cronyism are rife in the wider sphere of Ulster rugby and the good young players see it. Here is an example. A couple of years ago, Sam Wallace's U16 team played a semi-final against Dromore and put 12 tries to none on them. They then played Banbridge in the final and beat them out of sight scoring 57 points in the process. Two weeks later the Ulster U16 team was announced. Virtually all the players came from Dromore and Banbridge. Guess how many Carrick players were selected...1. Guess which coaches select the U16 team. You'll be surprised I'm sure that it is in fact the coaches of Dromore and Banbridge.

Wallace was asked to go to Coleraine for a series of Ulster organised training sessions. He and a few other guys were stuck in a room and told to play with their phones until they were needed. Brilliant or what? It's no wonder young guys give up - especially those from non-rugby backgrounds.
    I've heard you talk about this before jaco and it's hard to understand the mentality. Equally hard to know if the same kind of thing goes on elsewhere either.

What's the solution?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I've heard you talk about this before jaco and it's hard to understand the mentality. Equally hard to know if the same kind of thing goes on elsewhere either.

What's the solution?

Solution is Leinster need to get their arse up north and start scouting by the sounds of it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Solution is Leinster need to get their arse up north and start scouting by the sounds of it!!

Also get more catholic schools playing the sport. Its almost as one sided up north as gaa. You can grow up and goto school in a catholic area and never see a rugby ball in the flesh until you reach adulthood.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Also get more catholic schools playing the sport. Its almost as one sided up north as gaa. You can grow up and goto school in a catholic area and never see a rugby ball in the flesh until you reach adulthood.

I want to see rugby become a truly 9 county sport in Ulster. Donegal have two or three clubs like Inishowen and Sheephaven, Mongahan have Mongahan and I think there is a club called Virginia in Cavan, but really we need to see more done in those three counties. In saying that, it isn't just the three "southern (makes no sense to describe Donegal as that but you know what I mean!) counties" it would be great to see more done in Fermanagh as well, I think there is just Enniskillen and Clogher Valley (arguably Tyrone anyway) there.

Religion is a factor of course but it definitely isn't as big an issue as it used to be. I don't want to get into a political s***storm but I'd say there are a lot more Catholics playing rugby than there are Protestants playing GAA in Northern Ireland. But then Catholics are more likely to go to state schools than Protestants are to Catholic schools, and the growing Catholic middle class are a factor as well.

Getting into non traditional areas is important. Setting up a rugby club in West Belfast would be a good start for the Ulster Branch, but that probably needs to be locally driven, so in the meantime the Ulster Branch have to get into schools in the area. Playing Ulster A games around the province would be helpful as well, and to be fair this does happen.

Maybe the Ulster Branch could have a lottery each week for schools in Ulster whereby the lucky school that gets pulled out of the lottery gets 100 free tickets for an Ulster match, get kids along to watch Ulster live and that may encourage them to take more of an interest in the sport.

bilston wrote: »
    I want to see rugby become a truly 9 county sport in Ulster. Donegal have two or three clubs like Inishowen and Sheephaven, Mongahan have Mongahan and I think there is a club called Virginia in Cavan, but really we need to see more done in those three counties. In saying that, it isn't just the three "southern (makes no sense to describe Donegal as that but you know what I mean!) counties" it would be great to see more done in Fermanagh as well, I think there is just Enniskillen and Clogher Valley (arguably Tyrone anyway) there.

Religion is a factor of course but it definitely isn't as big an issue as it used to be. I don't want to get into a political s***storm but I'd say there are a lot more Catholics playing rugby than there are Protestants playing GAA in Northern Ireland. But then Catholics are more likely to go to state schools than Protestants are to Catholic schools, and the growing Catholic middle class are a factor as well.

Getting into non traditional areas is important. Setting up a rugby club in West Belfast would be a good start for the Ulster Branch, but that probably needs to be locally driven, so in the meantime the Ulster Branch have to get into schools in the area. Playing Ulster A games around the province would be helpful as well, and to be fair this does happen.

Maybe the Ulster Branch could have a lottery each week for schools in Ulster whereby the lucky school that gets pulled out of the lottery gets 100 free tickets for an Ulster match, get kids along to watch Ulster live and that may encourage them to take more of an interest in the sport.

I agree, there are legacy reasons for fewer catholic areas having access to a rugby club. I know two areas which tried to setup clubs but huge pressure from the local gaa club and its members doomed the startups to failure. I suppose its just self preservation from the gaa clubs. Please understand that I place the blame within the local communities and not ulster rugby for these issues. Its just frustrating to see genetically gifted individuals missing out on a chance to play a global professional sport, and helping ulster to a RCC title... ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,200 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Its just frustrating to see genetically gifted individuals missing out on a chance to play a global professional sport, and helping ulster to a RCC title... ;-)

Winning the Roman Catholic Church title? Now that's the sort of progressive approach needed!

Its a discussion forum...
    Those players represented England yes but that doesn't mean theyre only with Ireland because they didn't make it with England.
    Again would you therefore change the exiles system if you feel that way?

I do not know enough about it to say that I would change it. But if it is not producing enough players to feed to the Irish system (which I assume is its purpose) then I am sure that it would be looked at by Nucifora and the powers that be with regards to reform or change.
    What changes do you think need to be made to the Exiles system?

McPhillips wasn't even good.

I do not know enough about it to say that I would change it. But if it is not producing enough players to feed to the Irish system (which I assume is its purpose) then I am sure that it would be looked at by Nucifora and the powers that be with regards to reform or change.
    What changes do you think need to be made to the Exiles system?

What changes can be made? the exiles will almost always be picking from players not considered good enough by their home country. Those players have more ties to Ireland than Jared Payne et. al

What changes can be made? the exiles will almost always be picking from players not considered good enough by their home country. Those players have more ties to Ireland than Jared Payne et. al

In some case the player may be a late bloomer (physically) or maybe just didn't have the right coaching team around them to get the best from them...

• Advertisement

In some case the player may be a late bloomer (physically) or maybe just didn't have the right coaching team around them to get the best from them...

and were overlooked by their home country.. most exiles that come over don't make it in Ireland.

I'd be surprised if either McPhillips or Herron make it at Ulster. Treadwell i'd have more hopes for.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement