Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way of moving bales?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I have a draw of 1 mile each way with a 22 foot trailer .I can easily shift and stack 14 in 50-55 minutes so in 160 minutes i would draw 42 bales so matching the keltec !!!! and including hitching and unhitching but no straps and the shoe to the floor for most of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

cute geoge wrote: »
    I have a draw of 1 mile each way with a 22 foot trailer .I can easily shift and stack 14 in 50-55 minutes so in 160 minutes i would draw 42 bales so matching the keltec !!!! and including hitching and unhitching but no straps and the shoe to the floor for most of the time

Not reallly a fair comparison though. kinda like when jeremy clarkson proved that a bmw m3 was more fuel effieient than a prius.
    You are comparing you in a best case scenario to a keltec not running in ideal conditions.
    Just for example your best from field to yard is 50/55 minutes.
    You say 'easily ' but 'shoe to the floor ' for most of the time .
    AFAIK you arent legal with the top row not strapped eithre . Whats the time when you strap them down?

Also how long would it take you if you had to drop the trailer in a field next to the yard like KG above .
    Ive seen lads quote 60/70 bales an hour with the keltec on three quarters of a mile draw. 20 bales in 50 minutes for a mile as above seems very small in comparison so it seems to me that it must have been akward small fields with a tight yard and inexperienced operator

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

The metrics I've heard from lads with both type systems is.

For a 5 mile draw or less a keltec trailer is unmatched, above this distance a bale trailer is the most efficient.

The only thing with a keltec is if you are stacking you need a dedicated loader tractor in the yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

90min to load, draw and stack 21 bales on 3 mile draw each way on back roads. 32' bale trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

1 hour to load move and stack 17 bales on a 3 mile draw each way. 26 foot trailer and seperate stacker vehicle. there are a lot of variabs with this. 16 minutes per load on a 1 mile draw with an 8 bale keltec with a man in the field lining them up in the batches of 4 either side. its very much dependent on a lot of things, drivers, quality of roa, terrain of field, quality of bales! what might work for 1 man might eb a disaster for the next man..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

I only stuck this because i timed it and it was a straight comparison-same road same fields same heap but for me id hire a super move and do the stacking myself as stacking only requires 1.5minutes work per bale for me whereas if i hired another tractor and handlers it would mean almost 7minutes work per bale for me.well isuppose you should hakf that to allow for second tractor as you would only touch half the bales

Advertisement