Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread II

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,563 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Hagz wrote: »
    Terrible maul call by Lacey. Marshall's bum hit the ground.

He is a terrible referee. Marshall is tiny and he was lifted off the ground. How can that possibly be a maul?

Ulster rubbish though, no complaints about result

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

razorblunt wrote: »
    You can't be serious? It's been absolutely abysmal from them.

It's been good relative to what I had been listening before.

Even if that were true, which you'll find people at the BBC arguing it's not (certainly BBC NI when they're looking for help securing rights for these games!), it doesn't excuse the poor standard. As former total said, he's not just biased, he's extremely poor, and that's what's frustrating.

Its true.

If this game was on BBC national you'd have a point. But it isn't so you can have no complaints.

Neilly is pretty rubbish, but his bias isn't an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Flipper22

Terrible maul call by Lacey. Marshall's bum hit the ground.

Absolutely, I've seen knees on the ground not called a completed tackle but never a lad sitting down picked up again. The cherry on top of a very poor performance from Lacey

awec wrote: »
    Its true.

If this game was on BBC national you'd have a point. But it isn't so you can have no complaints.

Neilly is pretty rubbish, but his bias isn't an issue.

It really isn't true for any of the regional channels, you're mistaken there.

But you missed my point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Glad BBC showed callum black getting raked in the head - to me that was lacey's howler of the night.

Sometimes the man is just painfully arrogant and I couldn't believe he just ignored the tmo on this.

NiallBoo wrote: »
    Glad BBC showed callum black getting raked in the head - to me that was lacey's howler of the night.

Sometimes the man is just painfully arrogant and I couldn't believe he just ignored the tmo on this.

I think Lacey is probably the best referee in the Pro 12.

And eh, also I think that Ulster will look really good next season with Dom Ryan at 6, Ian Henderson at 5 and Jared Payne at 13.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

In fairness, Neilly is crazily biased. There's nothing to really compare him to. You won't see the same level of bias shown on other channels.

EDIT: John Lacey the best referee in the Pro12? I would put Owens and probably Whitehouse ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

The try scoring pass is foward for Hogg's try. Such a simple decision for ref and TMO, between them, to get correct. Changes game. Ulster have a scrum at 17 9. Terrible officiating, Lacey more to blame as he didn't ask TMO to check it

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Flipper22

Really? In what way? I'm not a fan generally and he was really bad tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

In fairness, Neilly is crazily biased. There's nothing to really compare him to. You won't see the same level of bias shown on other channels.

You've watched Brian Moore commentate on England then?

And eh, also I think that Ulster will look really good next season with Dom Ryan at 6, Ian Henderson at 5 and Jared Payne at 13.
    You trolling me again ibf ? :pac:

He's grand a lot of the time but he has a terrible habit of just imagining what happened instead of opening his eyes. He usually does this a few times a game.

I can understand someone not seeing something, but lacey just makes stuff up - the hogg try was another good example.

OK I admit it! Everything I'm saying is just an attempt to wind up awec

I'll see myself out

OK I admit it! Everything I'm saying is just an attempt to wind up awec

I'll see myself out

You'll get no rise from me!

I am the master, you are the apprentice! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

rsh118 wrote: »
    You've watched Brian Moore commentate on England then?

Brian Moore is actually a damn good commentator. I find him to be one of the most balanced around. Of course he gets excited when England score and doesn't hide who he wants to win, but that's a different kind of bias. That's a tolerable sort of bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Lacey strikes again.

However while we played OK in parts there were moments that cost us.

1) Gilroy's "pass" to Marshall cost us 5/7 points
    2) Jackson's restart that didn't go 10 which eventually cost us 3 points
    3) Reidy's knock on which led eventually to Seymour's try cost us
    4) Not playing Best, Payne and Trimble cost us, even Payne and Trimble would have helped.

Yes some poor officiating cost us too, but we have to take responsibility.

We need to win our last 4 games now to make the top 4.

Connacht and Leinster at home, Zebre and Ospreys away. I reckon we'll get 11 points and that might not even be enough for Champions Cup qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I noticed around 65/70 minutes Henderson was down for a good while, got up on his own but was very slow about it and it's the last I really noticed of him for the game.

Could be his match fitness, he did have to play 80 with Williams going off, or else he picked up a niggle. Hopefully the former.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

It really isn't true for any of the regional channels, you're mistaken there.

But you missed my point

Are the guys in SC4 (?) never biased towards the Welsh teams, or BBC Alba biased towards the Scottish ones?

Or can you not tell what they're saying when they're not speaking English.

Are the guys in SC4 (?) never biased towards the Welsh teams, or BBC Alba biased towards the Scottish ones?

Or can you not tell what they're saying when they're not speaking English.

The guys on S4C and BBC Wales are even more biased than Neilly I would say. There are various degrees of ineptitude in all walks of life.

• Advertisement

bilston wrote: »
    1) Gilroy's "pass" to Marshall cost us 5/7 points

Looking at the replay I thought that one was knocked back by a Glasgow player.

The guys on S4C and BBC Wales are even more biased than Neilly I would say. There are various degrees of ineptitude in all walks of life.

Neilly's ineptitude is a separate issue from his bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

Brian Moore is actually a damn good commentator. I find him to be one of the most balanced around. Of course he gets excited when England score and doesn't hide who he wants to win, but that's a different kind of bias. That's a tolerable sort of bias.

I'm being a bit disingenuous I do think Moore is actually pretty decent, but a solid 50% of commentators show their bias.

The F1 lads used to be the worst too with their bum-licking of McLaren at every opportunity.

Neilly is pants but he is ours. Away and criticise your own family!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Before people go blaming ref I thought Ulster were very lucky not to get someone binned in first half

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

it was a highly entertaining game of rugby (look at the munster zebre mess) and games like that tonight makes you feel more positive about the game of rugby. hope the leinster connacht game stacks up the same

There was a passage of play at one point in this match where Gilroy and Jackson both failed to clear the ball out of the Ulster 22 keeping the team under unnecessary pressure. I think eventually Glasgow got the ball back and knocked it on but you have to think it may well be moments like that which are keeping them out of the Ireland squad?

Everyone says Schmidt hates mistakes.Gilroy tried to do a kick through for himself when hoofing it as far away as he could was what he should have done. Now maybe he was under pressure and couldn't clear it but kicking it into the opposition player resulting in a loss of metres isn't going to impress.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

NiallBoo wrote: »

I have to say I found him a bit arrogant at times last night too.
    It's been good relative to what I had been listening before.

I was actually complaining about it last night, I had thought everyone was doing likewise, looks like it was the exact same complaint about them as the BBC Ulster lads.

Their habit of picking current players of Edinburgh and Glasgow to co-commentate is a waste of time, they all sound bored, with little in jokes and will never slate their colleagues, obviously.

Talking of bias I suggest Ulster fans stay clear of Tom English's match report on the BBC website.

What a joke that my license fee goes towards that one eyed nonsense...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭blackdog1

bilston wrote: »
    Talking of bias I suggest Ulster fans stay clear of Tom English's match report on the BBC website.

What a joke that my license fee goes towards that one eyed nonsense...

Think Ulster deserved to lose last night. You got 1 lucky try due to excellent thinking by pienar and Gilroy but apart from the first try didn't create much. Glasgow were the better side, they held onto the ball for large amount of time and were smart when attacking. Lacey was poor for both teams. He let Ulster get away with murder at every breakdown( how many times was Henry offside!). He also called maul very early which suited Ulster. I think that pass was forward for Glasgow's try but not by 6 feet more like 1. And Lamont grazed Blacks head so it would have been a penalty only. Ulster lost the game when big Nick went off and Aoc.Henderson isn't match sharp and Diack is only a lineout option offers no grunt. I thought Marshall was outstanding yesterday with some great defensive work also thought Gilroy looked sharp.

• Advertisement

blackdog1 wrote: »
    Think Ulster deserved to lose last night. You got 1 lucky try due to excellent thinking by pienar and Gilroy but apart from the first try didn't create much. Glasgow were the better side, they held onto the ball for large amount of time and were smart when attacking. Lacey was poor for both teams. He let Ulster get away with murder at every breakdown( how many times was Henry offside!). He also called maul very early which suited Ulster. I think that pass was forward for Glasgow's try but not by 6 feet more like 1. And Lamont grazed Blacks head so it would have been a penalty only. Ulster lost the game when big Nick went off and Aoc.Henderson isn't match sharp and Diack is only a lineout option offers no grunt. I thought Marshall was outstanding yesterday with some great defensive work also thought Gilroy looked sharp.

It doesn't matter if the pass is 1 foot forward or 6 feet forward. It's forward! That was a big moment in the game, but I said last night the boys had to look at themselves. Too many mistakes at crucial moments. On the Lamont Black incident, I wasn't too bothered, but there is an argument that it was wreckless, but for example it wasn't as bad as Brown on Murray in the 6Ns and nothing came of that.

Glagow were the better team, and on that form will be hard to stop but I thought Ulster played ok but they need to be more consistent. I'm hoping someone like Coetzee will demand that consistency next season. The fact he has already captained the Sharks at the age of 24 suggests he has real leadership qualities.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement