Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank League 2015-2016 Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭unce09f

Heffernan struggling against Dooley is hardly surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

SA09 wrote: »
    My point was that he was a better player going to RWC having had a year of AIL rather than a year of U20 rugby which would have been the case if he stayed in Lansdowne. Therefore it is important that young players choose their clubs wisely.

There are always exceptions where playing AIL wont make any difference as there are just better players playing in U20 leagues but for the most part - I would imagine Irish selectors would prefer to see players playing at that level.

Not the best example as he has dis improved since leaving Lansdowne. if I was a front row such as Heffernan I would have stayed put, never really knew what all the fuss was about him always thought him soft. He has the size but lacks motivation. Regardless of our thoughts about Ruddock he would have improved Heffernan if there was any improvement in him he does seem to get the best out of his forwards. I also heard that Young Dooley gave him a lesson in scrummaging last weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

Obviously a Lansdowne man

In his defence I don't think he has tried to hide that. Can't argue against him arguing his clubs corner

Tarf1234 wrote: »
    Must agree nowhere near the 2 of them. Really not a great example. Struggled significantly last year in AIL when I saw him. Doesn't look half the player of either of the above.

He is a good solid TH prospect, Leinster needed to sign a TH for the academy as there was none in there. They signed him and Loughman. Both will get plenty of time to develop in the academy as there is no rush there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Stainalert

My point was that he was a better player going to RWC having had a year of AIL rather than a year of U20 rugby which would have been the case if he stayed in Lansdowne. Therefore it is important that young players choose their clubs wisely.

There are always exceptions where playing AIL wont make any difference as there are just better players playing in U20 leagues but for the most part - I would imagine Irish selectors would prefer to see players playing at that level.

Fair comment

• Advertisement

Lansdowne have a good recent record with props: Martin Moore, Jack O'Connell and Peter Dooley.

unce09f wrote: »
    Lansdowne have a good recent record with props: Martin Moore, Jack O'Connell and Peter Dooley.

It really seems props in Leinster have only really come out of/developed in Tarf and Lansdowne for the last few years. With the exception of Ed Byrne and Jack McGrath.

He is a good solid TH prospect, Leinster needed to sign a TH for the academy as there was none in there. They signed him and Loughman. Both will get plenty of time to develop in the academy as there is no rush there.

Fair to a certain extent, still don't thing he is good enough to make it long term. Thankfully TF and MM have plenty left in the tank

It really seems props in Leinster have only really come out of/developed in Tarf and Lansdowne for the last few years. With the exception of Ed Byrne and Jack McGrath.

UCD possibly bucking that trend now but a bit early to tell - Think Loughman and Porter are both pretty decent prospects

Fair to a certain extent, still don't thing he is good enough to make it long term. Thankfully TF and MM have plenty left in the tank

me either at least not at leinster. Although stranger things have happened.

• Advertisement

Stainalert wrote: »
    UCD possibly bucking that trend now but a bit early to tell - Think Loughman and Porter are both pretty decent prospects

Porter almost certainly the next LH to join the academy. Really like what i've seen from him.

Loughman a good LH prospect too, if he scrummage at TH effectively he could be a very good prospect there.

I think there is question marks over Loughman but think he is an exciting prospect. With Healy, McGrath and Byrne all with Leinster and all relatively young, Porter may have to wait for a long time before he gets his break. Could easily lead to him moving. He is a huge man though and this will definitely help him in the short term.

Pretty sure Jack Power hasn't left UCD, he is listed on their website as being in their senior squad.

I think there is question marks over Loughman but think he is an exciting prospect. With Healy, McGrath and Byrne all with Leinster and all relatively young, Porter may have to wait for a long time before he gets his break. Could easily lead to him moving. He is a huge man though and this will definitely help him in the short term.

question marks if he can hold up at TH but a lot of potential there and room for development.

Byrne's struggles with injury and Healy/McGrath being away a lot should help Dooley get some gametime.

Personally if I was Leinster i'd try to convert Ed Byrne to hooker, have the byrne twins there ready to go with Dundon retiring after this season and Tracy probably not being upto standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Porter almost certainly the next LH to join the academy. Really like what i've seen from him.

Loughman a good LH prospect too, if he scrummage at TH effectively he could be a very good prospect there.

Porter & Loughman both excellent, re developing Props the club game is great place for them to develop. I really wouldn't sign a prop into an academy until he has 2 years under his belt at a club. They play week in week out if injury free and really get a great schooling. All for them being part of the system in a province such as sub academy but they need to play AIL club rugby to truly develop & toughen up and gives them an incentive to continue developing

Oisin Heffernan/Jeremy Loughman are likely to play a lot of club rugby over the next two/three years aswell as A rugby, assuming they stay healthy.
    Andrew Porter is playing well for UCD this year and is still only under-20.
    Peter Dooley has played a large amount of AIL rugby while in the academy too.
    Ed Byrne has barely played for UCD due to injuries, although anytime he has been called upon by Leinster he has played pretty well.

Not sure if Hirst/RBF will be at leinster long term. Would be nice if RBF was a pro 12 standard TH. Hirst playing 3 for Clontarf these days too.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭SA09

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Porter & Loughman both excellent, re developing Props the club game is great place for them to develop. I really wouldn't sign a prop into an academy until he has 2 years under his belt at a club. They play week in week out if injury free and really get a great schooling. All for them being part of the system in a province such as sub academy but they need to play AIL club rugby to truly develop & toughen up and gives them an incentive to continue developing

Agreed - I think AIL is perfect spot for front rows (more so than any other position) to develop when theyre younger and groom them to reach their potential in mid twenties for pro sides.. not props are freaks of nature like cian healy!!

Agreed - I think AIL is perfect spot for front rows (more so than any other position) to develop when theyre younger and groom them to reach their potential in mid twenties for pro sides.. not props are freaks of nature like cian healy!!

props and locks anyway.

scrumhalves and outhalves to a degree too.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭SA09

Oisin Heffernan/Jeremy Loughman are likely to play a lot of club rugby over the next two/three years aswell as A rugby, assuming they stay healthy.
    Andrew Porter is playing well for UCD this year and is still only under-20.
    Peter Dooley has played a large amount of AIL rugby while in the academy too.
    Ed Byrne has barely played for UCD due to injuries, although anytime he has been called upon by Leinster he has played pretty well.

Not sure if Hirst/RBF will be at leinster long term. Would be nice if RBF was a pro 12 standard TH. Hirst playing 3 for Clontarf these days too.

To be fair to RBF, he has been a rock for Clontarf for years but he's not cut out for the next level up (only from what ive seen of one pro 12 game) - still great to see AIL players getting an opportunity and he's not too far off.

Hirst is prob too far down the pecking order - id imagine he will sign for someone else following his stint with leinster?

To be fair to RBF, he has been a rock for Clontarf for years but he's not cut out for the next level up (only from what ive seen of one pro 12 game) - still great to see AIL players getting an opportunity and he's not too far off.

Hirst is prob too far down the pecking order - id imagine he will sign for someone else following his stint with leinster?

I don't expect either at Leinster past this season tbh.

• Advertisement

Is it true Knockon.ie is calling it a day?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Where is that coming from?

Where is that coming from?

http://www.knockon.ie/2015/09/30/grassroots-funding-dramatically-cut/

See comments below the main article

That's what it looks like. Not a bad article as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Leinster5

Max Deegan & James Ryan have joined Lansdowne. I imagine they aren't going their to play 20's rugby if both had nice offers from UCD.

Exposure to AIL straight out of school has massive benefits. Look at the good it did for the likes of Gilsenan, Timony, Oliver, Molony, Leavy etc. All of them played straight out of school and it helped them get club offers immediately if they didn't already have one lined up.

Ruddock must have promised Irish U20s !!

Leinster5 wrote: »
    Max Deegan & James Ryan have joined Lansdowne. I imagine they aren't going their to play 20's rugby if both had nice offers from UCD.

Exposure to AIL straight out of school has massive benefits. Look at the good it did for the likes of Gilsenan, Timony, Oliver, Molony, Leavy etc. All of them played straight out of school and it helped them get club offers immediately if they didn't already have one lined up.

I was told by someone very involved with Lansdowne that Ryan was with UCD.
    Gilsenan/Molony and Leavy all joined UCD, it had little effect postive or negative on them making the academy as they were already in the academy setup.
    Not sure it made a massive difference for Timoney/Oliver that he played AIL, as both failed to make the leinster academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

This weekends fixtures

1A
    Ballynahinch v Old Belvedere
    Cork Con v UCD
    Galwegians v Lansdowne
    Terenure v Garryowen
    Young Munster v Clontarf
    Think Con will be the only side to win at home this weekend. UCD have scored a lot in their opening 3 games but I just have a feeling Con may edge them this weekend
    Don't see Belvo having too many issues against Ballynahinch and the same with Lansdowne in Galway. Garryowen and Terenure should be a super game. Don't see it being too high scoring a game but Garryowen to nick it.

1B
    Belfast Harlequins v Buccaneers
    Blackrock v St Mary's
    Dolphin v Old Wesley
    Dublin University v UL Bohs
    Shannon v Ballymena

Blackrock and Marys should have a huge crowd with the gate receipts going to the Berkeley Fund, set up for those caught up in Balcony disaster in US in the summer. Wesley to win again. Think Trinity will edge Bohemians now their hangover from World Uni Cup is over...

2A
    Banbridge v Nenagh
    Cashel v Naas
    Galway Corinthians v Thomond
    Queens University v Skerries
    UCC v Malone

Banbridge have started the season very well and as they've had a few more games may edge Nenagh who were impressive in their opening game last weekend but may just lose out to their hosts whove played that bit more and may be a bit sharper.
    Could be an excellent game in Tipp based on performance so far for both Cashel and Naas. Home advantage to give it to Cashel. Just.
    Corinthians have started poorly and wont have it any easier with Thomond visiting but I feel they may eke out a win to kick start their season. Skerries are bringing out a few younger players through this season but still have plenty of experience through their side and this experience should get them over the line against Queens

2B
    City Of Derry v Armagh
    Greystones v Seapoint
    Highfield v Dungannon
    MU Barnhall v Bective Rangers
    Rainey OB v Sundays Well
    Derry Armagh game the stand out here. Derry have started very well and a win here will really boost their promotion chances. Bective travel to Barnhall and look to have really upped their game from a very poor season last year and should get another win which would over take their points total from the entirety of last season in just 4 games. Dungannon also have improved a lot on last season but will find things very difficult against another side who are bringing through a good number of players from promising age grade sides, Highfield.

2C
    Bruff v Kanturk
    Old Crescent v Boyne
    Sligo v Midleton
    Tullamore v Navan
    Wanderers v Dundalk

Dundalk were very good last season yet are 0/3 and travel to face Wanderers this weekend. Cant see a win here for the Louth side. Navan to just about edge Tullamore. Bruff to stay top and could win well against Kanturk. Bruff have had some very strong underage sides in recent years and are getting some of these through to their senior set up and could push back up the divisions again soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭phog

Yes, they've tweeted they're gone. Seem to closing down their Twitter account too. Big loss to domestic rugby.

• Advertisement

1A
    Ballynahinch v Old Belvedere - Hinch to get off the mark

Cork Con v UCD - Con if they can be a bit more than clinical than they have been

Galwegians v Lansdowne - Lansdowne but will be very tight

Terenure v Garryowen - Terenure have lots of injuries so going to say Garryowen

Young Munster v Clontarf - Clontarf to win well

1B
    Belfast Harlequins v Buccaneers - Buccs

Blackrock v St Mary's - Think Marys will shade this

Dolphin v Old Wesley - Wesley BP win

Dublin University v UL Bohs - Trinity to get going

Shannon v Ballymena - Ballymena BP win

Advertisement