Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank League 2015-2016 Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Stainalert wrote: »
    Willie Staunton has signed for Old Belvedere apparently

Would have thought he would have went back to Terenure if leaving Munsters but obviously not

Fixtures released so should be up soon on IRFU site if not already

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 esterhayes

I wonder if the rumours about Ruddock coaching a schools team this year are true.

Which School?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭RuPi

I had heard Michael's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Leinster5 wrote: »
    Noel McNamara is the new UCD Head Coach which should improve their chances a lot in the AIL. Should know more about transfers in a week or two I'd imagine.
    Interesting. Will he improve them that much? They are still a university side so hard to see them being that close at end of season in terms of league honours
    Is Noel Mc the former coach of Clongowes? He is a quality coach and should climb up the ladder fairly quick !
    Been coaching provincial and irish age grade sides for a number of years now as well...
    blackdog1 wrote: »
    It's bad news for fringe platers or young players trying to break into senior squads as the charity cup is always used like a development league. Nice for a young lad to be involved 3 or 4 weeks in a season.
    I don't see it as bad for fringe or young players. Playing in this format will most likely see more players used and also gives clubs other games to try fringe/young players
    ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Fixtures released so should be up soon on IRFU site if not already
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/club/ulsterbankleagueandcup/fixtures.php

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Leinster5

RuPi wrote: »
    I had heard Michael's

He worked with Castleknock last year so I imagine he might help them out again, he's not working with St. Michael's.

Tough starts for Young Munster, Terenure, Old Belvedere and Ballynahinch. You'd expect Clontarf and Lansdowne to start well in first 4/5 fixtures.

Anyone have any idea on who's gone where ? I know Clontarf and Lansdowne have lost a few players.

Joey Carberry to Clontarf, Rossiter & Staunton to Belvo are the only major ones I have heard, although Wesley are rumoured to be making a pretty big signing which may raise a few eyebrows if true. UCD, trinity Terenure & Lansdowne primarily build through their 20s so would expect a few from each squad to step up to senior level this season especially Terenure who have had very good 20s teams the last 2 years so would expect them to start blooding a few this season. Dolphin along with Mary's are bound to loose a few with Cork Con probably benefiting from Dolphin who along with Young Munster have all new coaching set ups this season. Young Munster may do well from the few lads leaving Leinster clubs to join Munster academy and also have a good few decent 20s come thru

Hope Carbery plays 9 for Tarf.

Joey Carberry to Clontarf, Rossiter & Staunton to Belvo are the only major ones I have heard, although Wesley are rumoured to be making a pretty big signing which may raise a few eyebrows if true. UCD, trinity Terenure & Lansdowne primarily build through their 20s so would expect a few from each squad to step up to senior level this season especially Terenure who have had very good 20s teams the last 2 years so would expect them to start blooding a few this season. Dolphin along with Mary's are bound to loose a few with Cork Con probably benefiting from Dolphin who along with Young Munster have all new coaching set ups this season. Young Munster may do well from the few lads leaving Leinster clubs to join Munster academy and also have a good few decent 20s come thru
    Wesley making a big signing isn't that much of a surprise. Good strong side and plenty of backing.....
    Trinity wont be losing too many off their firsts and a lot of their 20s are underage again.....
    Munsters are looking at signing a NZr who's over in next few weeks afaik.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Carberry to Clontarf is a bit of a strange one, with Cronin at 9 and Du Toit behind him, and then Joyce at 10, there isn't a guarantee he'll get a lot of game time.

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    Carberry to Clontarf is a bit of a strange one, with Cronin at 9 and Du Toit behind him, and then Joyce at 10, there isn't a guarantee he'll get a lot of game time.

in theory he should be good enough to displace them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

It will have been thought out with Girvan and the Leinster Academy, he would be behind both half backs at UCD, so moving to Tarf has to have a purpose. Be interesting to see what position he plays.

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    It will have been thought out with Girvan and the Leinster Academy, he would be behind both half backs at UCD, so moving to Tarf has to have a purpose. Be interesting to see what position he plays.

could possibly play every position in the backline.. but you'd expect where he plays for tarf will indicate where leinster think he best fits long term.

Wesley making a big signing isn't that much of a surprise. Good strong side and plenty of backing.....
    Trinity wont be losing too many off their firsts and a lot of their 20s are underage again.....
    Munsters are looking at signing a NZr who's over in next few weeks afaik.....

New rules seem not to apply to some clubs where club houses still being given to players, not likely players will rat on themselves but in Dublin we all know the clubs with houses and how they use them, an open secret that doesn't seem to worry certain clubs as rules are only as good as the enforcement that is provided.

Brett Wilkinson new Buccs coach with Danie Poolman his assistant

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/35143.php#.VcEQ1E3bLcs

Any more news on coaching changes etc. No competitive games this weekend but from the following weekend clubs will be playing provincial leagues/cups in prep for the league....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Stainalert

RobbieRuns wrote: »

I think he has been told to focus on 9 by Leinster but that was pre world cup

Stainalert wrote: »
    I think he has been told to focus on 9 by Leinster but that was pre world cup

has been playing 10 this preseason but right now not as much cover there as scrumhalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Stainalert

esterhayes wrote: »
    has been playing 10 this preseason but right now not as much cover there as scrumhalf.

Good player - think he will do well for clontarf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭turtleshead

I thought that Garryowen had signed most of these players coming down from Leinster, that's what was stated on munsterfans, and wouldn't be surprised if true, do you know who has signed for what club?

• Advertisement

I thought that Garryowen had signed most of these players coming down from Leinster, that's what was stated on munsterfans, and wouldn't be surprised if true, do you know who has signed for what club?
    Oliver is with Garryowen as is Jordan Coghlan. Cant recall who Phelan is with.

Garryowen appear to be competing in an Invitational tournament in the Hague at the end of August. Any other games lined up?

Oliver is with Garryowen as is Jordan Coghlan. Cant recall who Phelan is with.

Garryowen appear to be competing in an Invitational tournament in the Hague at the end of August. Any other games lined up?

Personally I think munster should be dispersing players better to maximise they game time they get, Garryowen have Josh Hirstch, captain Sherry already in the back-row would imagine one of coughlan and Olivier would lose out on game time in the UBL, similar to Jamie Glynn signing when he was never going to oust Neil Cronin.

Personally I think munster should be dispersing players better to maximise they game time they get, Garryowen have Josh Hirstch, captain Sherry already in the back-row would imagine one of coughlan and Olivier would lose out on game time in the UBL, similar to Jamie Glynn signing when he was never going to oust Neil Cronin.
    How would you disperse players better? I agree Munster should be doing it better but how would you do it. Contracted players have to be in Division 1.

How would you disperse players better? I agree Munster should be doing it better but how would you do it. Contracted players have to be in Division 1.

Identify players incoming to the academy versus players registered to clubs, also could look at the clubs head coach their area of expertise and their track record on developing players, from that you could guide the players on what club to sign for based on where they would best develop. Right now it seems there is a monopoly on players going to certain clubs over others, I don't think that serves the best interest to those player(s) and ultimately their employer, example here is for munster, but think it equally applies to Connacht and Leinster in relation to players leaving school and joining academy directly.

Identify players incoming to the academy versus players registered to clubs, also could look at the clubs head coach their area of expertise and their track record on developing players, from that you could guide the players on what club to sign for based on where they would best develop. Right now it seems there is a monopoly on players going to certain clubs over others, I don't think that serves the best interest to those player(s) and ultimately their employer, example here is for munster, but think it equally applies to Connacht and Leinster in relation to players leaving school and joining academy directly.
    Thing is for most players in Munster and Connacht they will have been affiliated with and played with clubs all through age grade rugby which isn't the case in Leinster(Dublin) in a lot of cases. Like Greg O Shea, Shannon etc
    I don't see looking exactly what style a club coach has should come into the discussion.
    Connacht are very limited again with just 3 options for players(Corinthians, Buccs/Wegians) as Sligo are a non runner due to distance and even then Corinthians are now division 2 which limits any contracted players on edge of squads

Thing is for most players in Munster and Connacht they will have been affiliated with and played with clubs all through age grade rugby which isn't the case in Leinster(Dublin) in a lot of cases. Like Greg O Shea, Shannon etc
    I don't see looking exactly what style a club coach has should come into the discussion.
    Connacht are very limited again with just 3 options for players(Corinthians, Buccs/Wegians) as Sligo are a non runner due to distance and even then Corinthians are now division 2 which limits any contracted players on edge of squads

When I say club coach I mean I would think that for JP Phelan coming to Limerick he might develop better going to Shannon under Marcus Horan rather than playing under Paul Neville at Garryowen.

I take your point on affiliation to a club when it comes to underage but think a player can suffer as a result of making the wrong choice of club just cause he always played there so could be guided, if they want to go against guidance that is their right but the academy is about developing the player.

When I say club coach I mean I would think that for JP Phelan coming to Limerick he might develop better going to Shannon under Marcus Horan rather than playing under Paul Neville at Garryowen.

I take your point on affiliation to a club when it comes to underage but think a player can suffer as a result of making the wrong choice of club just cause he always played there so could be guided, if they want to go against guidance that is their right but the academy is about developing the player.

an academy player is going to do most of his training and development with the province bot the club.

Maybe he might but Phelan is in academy. He will be working with the academy and provincial coaches more than club coaches. Players are guided a lot in their choice of club if in academy/provincial system. Munster could be doing better but they do guide/direct players towards clubs....

esterhayes wrote: »
    an academy player is going to do most of his training and development with the province bot the club.

Understand and agree but they could be getting added coaching with the club on a Thursday night before a UBL game and during a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

It used to be more the case that players in Munster and Connacht stayed with their clubs all through age grade rugby to senior rugby, but this trend has changed in recent years a lot I would say. Some players have been brought into the academies and changed teams in recent years, G Lyons Shannon/Young Mun, Jack Cullen Bruff/Shannon, JOD waterpark/UL Bohs just as a few examples, they do not always stay at the same club. It would be more relevant to Connacht, but in reality the three teams mentioned Corinthians, Buccs and Wegians are the only options and sadly with Corinthians going down from 1B last year, you only have two clubs in the whole province to choose from, as you rightly say, very limited.

Advertisement