Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Victory for electoral fraud

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

FrStone wrote: »
    Nope, you are wrong.

If you are non resident you don't pay tax here, even if you are on the Irish payroll. Tax is paid in the country of residency. Some companies would set up a shadow payroll for those working abroad so it looks like you are paying tax to the Irish revenue, but at the end of the year your company claims it all back, and then pay the tax due on your employment abroad to the relevant foreign tax authorities.

What country of residency? The one you spend a week in January in? Or a fortnight in November? Be a good number for an accountant sorting that one out.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

What this referendum has highlighted even more clearly is the lack of security in our electoral system, how broken and open to abuse it is.

66,000 non-residents return to vote yes. Enda is overjoyed.

As far as I know, If you've lived in Ireland for three years or more within the last five years then your entitled to vote in referendums. This rule also applies to claiming third level grants and other things.

Most young emigrants work in Oz for a year or two. I'm fairly sure there's still almost half a million emigrants who stayed abroad, ie most of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

There are some exceptions to this. I know of a group of people living and working abroad and paying tax in Ireland.

Tax legislation doesn't provide for exceptions to this I'm afraid.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Well there weren't people saying on the news that they intended on voting twice...

There were people claiming that they were out of the country with years saying they flew home to vote. While I don't agree with his views on marriage, I do agree that electoral fraud was committed and is being celebrated by the media.

That said I don't agree with extending the right to vote to those abroad either.

I have yet to see an instance of voter fraud and certainly would love you to show me where fraud was celebrated in the media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭RecordStraight

Tax legislation doesn't provide for exceptions to this I'm afraid.
    You may well be right. The amusing thing is that they work for the government...

• Advertisement

What country of residency? The one you spend a week in January in? Or a fortnight in November? Be a good number for an accountant sorting that one out.:rolleyes:

You have to spend 183 days in Ireland a year to be resident here.

People are quoting stuff they heard from a friend in the pub here. Let's keep the discussion based on facts and logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

You have to spend 183 days in Ireland a year to be resident here.

People are quoting stuff they heard from a friend in the pub here. Let's keep the discussion based on facts and logic.

Or 200 over two years. We're talking about real events, and real people, not shite heard down the pub, and actual appeals with Registrars. If you are not resident anywhere else, and you work out of the country all year, you pay Irish tax and you have no vote.

Fact and logic.

Or 200 over two years. We're talking about real events, and real people, not shite heard down the pub, and actual appeals with Registrars. If you are not resident anywhere else, and you work out of the country all year, you pay Irish tax and you have no vote.

Fact and logic.

The 200 only really applies on the year you leave our return. It allows people who return in December for good, to elect to be resident on the basis they will be here next year.

You have no basis for your argument. If you are not Irish resident and work out of Ireland for the whole year, you won't pay a penny in tax to the Irish revenue. It is quite simple. It is provided for in legislation.

Grayson wrote: »
    same here in thailand :)
    and actually I was discussing it with friends in saigon this morning. We were laughing at some of the stupider no arguments, but still worried the vote might not pass
    I was convinced it wouldn't but so glad it did.. More pride than if Ireland had won the World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

Someone else added me to the register. I wasn't there. No form was filled. My name was just added. I have never been asked for ID when voting.

I have. I've voted in essentially every election/referendum for the last 10 years, and even though the guy at the polling station knew my Dad personally & I arrived with him, I was still ID'd the first couple of times and sporadically after that.

Wasn't ID'd yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Must depend on the polling station then.

I find it mind boggling how he can be on here celebrating the result while often banging the drum for a country that brutally represses homosexuals.:confused:

Your little dig, I assume, is at my oft verbalised opinion regarding the barrage of propaganda aimed at the country of Russia.

You mention that this country brutally represses homosexuals. A loaded statement and one I'm sure you will backup with examples and evidence. Should you come up with some appallingly amateurish connect to someone at the World Health Organisation determining that transgenderism is a mental condition and then using that to flag Russia as anti-gay because there it is prohibited to drive a car if you have a mental condition (ergo connecting the two) then don't waste your time typing back.

Homosexuality was decriminalised in Russia in 1993....the same year that it was decriminalised in Ireland.

It's still illegal, under punishment of death....that's DEATH, in many of the countries that you stipulate would be model societies. Not only that but Russia, this bastion of anti-gay oppression, does not have the penalty of killing someone as punishment for anything... a fact, no doubt, lost on you in your blinkered and spiteful approach to all things with which you are familiar and comfortable as being good, and all else negative, wretched and suspect.

Now roll the dice and take your chances regarding debating me about facts, the rule of law ...national and international....and where you think my sympathies lie.

If your mind boggles as to why I would celebrate this referendum result then it doesn't take much to boggle your shallow little mind.

Egginacup wrote: »
    Your little dig, I assume, is at my oft verbalised opinion regarding the barrage of propaganda aimed at the country of Russia.

You mention that this country brutally represses homosexuals. A loaded statement and one I'm sure you will backup with examples and evidence. Should you come up with some appallingly amateurish connect to someone at the World Health Organisation determining that transgenderism is a mental condition and then using that to flag Russia as anti-gay because there it is prohibited to drive a car if you have a mental condition (ergo connecting the two) then don't waste your time typing back.

Homosexuality was decriminalised in Russia in 1993....the same year that it was decriminalised in Ireland.

It's still illegal, under punishment of death....that's DEATH in many of the countries that you stipulate would be model societies. Not only that but Russia, this bastion of anti-gay oppression, does not have the penalty of killing someone as punishment, a fact no doubt lost on you in your blinkered and spiteful approach to all things with which you are familiar and comfortable and being good, and all else negative, wretched and suspect.

Now roll the dice and take your chances regarding debating me about facts, the rule of law ...national and international....and where you think my sympathies lie.

If your mind boggles as to why I would celebrate this referendum result then it doesn't take much to boggle your shallow little mind.
    In all fairness Russia is very anti gay.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/dispatches/videos/all/hunted

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

that's DEATH, in many of the countries that you stipulate would be model societies. 

I doubt anyone would consider countries where they execute homosexuals to be 'model societies'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Beat me to it but this documentary is a good starting point.

Egginacup wrote: »

It's still illegal, under punishment of death....that's DEATH, in many of the countries that you stipulate would be model societies. Not only that but Russia, this bastion of anti-gay oppression, does not have the penalty of killing someone as punishment for anything... a fact, no doubt, lost on you in your blinkered and spiteful approach to all things with which you are familiar and comfortable as being good, and all else negative, wretched and suspect.

Where the **** did i stipulate a society that kills homosexuals for being gay is a model society?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

What this referendum has highlighted even more clearly is the lack of security in our electoral system, how broken and open to abuse it is.

66,000 non-residents return to vote yes. Enda is overjoyed.

Non-Irish registered and voting and proud.

Because of today me my brother sister best friend etc and other people who have been bullied for their sexual orientation can declare their love for the person they love to their local community and the rest of the world through the most beautiful and special way possible.Ireland was a nasty horrible backwards country but it's not anymore and by god that was proved by the emphatic victory of the yes campaign.You guys took one hell of a beating.Ireland is now a country of love and tolerance and we proved that to the whole world with todays result.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

Because of today me my brother sister best friend etc and other people who have been bullied for their sexual orientation can declare their love for the person they love to their local community and the rest of the world.Ireland was a nasty horrible backwards country but it's not anymore and by god that was proved by the emphatic victory of the yes campaign.You guys took one hell of a beating.Ireland is now a country of love and tolerance and we proved that to the whole world.
    Sorry, so your entire family is gay? That's a bit mad isn't it? No one to continue your family line. That's sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

That is in fact incorrect. If they are out of the country more than 18 months they are breaking the law if they vote.

If you are not Irish and you voted yesterday you are also breaking the law.

I have a British passport and was born and raised in northern ireland yet I voted yesterday...should I hand myself into the garda immediately?

mfceiling wrote: »
    I have a British passport and was born and raised in northern ireland yet I voted yesterday...should I hand myself into the garda immediately?
    You are perhaps the one exception. Being born in the island of Ireland entitles you to vote as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

Sorry, so your entire family is gay? That's a bit mad isn't it? No one to continue your family line. That's sad.

Gay people can still have children

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

How would being gay stop someone having a child? (confused)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

spurious wrote: »
    How would being gay stop someone having a child? (confused)

Probably adapting to our new situation. Gay people could only have children if there was a yes vote. Remember all that campaigning for voting no to prevent them having children?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Probably adapting to our new situation. Gay people could only have children if there was a yes vote. Remember all that campaigning for voting no to prevent them having children?

<Abandons planned baby snatching foray.>

• Registered Users Posts: 25,408 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

You are perhaps the one exception. Being born in the island of Ireland entitles you to vote as far as I know.

I was born in England and hold an English passport yet am able to vote too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

He did not say his whole family only himself he said his bothers best friend. Why cant he continue his family line with surracacy when it is passed he could

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I think people in Northern Ireland can vote in Referendums or could have

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

For those unsure who can vote in what:

The right to vote is as follows:
    • Irish citizens may vote at every election and referendum;
    • British citizens may vote at Dáil elections, European elections and local elections;
    • Other European Union (EU) citizens may vote at European and local elections*
    • Non-EU citizens may vote at local elections only.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/introduction_to_the_irish_system/right_to_vote.html#l862a3

Now is that a video of Russian homosexuals being terrorised by Russian gay bashers or is it a video of Russian institutional persecution of homosexuals?

I could easily post footage of black people getting battered by cops or homeless people getting set on fire by utter scumbags in Missouri or Pennsylvania. Would that qualify as stating that America is "very anti-black" or "very anti-homeless"?

Hmm?

I was born in England and hold an English passport yet am able to vote too.

Unless you have Irish citizenship or are from the North you can't vote in Irish referenda. You can vote in everything else though.

• Advertisement

Grayson wrote: »
    I saw a lot of posts on FB today from people who said in their polling station the officials had bibles on their desks.

There is always a Bible in every Polling Station, at EVERY Election.

Advertisement