Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Bank League 2015-2016 Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

Was at Tarf v Con. Was an atrocious game with no buzz at all. Ref Dave Wilkinson blew his whistle all day which didn't help matters. Tarf very poor for 60 minutes of the game and almost stole it at the end. Con should have won a lot more comfortably.

Interesting result in OB v Lansdowne. Belvo looking a lot stronger than I expected

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

ronanc1000 wrote: »
    I wonder how many current U20 club players, play D1A or 1B AIL regularly? That would be an interesting stat I think. Id say not too many. I'd imagine if they are, they are talented guys buzzing around either in or around provincial setups.
    Depends on the club. University clubs like UCD will have more playing considering ....
    Trinity don't have too many under 20 players involved in their first XV
    Will vary from place to place....
    Of course there wont be too many. Some other clubs with young enough teams playing include Nenagh, Kanturk....

Depends on the club. University clubs like UCD will have more playing considering ....
    Trinity don't have too many under 20 players involved in their first XV
    Will vary from place to place....
    Of course there wont be too many. Some other clubs with young enough teams playing include Nenagh, Kanturk....

I wouldn't expect it too be too many either. While the average age of squads has dropped drastically over the last 10 years You still don't see too many U20s starting or playing week in week out.

Tarf1234 wrote: »
    I wouldn't expect it too be too many either. While the average age of squads has dropped drastically over the last 10 years You still don't see too many U20s starting or playing week in week out.
    At Division 1 level yes but a quick scan through teams and Nenagh Ormonds team from the weekend before last had 6 players involved born in 1995, 2 in 1994, 1 in 1993 which is nearly half their squad
    You wont see too many under 20s playing as many wont physically be able for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Stainalert

At Division 1 level yes but a quick scan through teams and Nenagh Ormonds team from the weekend before last had 6 players involved born in 1995, 2 in 1994, 1 in 1993 which is nearly half their squad
    You wont see too many under 20s playing as many wont physically be able for it

I think early 20's is a different story - Most clubs AIL squads are littered with players in their very early 20s

• Advertisement

Stainalert wrote: »
    I think early 20's is a different story - Most clubs AIL squads are littered with players in their very early 20s
    Early 20s is a different story but most clubs wont have 8/9 guys in their early 20s like that either in a lot of cases.

With all talk in other threads about development etc. What has to change in AIL for future seasons?

Early 20s is a different story but most clubs wont have 8/9 guys in their early 20s like that either in a lot of cases.

With all talk in other threads about development etc. What has to change in AIL for future seasons?

I've heard talk about reducing the AIL to 2 divisions of 10 and focusing all contracted players in those 2 leagues, bring back a level of professionalism (pay). Remove the A fixtures and have academy and development contracted players playing AIL week in week out. I personally do not see the value in the B&I cup for anyone. I think young guys would benefit hugely by playing consistently in the AIL.

They really need to get rid of the limit on contracted players per match day squad as well. It is a non sense in this day and age. We are not going to see the ridiculousness of Ballymena bringing in 13 contracted players for a final again so I don't see the rules purpose.

I also reckon going to provincial leagues from below div 2(currently 1B) would remove a lot of the stress and financial trouble on smaller clubs trying to compete and travel around the country.

Rather worryingly I have also heard talk of going to 8 teams in the leagues which would be an awful step backwards.

I've heard talk about reducing the AIL to 2 divisions of 10 and focusing all contracted players in those 2 leagues, bring back a level of professionalism (pay). Remove the A fixtures and have academy and development contracted players playing AIL week in week out. I personally do not see the value in the B&I cup for anyone. I think young guys would benefit hugely by playing consistently in the AIL.

They really need to get rid of the limit on contracted players per match day squad as well. It is a non sense in this day and age. We are not going to see the ridiculousness of Ballymena bringing in 13 contracted players for a final again so I don't see the rules purpose.

I also reckon going to provincial leagues from below div 2(currently 1B) would remove a lot of the stress and financial trouble on smaller clubs trying to compete and travel around the country.

Rather worryingly I have also heard talk of going to 8 teams in the leagues which would be an awful step backwards.
    There is some talk of going to provincial leagues below the top 2 but it isn't wanted by current senior clubs or top junior clubs as there is more prestige/more marketing/promotional ability to market games/clubs from an all Ireland league than provincial league
    The removal of A fixtures wont happen as the provincial coaches wont want it as its a means to test the best club players/academy players at a level higher than club rugby and in the provincial patterns/moves etc.
    The limit on contracted players should be changed but it all depends on the level of play we are talking about. In the top flight yes but divisions 2/3? No. There should be a limit in the interests of player safety etc

Interesting to see Trinity were down to 11 at one stage following 4 yellow cards yet still held out against Wesley....

No games next weekend bar Cashel Nenagh in 2A Friday night and Sundays Well Barnhall in 2B Saturday

Cashel won Tipperary derby 15-3 tonight

• Advertisement

Thoughts for the weekend? Here are mine.

1A
    Nure v Tarf - Tarf win, strong Tarf team out. Can't wait for it.
    Con v Hinch - Con, comfortably. Hinch are in awful form.
    Wegians v UCD - Wegians. Should be a close one but Home advantage to pay off for wegians.
    Lansdowne v Garryowen - Garryowen going well and Lansdowne in poor form of late. Still think Lansdowne will have enough to win but hope I am wrong.
    Munsters v OB - On form Belvo but YM not an easy place to go. Belvo win

1B
    Rock v Bohs - Rock. Bohs looking like they have no D
    Dolphin v buccs - Away win for Buccs
    Trinity v B'Quins - Non contest. Quins look like their almost down already.
    Shannon v Old Wes - Wesley away win... Who would have thought Wesley would ever go to Shannon as favourites in the AIL??
    Marys v Ballymena - Marys. Think this will be very tight and is up there as game of the weekend with Nure v Tarf

Thoughts for the weekend? Here are mine.

1A
    Nure v Tarf - Tarf win, strong Tarf team out. Can't wait for it.
    Con v Hinch - Con, comfortably. Hinch are in awful form.
    Wegians v UCD - Wegians. Should be a close one but Home advantage to pay off for wegians.
    Lansdowne v Garryowen - Garryowen going well and Lansdowne in poor form of late. Still think Lansdowne will have enough to win but hope I am wrong.
    Munsters v OB - On form Belvo but YM not an easy place to go. Belvo win

1B
    Rock v Bohs - Rock. Bohs looking like they have no D
    Dolphin v buccs - Away win for Buccs
    Trinity v B'Quins - Non contest. Quins look like their almost down already.
    Shannon v Old Wes - Wesley away win... Who would have thought Wesley would ever go to Shannon as favourites in the AIL??
    Marys v Ballymena - Marys. Think this will be very tight and is up there as game of the weekend with Nure v Tarf
    Agree on 1A bar Garryowen who I think will beat Lansdowne.
    In 1B agree on all. On Wesley... all bar first year or two. Remember Wesley were one of those clubs who were expected to do well in AIL when it began.

Any thoughts on Division 2. Might do a preview later if I have time.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

1A
    Nure v Tarf - Tarf
    Con v Hinch - Con
    Wegians v UCD - UCD
    Lansdowne v Garryowen - L'sdowne
    Munsters v OB - Munsters

1B
    Rock v Bohs - Rock
    Dolphin v buccs - Dolphin
    Trinity v B'Quins - Trinity
    Shannon v Old Wes - Shannon
    Marys v Ballymena - Ballymena

• Registered Users Posts: 13 lukey967

Agree on 1A bar Garryowen who I think will beat Lansdowne.
    In 1B agree on all. On Wesley... all bar first year or two. Remember Wesley were one of those clubs who were expected to do well in AIL when it began.

Any thoughts on Division 2. Might do a preview later if I have time.

Judging by the Leinster team for this weekend, lansdowne will have all their young guns back. I'd expect them to win.

lukey967 wrote: »
    Judging by the Leinster team for this weekend, lansdowne will have all their young guns back. I'd expect them to win.

Do they have that many to get back from Leinster? Dooley anyway (that'll be huge for them) Kelleher. Can't for the life of me think of anyone else. They've still had the 2 Tom's as far as I'm aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Stainalert

lukey967 wrote: »

Leinster holding back a lot of young players for the A game next Thursday including Cian Kelleher.

UCD team in the Indo this morning doesn't have a lot of their more prominent young Leinster stars in it either Leavy, Ringrose , Moloney - still chocabloc with Leinster academy and underage stars though so expect them to go well.

Not a fan of A games :( - AIL a much better environment to learn in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 18 The Sceptic

My predictions for Division 2

Cashel v Malone (Cashel)
    Banbridge v Naas (Banbridge)
    Corinthians v Skerries (Skerries)
    Queens University v U.C.C. (Queens)
    Thomond v Nenagh Ormond (Nenagh)

Bective Rangers v Sundays Well (Bective)
    City Of Derry v Greystones (Derry)
    Highfield v Seapoint (Highfield)
    MU Barnhall v Armagh (Armagh)
    Rainey OB v Dungannon (Rainey)

Bruff v Midleton (Midleton)
    Navan v Kanturk (Navan)
    Old Crescent v Wanderers (Wanderers)
    Sligo v Dundalk (Sligo)
    Tullamore v Boyne (Tullamore)

Leinster holding back a lot of young players for the A game next Thursday including Cian Kelleher.

UCD team in the Indo this morning doesn't have a lot of their more prominent young Leinster stars in it either Leavy, Ringrose , Moloney - still chocabloc with Leinster academy and underage stars though so expect them to go well.

Same absolutely hate A game stuff. Don't see the value in it at all. Players playing for a team they don't care about against opposition who don't care if they win or lose.

Is that UCD side online anywhere?

UCD team in the Indo this morning doesn't have a lot of their more prominent young Leinster stars in it either Leavy, Ringrose, Moloney - still chocabloc with Leinster academy and underage stars though so expect them to go well.

A games are needed and as good but it depends on the balance between the two in relation to players learning

Cashel v Malone (Cashel)

Navan v Kanturk (Navan)
    Sligo v Dundalk (Sligo)
    Agree on 2A predictions. Think Greystones may beat Derry though Derry have started very strongly. And think Crescent will beat Wanderers
    Same absolutely hate A game stuff. Don't see the value in it at all. Players playing for a team they don't care about against opposition who don't care if they win or lose.

Is that UCD side online anywhere?
    There is plenty of value in the A games. Why do you assume/think players don't care about the team or results. Players are potentially playing for contracts in those games.
    Have you looked on Independent website???

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭madlad88

Cashel v Malone (Cashel)

Navan v Kanturk (Navan)
    Sligo v Dundalk (Sligo)

Cashel v Malone (Cashel looking stronger as the season goes on, fancy them to win easily)
    Banbridge v Naas (Banbridge unlucky to loose out to skerries last time, should have enough to beat Naas)
    Corinthians v Skerries (Very tough to call both had big wins in last 2 games, would fancy Corinthians bigger pack to over power skerries)
    Queens University v U.C.C. (Promises to be very open and high scoring game, Queens by a score)
    Thomond v Nenagh Ormond (Thomond by a point, very hard to beat at home)

Agree with 2B and 2C predictions

• Advertisement

There is plenty of value in the A games. Why do you assume/think players don't care about the team or results. Players are potentially playing for contracts in those games.
    Have you looked on Independent website???

I know a number of players who have played in B&I and don't value it. Where is the value in going over to some awful place in the UK to play a second string championship team who aren't interested in it or against principality teams. Surely we should be backing/aiming for the UBL to be as strong as the welsh version. I think strengthening the UBL is the real answer. More players released, more exposure given.

Tried the website but doesn't seem to be there.

I know a number of players who have played in B&I and don't value it. Where is the value in going over to some awful place in the UK to play a second string championship team who aren't interested in it or against principality teams. Surely we should be backing/aiming for the UBL to be as strong as the welsh version. I think strengthening the UBL is the real answer. More players released, more exposure given.

Tried the website but doesn't seem to be there.
    I would have heard mixed opinions on B&I from players and yes some championship sides now are putting second string teams in some games. That hasn't always been the case and working to get a sponsor and more meaningful prize money etc would go a long way to helping the competition. We wouldn't get the AIL near the welsh premiership and the Championship tbh.
    More players wont be released to play AIL. Just wont happen.

I would have heard mixed opinions on B&I from players and yes some championship sides now are putting second string teams in some games. That hasn't always been the case and working to get a sponsor and more meaningful prize money etc would go a long way to helping the competition. We wouldn't get the AIL near the welsh premiership and the Championship tbh.
    More players wont be released to play AIL. Just wont happen.

Agree on the Championship point but surely we should be aiming at the welsh. I am completely resigned to the fact that it won't happen. Doesn't stop me from wishing it would. I really can't understand why we wouldn't be trying to turn at least 1A into a strong semi pro competition.... but again plenty of people don't want to see that happen and are happy to see its decline...

Agree on the Championship point but surely we should be aiming at the welsh. I am completely resigned to the fact that it won't happen. Doesn't stop me from wishing it would. I really can't understand why we wouldn't be trying to turn at least 1A into a strong semi pro competition.... but again plenty of people don't want to see that happen and are happy to see its decline...
    Just isn't needed. Turning AIL 1A semi pro isn't possible for plenty of clubs and then you have the issue of clubs throwing money to just get to 1A etc etc

UCD team from indo
    B Daly, T Fletcher, J Power, S Murphy, A Bryne, B Holland, J Glynn, A Porter, S McNulty, J Loughman, G Thornbury, E McMahon, J Murphy, M McGroarty, P Timmins

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 ucdb0ller

Players like Leavy, Molony, Ringrose and Kelleher have all been named in Leinsters european squad, they won't playing much if any AIL this season.

That UCD team has 6 Leinster players: Byrne, Thornbury, McNulty, Loughman, Murphy & Timmins.
    Along with 2 probable future leinster academy players: Power & Porter.

I'd say very few players will be held out of AIL action this weekend because of the A game next thursday.

Leinster have done a very good job a player development using the AIL and A games, despite some people thinking the A game are a waste of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭turtleshead

Anybody catch any games this weekend? Went to YM and Belvo, game that YM controlled for large parts and left Belvo back in it, but were well worth the win and might rue not picking up the 4th try at the end, the YM scrum half again was excellent as well as Ben Kilkenny, Diarmuid Dee and Gearoid Lyons. Danny Riordan as usual stood out for Belvo and got a try but that was about it.

Anybody catch any games this weekend? Went to YM and Belvo, game that YM controlled for large parts and left Belvo back in it, but were well worth the win and might rue not picking up the 4th try at the end, the YM scrum half again was excellent as well as Ben Kilkenny, Diarmuid Dee and Gearoid Lyons. Danny Riordan as usual stood out for Belvo and got a try but that was about it.
    Saw Wegians and UCD. UCD well worth the win and should have won by much more. Adam Byrne very impressive with and without the ball but Timmins and McGroarty were the principal differences between the sides for me. Both were awesome

Division 1A
    Cork Con 32 Ballynahinch 23
    Galwegians 3 UCD 35
    Lansdowne 17 Garryowen 10
    Young Munster 20 Old Belvedere 18
    Terenure 3 Clontarf 13

Division 1B
    Blackrock College 14 UL Bohs 21
    Dolphin 24 Buccaneers 23
    Trinity 26 Belfast Harlequins 12
    Shannon 25 Old Wesley 17
    St Marys 26 Ballymena18

Division 2A
    Cashel 18 Malone 29
    Banbridge 11 Naas 0
    Corinthians 27 Skerries 9
    Queen's University 34 UCC 34
    Thomond 33 Nenagh Ormond 20

Division 2B
    Bective Rangers 17 Sunday's Well 35
    City of Derry 20 Greystones 17
    Highfield 14 Seapoint 3
    MU Barnhall 15 Armagh 29
    Rainey Old Boys 23 Dungannon 13

Division 2C
    Bruff 22 Midleton 25
    Navan 24 Kanturk 3
    Old Crescent 24 Wanderers 25
    Sligo 39 Dundalk 19
    Tullamore 21 Boyne 3

Was at Tarf Nure. Conditions were awful and it was a very messy game. Tarf always in control of the game and deserved winners but never looked like pulling away. Terenure appear to be very limited with the ball but dogged and strong in D

Prediction Time, I'll get the ball rolling:

1A:
    Hinch v Nure: Hinch win, as long as hinch haven't lost anyone to next weeks B&I
    Tarf v Wegians: Tarf, totally dependent on whether Wegains have had their Connacht guys released. Tarf team is still relatively strong.
    Belvo v Garryowen: Garryowen, Garryowen all Munster players released Belvo probably without Crosbie and Rory Loughlin. OB strength in depth is not great and will be tested.
    UCD v Lansdowne: 2 shadow teams I'd imagine so hard to call but I reckon Lansdowne win
    Munsters v Con: Munsters going relatively well but going for a con win.

1B:
    Quins v Shannon: Great bounce back from Shannon last week. Quins struggling massively and in desperate need of a win. Hard to see them getting it though.
    Dolphin v trin: Going Dolphin win. Can't imagine Trinity looking forward to the trip if the weather is due to be off
    Wesley v Rock: Tough one to call Wesley confidence must be very low after last 2 games, same could be said of Rock. Wesley win.
    UL v Marys: Good timing for Marys, they'll be missing a few with the A games but should still have enough to win.
    Buccs v Ballymena: Going for a Ballymena win away from home. Not sure how badly Buccs will be affected by A games

• Advertisement

Prediction Time, I'll get the ball rolling:

1A:
    Hinch v Nure: Hinch win, as long as hinch haven't lost anyone to next weeks B&I
    Tarf v Wegians: Tarf, totally dependent on whether Wegains have had their Connacht guys released. Tarf team is still relatively strong.
    Belvo v Garryowen: Garryowen, Garryowen all Munster players released Belvo probably without Crosbie and Rory Loughlin. OB strength in depth is not great and will be tested.
    UCD v Lansdowne: 2 shadow teams I'd imagine so hard to call but I reckon Lansdowne win
    Munsters v Con: Munsters going relatively well but going for a con win.

1B:
    Quins v Shannon: Great bounce back from Shannon last week. Quins struggling massively and in desperate need of a win. Hard to see them getting it though.
    Dolphin v trin: Going Dolphin win. Can't imagine Trinity looking forward to the trip if the weather is due to be off
    Wesley v Rock: Tough one to call Wesley confidence must be very low after last 2 games, same could be said of Rock. Wesley win.
    UL v Marys: Good timing for Marys, they'll be missing a few with the A games but should still have enough to win.
    Buccs v Ballymena: Going for a Ballymena win away from home. Not sure how badly Buccs will be affected by A games
    Ballynahinch only 1A team listed in paper today
    They do have Lorcan Dow, Zac McCall, Craig Trenier, Conor Joyce, all starting so may get the win....
    Would agree on Lansdowne if both missing players due to call ups etc and the other games I agree on 1A but think Trinity will beat Dolphin

Advertisement