Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-Irish voting today

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I look forward to every ballot since 2008 being overturned on account of Mrs BoJack Horseman.

Because I assumed they knew she wasn't Irish because .... she was already on the CoCo register!

..... And also (not wanting to sound too churlish) I couldn't care!
    Its been nearly a decade & the federales' haven't apprehended her yet!
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

I hope that all those returning home from abroad to vote so 2 blokes can get married will do the same at the general election when real change is needed.

why would you vote in an election you are not eligible to vote in?

Because i had a polling card with my name on it. Why else would i vote????
    I think that gives me the right to vote and overrules opinions on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

:confused:

Indeed.

So, the Lisbon treaty rolls around & she gets a polling card.

The council obviously modified her record to 'full Irish'.

And that was that.

Hilly Bill wrote: »

does your own opinion not count http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95589622&postcount=24 you said you are not Irish and by that I presume you mean you are not an Irish citizen.

• Advertisement

Indeed.

So, the Lisbon treaty rolls around & she gets a polling card.

The council obviously modified her record to 'full Irish'.

why?

why?

You should probably ask Wicklow CoCo why they modified her eligibility status.

are you guys trolling are we in a joke forum?

What? foreigners can't post on here now?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

bmwguy wrote: »
    I have 2 votes. One in my hometown and 1 where I live now. 3 miles apart. When I mentioned this to some people 2 others said they also did, local enough to each other too

You don't have two votes, your on two registries - you are still only entitled to vote once!

I don't know how it works now as I'm a long way from Irish politics. But 30 yeas a go I acted as a candidate's agent and we had watch lists of people who were listed on more the one register!

You should probably ask Wicklow CoCo why they modified her eligibility status.

I presume because you didn't inform them when the council worker called round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I hope that all those returning home from abroad to vote so 2 blokes can get married will do the same at the general election when real change is needed.

Why? They are all breaking the law by voting today.

Ludo wrote: »
    Why? They are all breaking the law by voting today.

How?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

Better half said that several non-Irish people at her work voted today. They were under the false impression that after 5 years they could if they were EU citizens. This is totally incorrect.

Presumably this is a criminal offence. If it was up to me it would be mandatory jail time followed by deportation.

The security of our electoral system is a joke.

There is far greater voting fraud going on amongst Irish people than among the EU citizens who are here.

The only place you are entitled to be registered to vote and vote is where you live (save for third level students who apparently find that too challenging to manage). Yet everyone knows than people are committing voter fraud by voting at places they lived years ago and in some cases with at their parents years after they left home). Hell there are posts of people returning to Ireland from where they live abroad to vote and no one cares about that.

Beside that the number of long-term resident EU citizens who will commit voter fraud by voting (and be allowed to vote by officials) pales into insignificance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

How?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/introduction_to_the_irish_system/right_to_vote.html
    Overseas voters
    If you are an Irish citizen living abroad you cannot be entered on the register of electors. This means that you cannot vote in an election or referendum here in Ireland. (The only exception to this is in the case of Irish officials on duty abroad (and their spouses) who may register on the postal voters list).

I'm all for a yes outcome but not too keen on this #hometovote thing.

I presume because you didn't inform them when the council worker called round.

I know.... I made the mistake in expecting an Irish civil servant to accurately use the information that they already had.

Live & learn eh!

I know.... I made the mistake in expecting an Irish civil servant to accurately use the information that they already had.

Live & learn eh!

you could have helped her out and made it clear, it sounds like you didn't really want to, now your wife is voting, apparently illegally.

It not an offence to be on register nor receive a polling card, but neither of those things give you the right to vote. But you do commit an offence when you stand in from of a polling officer an apply for a voting paper and that is why the polling officer has the power to instruct a guard to arrest you (note the guard has no choice in the matter), require you take the oath etc...

Yes.

what kind of mark would like to see and example of that.

oh its these letters ? from checktheregister.ie

[*] Election Type
    Entitlement to vote, based on citizenship outlined below:

Local Elections /European Elections /Dail Elections /Referendum or Presidential Election
    Resident Irish citizens (P)* YES YES YES YES
    Resident British citizens (D)* YES YES YES NO
    Resident EU citizens (E)* YES YES NO NO
    Resident Non-EU citizens (L)* YES NO NO NO

http://www.galway.ie/ereg/details.aspx?v=LV&id=ScafQ8fC99Y%3D

you could have helped her out and made it clear, it sounds like you didn't really want to, now your wife is voting, apparently illegally.

Guess who will be in the dog house if she ever gets caught! Being taken away from the polling station in handcuffs by the Gardai is not something most wives are likely to let slide :D

you could have helped her out and made it clear,
    Or, I couldn't give a sh*t.
    Its not my job to help the inept do theirs
    now your wife is voting, apparently illegally.
    We await the police sirens & supreme court challenges.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I've turned away several non Irish registered to vote in other elections. I've also had naturalised Irish viote on presentation of a passport.

Ludo wrote: »

Sounds like a good reason to call the result null and void.

Or, I couldn't give a sh*t.
    Its not my job to help the inept do theirs

its is up to you/your wife to have correct details
    Correction of Details

If you are on the draft Register of Electors but your details are incorrect you may claim to have a correction made by completing an application form RFA1
    https://www.checktheregister.ie/appforms/RFA1_English_Form.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Jim2007 wrote: »
    You don't have two votes, your on two registries - you are still only entitled to vote once!

I don't know how it works now as I'm a long way from Irish politics. But 30 yeas a go I acted as a candidate's agent and we had watch lists of people who were listed on more the one register!

I didn't vote anyway as I have no strong opinions on either amendment, neither will affect my life or anyone close to me (but it would mean I could run for president earlier than previous) but if I did feel strongly I would certainly have voted twice and they both would have counted towards the result. I am sure many did and not a hope they would be caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

If 'non Irish' people are living in Ireland and can get on the voting register, I don't see any huge problem in them voting. At least they'd be showing a bit more interest than many of our Irish citizens.

By way, anecdotally I hear that African immigrants are inclined to vote no in this marriage referendum - not really their style perhaps.

BarryD wrote: »
    If 'non Irish' people are living in Ireland and can get on the voting register, I don't see any huge problem in them voting. At least they'd be showing a bit more interest than many of our Irish citizens.

being on the register or not is not the issue its whether they are citizens are not.

depending on election http://www.galway.ie/ereg/details.aspx?v=LV&id=ScafQ8fC99Y%3D

Jim2007 wrote: »
    It not an offence to be on register nor receive a polling card, but neither of those things give you the right to vote. But you do commit an offence when you stand in from of a polling officer an apply for a voting paper and that is why the polling officer has the power to instruct a guard to arrest you (note the guard has no choice in the matter), require you take the oath etc...

The polling card in my name gives me the right to vote. No polling card-No vote simples. If by filling the registration forms when asked with all the correct details of my nationality and years of residency here and they send me out a polling card at election times then ive a right to vote.
    Anyone with an issue with it should take a case at the supreme court etc and get all the elections ive voted in to be declared null and void.

I've turned away several non Irish registered to vote in other elections. I've also had naturalised Irish viote on presentation of a passport.

Did they have a polling card with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Did they have a polling card with them?
    No.
    But equally if a person with a polling card was asked for Id and didn't have an Irish citizenship ID I could have them arrested for fraud and impersonating an iiriah citizen

• Advertisement

The polling card in my name gives me the right to vote. No polling card-No vote simples. If by filling the registration forms when asked with all the correct details of my nationality and years of residency here and they send me out a polling card at election times then ive a right to vote.
    Anyone with an issue with it should take a case at the supreme court etc and get all the elections ive voted in to be declared null and void.

what did you write on the original form? did you say you were a citizen or not?

Advertisement