Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-Irish voting today

Options
  • 22-05-2015 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭

Better half said that several non-Irish people at her work voted today. They were under the false impression that after 5 years they could if they were EU citizens. This is totally incorrect.

Presumably this is a criminal offence. If it was up to me it would be mandatory jail time followed by deportation.

The security of our electoral system is a joke.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I guess it balances out all of that Legatus money. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

My American wife voted today, as she did at the presidential & 2011 general election.

She never registered herself.
    Many years ago, a council worker went door to door collecting names for the electoral roll.

Verification is a joke alright.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

My wife wasn't asked for proof of ID. .......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

My American wife voted today, as she did at the presidential & 2011 general election.

Many years ago, a council worker went door to door collecting names for the electoral roll.

Verification is a joke alright.
    Does she know it's electoral fraud and can carry severe penalties?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Better half said that several non-Irish people at her work voted today. They were under the false impression that after 5 years they could if they were EU citizens. This is totally incorrect.

Presumably this is a criminal offence. If it was up to me it would be mandatory jail time followed by deportation.

The register should record if a person is Irish/EU/or non EU, but as you say record keeping is not good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭fed up sick and tired

I wonder about your vehemence in relation to the punishment, since it is out of all proportion to the seriousness with which the state views the crime.

Why so extreme ?

I wonder about your vehemence in relation to the punishment, since it is out of all proportion to the seriousness with which the state views the crime.

Why so extreme ?
    Okay, in the UK you can get 5 years in prison. Someone making a mockery of our democracy and you think it's a minor thing?

Okay, in the UK you can get 5 years in prison. Someone making a mockery of our democracy and you think it's a minor thing?

But first you said they were under a false impression ? Now you're saying they're making a mockery of our democracy ?

They're two very different things, even if ignorance of the law is no defence.

What makes a mockery of the system, and it's no minor thing, is the people who are charged with protecting it, being so cavalier about it.

But you didn't ask for them to be given mandatory jail time, did you ?

You do want mandatory jail time for foreigners as well as deportation.

Why did you just focus on one side of the equation , the arguably less culpable side by your first account ?

And by the way, what reason do you have to believe that I think it a minor thing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I see the no side are getting their excuses in early.

Yup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

why?

What do you mean ?

do they have different marks for non-citizens on role?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

Well this is disapointing....

While many probably do have Citizenship it sounds way too easy to register. Voting Registers should record somone's status more clearly.

Is it possible the result could be challenged on these grounds??

But first you said they were under a false impression ? Now you're saying they're making a mockery of our democracy ?

They're two very different things, even if ignorance of the law is no defence.

What makes a mockery of the system, and it's no minor thing, is the people who are charged with protecting it, being so cavalier about it.

But you didn't ask for them to be given mandatory jail time, did you ?

You do want mandatory jail time for foreigners as well as deportation.

Why did you just focus on one side of the equation , the arguably less culpable side by your first account ?

And by the way, what reason do you have to believe that I think it a minor thing ?

ignorance of the law is no defence. I am pretty sure this rumour was spread by people wanting to up the yes vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I love the way you phrase this, almost as if they just got it in their head that they could simply wander up and vote.

You say they were under the impression they were entitled to vote.
    Someone put them on the electoral register. Maybe blame that person?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod: Not really on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Yes.

Yes & when she first lived here & registered to vote that was her status: local council elections only.

Shortly after we moved house a woman from the council called round taking names to update the register, no clarification or ID sought.... Just a name & DOB & she moved on.

Better my wife participate than the 30-40% of paddies who couldn't be arsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

What do you mean ?

This
    Well this is disapointing....

While many probably do have Citizenship it sounds way too easy to register. Voting Registers should record somone's status more clearly.

Is it possible the result could be challenged on these grounds??

It happened after the Scottish referendum where their were claims of vote rigging and such and if the no side lose we will hear the same arguments.

• Advertisement

ignorance of the law is no defence. I am pretty sure this rumour was spread by people wanting to up the yes vote.

Why are you pretty sure of that ? What evidence have you to back that assertion up ?

I'd also like to know of which nationality are these non-Irish voters you are speaking of, please ? And why you think they are 'yes' voters ?

Yes & when she first lived here & registered to vote that was her status: local council elections only.

Shortly after we moved house a woman from the council called round taking names to update the register, no clarification or ID sought.... Just a name & DOB & she moved on.

Better she participate than the 30-40% of paddies who couldn't be arsed.
    you are kidding right if she's not a citizen she can't vote your opening up the vote to be challenged in court

why would you allow council person to walk away without being clear on her position

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

I'm not Irish and have voted in every election and referendum in the last 18 years. I filled out all the forms, got a polling card and voted.
    It seems that your issue is with non irish voting not the legal side of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

I have 2 votes. One in my hometown and 1 where I live now. 3 miles apart. When I mentioned this to some people 2 others said they also did, local enough to each other too

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    I'm not Irish and have voted in every election and referendum in the last 18 years. I filled out all the forms, got a polling card and voted.
    why would you vote in an election you are not eligible to vote in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Irish citizens may vote at every election and referendum;
    British citizens may vote at Dáil elections, European elections and local elections;
    Other European Union (EU) citizens may vote at European and local elections*
    Non-EU citizens may vote at local elections only.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/introduction_to_the_irish_system/right_to_vote.html

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

If it was deliberate you might have a point, but as you have already pointed out it was a mistake on their part.

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    It seems that your issue is with non irish voting not the legal side of it.

I agree with you that the poster is in danger of appearing hostile to voters on the basis that they are not Irish.

bmwguy wrote: »
    I have 2 votes. One in my hometown and 1 where I live now. 3 miles apart. When I mentioned this to some people 2 others said they also did, local enough to each other too
    Correction of Details

If you are on the draft Register of Electors but your details are incorrect you may claim to have a correction made by completing an application form RFA1
    https://www.checktheregister.ie/appforms/RFA1_English_Form.pdf

• Advertisement

you are kidding right if she's not a citizen she can't vote your opening up the vote to be challenged in court

I look forward to every ballot since 2008 being overturned on account of Mrs BoJack Horseman.
    why would you allow council person to walk away without being clear on her position

Because I assumed they knew she wasn't Irish because .... she was already on the CoCo register!

..... And also (not wanting to sound too churlish) I couldn't care!
    Its been nearly a decade & the federales' haven't apprehended her yet!

Advertisement